Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

Hm...seems that i dont really need to build me own, ill just connect either the ext port to a ready made samsung e810 usb thing. Imma go get a bob box too, they're cool. :)

great taht there will be a official one, im making my own but im more wonderign about the software side, we need stuff! drivers for usb wifi and mass storage and etc and etc etc!

triton posted on Apr 8 2006 at 04:25 AM said:
great taht there will be a official one, im making my own but im more wonderign about the software side, we need stuff! drivers for usb wifi and mass storage and etc and etc etc!
Mass storage is built in, and USB WiFi is available in art103's latest kernels.

To use mass storage, all you do is mount your mass storage device into a directory on your SD and browse it like you would your SD.

Last edited by a moderator:
really? cool, thats good news. Im still using firmware 1.21 but i plan on upgrading sooon, need to borrow a SD card casue my toshiba one didnt work for updating to cramfs or 1.4. on another note i really need to read through my posts, tons of typos!

I'm definitely going to go for a BoB once the design is finalized. I'd be happy to pay about $70 including shipping (i.e. about what it costs), though for a pretty enough design, I'd stretch a tidge further. Feature-wise, let's see...

I think 3 USB ports is plenty; allows potential for 2 players plus either Wifi or an hdd (I doubt any games will stretch an SD card to the point where it won't fit on one so no real need for both). Or Keyboard + mouse + wifi, which would equally be ideal. No real need for more than that.

JTAG would be one of those re-assuring things to have available - means if a GP2x does get bricked good and proper, there's a greater chance of being able to sort it out.

Other stuff has mostly been said; I love the ideas of VGA and an internal HDD bay, though I suspect they'd cost too much... I could stretch maybe $15 for both, but I imagine they'd add closer to $25 to the cost, which imo is too much - at least until I get a job this summer.

Design-wise, has anyone thought of using the battery cover as a clip for a compact bob design? When I'm holding the gp2x, my fingers are, perhaps, a centimetre in on each side of the cover, but that still leaves a good bit of space for an N64-controller style "keel" with some of the more essential functions - i.e. TV/Audio out and powered USB host or some such.

Don't know how pretty it would look, but it would probably feel right whilst having all the features. And if the keel itself had a flat and wide bottom, conceivably you could use that as a rather attractive 2x stand whilst using the TV out features.

Just a thought.

In any event, say when the design is finall sorted, what the price is, and how to order, and I'll be one of the first in line; BoB is the only reason I haven't yet bought a dedicated TV-out, and that's something I'm *really* looking forward to!

I've had some problems with TV-Out cables on that connector (bottom of the GP2X), if I didn't hold the cable at the right angle video would disappear from the screen. I'd give the top of the BoB some extra work to make it into a more docking-bayish design for an application like this.

Then again, I could have just had a faulty cable/unit. My thoughts.

I'd really like some sort of dock that has several USB ports so that you can use USB joysticks.

VGA and HDTV aren't possible due to the current wiring of the EXT port even though the video encoder can handle both.

AireTamStorm posted on Apr 11 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
I've had some problems with TV-Out cables on that connector (bottom of the GP2X), if I didn't hold the cable at the right angle video would disappear from the screen. I'd give the top of the BoB some extra work to make it into a more docking-bayish design for an application like this.

Then again, I could have just had a faulty cable/unit. My thoughts.

You have a faulty TV-Out cable. :eek:

The product is ready and waiting for GPH's approval. I have tested it with new beta firmware 2.0. It has functions like (Usb Host On - Off / USB Storage, Keyboard Mouse, Network On - Off) in settings menu. That means you don't need to run any script or drivers. It automatically recognizes the HDD, Mouse, Keyboard and mounts it. There's a new option next to SD Memory Card and NAND Memory in the GP2X's menu system. It's External Storage so you can easly access to your files in your external storage. BoB works perfect with GP2X at the moment. :)

In a word: fantastic. Has the design changed at all in terms of appearance, or are the photos from earlier still fairly accurate?

Can't wait for GPH to put this into production - I *will* be among the first in the queue for it, I think.

i just have to say it: this is godly.

i'm probably getting one when i actually get a GP2x (going to korea in a few days!) i'd really love VGA out though, so i can try sticking it into my arcade machines.

holy shit, im so happy GPH are integrating this stuff into the firmware so we dont all have to crap around making custom kernels and bricking our precious's.

No change in design for now. White and Black colors are available. I'll talk to GPH once more to let me deliver this nice piece of hardware to GP2X owners.

Paradox posted on Apr 16 2006 at 06:06 PM said:
holy shit, im so happy GPH are integrating this stuff into the firmware so we dont all have to crap around making custom kernels and bricking our precious's.
They most definitely are. There's an option in all of the menus where it says SD and NAND for EXT Storage. There's also loads of other fancy stuff, including a boot tune. I will say no more, or craigix will be angry because he loses his sense of mystery.

Back