Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

No ethernet? Sounds nice but I don't think I'll get one unless there is ethernet. I have 64 bit Windows and the USB RNDIS drivers don't work on it.

Anhaedra posted on Apr 30 2006 at 08:29 AM said:
No ethernet? Sounds nice but I don't think I'll get one unless there is ethernet. I have 64 bit Windows and the USB RNDIS drivers don't work on it.
that seems odd, 64bit windows should include rndis drivers aswell, which should work. perhaps you can report this bug to microsoft, im sure they'd be interrested to know about such a dealbreaking bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redeeman posted on Apr 30 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
Anhaedra posted on Apr 30 2006 at 08:29 AM said:
that seems odd, 64bit windows should include rndis drivers aswell, which should work. perhaps you can report this bug to microsoft, im sure they'd be interrested to know about such a dealbreaking bug.

Nope, there aren't any 64-bit RNDIS drivers. And I'm sure Microsoft couldn't give less of a shit about the GP2X community not being able to use their open source Linux handhelds in 64-bit Windows.

I also have a xbox to usb cable. The drivers are open source if that helps at all.

Wow, this is great! So now I can play what ever games I want on the go or in console form...SAH-WEET! :)

So I presume that there will be no composite TV out on the finished BoB? If we can only have one or the other I'd go for composite over s-video. I know s-video is better quality but most TVs don't have svideo.

Cheap place in the UK to buy s-video to SCART cables anyone?

Techfreak- would I still be able to use the gp2xs built-in USB port whilst the bob is plugged in (I really want 4 USB ports)

Does anybody know anything about the status of xorg running on the GP2X? Has anyone even tried yet?

amule, firefox, xchat and gaim on the gp2x anyone?

danboid posted on May 7 2006 at 04:38 AM said:
Techfreak- would I still be able to use the gp2xs built-in USB port whilst the bob is plugged in (I really want 4 USB ports)

If you mean the one on the side, yes I don't see why not, that is connected to an external (to the MMSP2 that is, the chip with everything but the tv-encoder and the USB Slave chips on it) chip.

But it isn't host, so no connecting devices too it. :)

I don't have my 2x yet which might explain my question.

What exactly does this do?

I'm thinking it is an adapter of some sort to allow you to use all of those input/outputs through the 2x serial I/O?

uhhh, its USB host, aka its like usb ports on your computer, plus other things, i use commas way too much

lintsniffer posted on May 20 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
I don't have my 2x yet which might explain my question.

What exactly does this do?

I'm thinking it is an adapter of some sort to allow you to use all of those input/outputs through the 2x serial I/O?

If by "allow you to use all of those input/outputs through the 2x serial I/O" you mean connects you to the USB Host and TV-Out on the EXT port, then yes.

I don't think the Serial I/O has anything to do with it, the USB on the side with the power cable will allow the same function as the serial port for debugging or developing, so there is no more need for the serial rs-232 cables in most cases.

Did you even look at the pictures?

I guess you are likely confusing "serial I/O" with the EXT port on the bottom of the GP2X.

nubie posted on May 20 2006 at 05:58 PM said:
Did you even look at the pictures?

I guess you are likely confusing "serial I/O" with the EXT port on the bottom of the GP2X.

That's what I meant, I guess. Does it allow you to directly run things from your computer through usb to the box then into the EXT port?

I guess I'm just confused as to the direct purpose of it because 'uhhh, its USB host, aka its like usb ports on your computer, plus other things, i use commas way too much' means nothing to me. Is all this does 'create' USB ports for your gp2x through the EXT port?

Please have patience with me.

The best way I can put it.

Think of an ultra lightweight portable laptop. It usually has one USB port, a battery, screen, keyboard and trackpad and not much else.

Stick it in a dock a suddenly you have a DVD rom, parallel port, firewire etc.

In a way, the BOB acts like a dock.

lintsniffer posted on May 20 2006 at 04:25 PM said:
Please have patience with me.

/switches into patience mode :)

Think of the GP2X as a laptop computer.

Then think of the EXT port on the bottom as the "docking bay connector"

The laptop and GP2X are both full-on real computers.

Sometimes all the connectors won't fit on a small laptop or the GP2X, that is why they need the "dock"

The "dock" makes all the connectors appear to connect to stuff like TVs, monitors, mice, keyboard etc.

The GP2X has USB like a computer, the BoB is used to plug it into Mice, Keyboards, Game controllers, and External Hard drives.

The GP2X also has a TV-Out so you can play the games on your TV.

This BoB is a great thing because now we can connect it to the TV, a game controller, plug in a Hard Drive that is really big (100s of Gigabytes) and play all your games on it.

Also anything that plugs into a USB port will work if we have drivers, like a Wifi stick, or a memory stick, or a DVD drive, or anything.

Edit: yauster was quicker than me, but we both assume lintsniffer knows about laptops, maybe we are wrong ;)

lintsniffer posted on May 20 2006 at 04:44 PM said:
So I'm guessing my guess was correct, it is an adapter that allows you to plug in usb and other things into the BoB which in turn connects into the EXT port.

Yes, all except the part where the EXT port on the bottom can connect to another computer.

USB doesn't connect computers

The USB on the side is different, it makes the GP2X look like a hard drive or a network to the PC that you connect it to.

Back