Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

techFreak posted on Apr 5 2006 at 08:57 AM said:
Actually internal HDD idea was a good idea. There's enough space to insert USB module and a 1.8" HDD inside. But the price would go up and up. VGA module is expensive too. These are easy but costly. My idea is to come out with a low cost and flexible device. After this model i can add extra functions per request and a few extra bucks.
I don't think internal HDD is really necessary as we could hook up an external HDD via USB, right ?
"Low cost and flexible" seems the right way to go for me ;)
I'll certainly buy one, especially if it is officialy supported by GPH ! And even if I got no real use for it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd definitely buy one of these... ideally for me, it would have JTAG support and HDD interface - However at ~£60/20GB for a 1.8", ~£43/40GB for a 2.5" and ~£54/40GB for a USB2 External, I'd certainly rather see it with 2.5" support if any. VGA would also be really nice - perhaps HDD and VGA could be implemented using pluggable boards so those who don't want don't get?

Anyway, good work :)

techFreak posted on Apr 5 2006 at 10:02 AM said:
Hello again,

I'm happy to anounce that this project going somewhere really good.

GPH and GP2XTR team merged their BoB projects to launch an Offical GP2X Break Out Box which will be available with more ports and connections. The product will be anounced with photos and details next week. You can buy them from your local distributor like any other GP2X Accessories. B)

Thank you for all your contributions to this project.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

This is the best thing since PSX emulation.

Not sure on the internal hard drive idea, because I would plan on buying my own to use with it, this should be optional.

Official BoB is going to rock :D the more connectors the better! I'd be happy to pay $50 for it, maybe $60, but any more is stretching it a bit.

Yay! This is one cool device!
Count me in as a customer :)

Sounds great to me, I'll grab one as soon as you have everything sorted out. Can hook up one of my 250 gig external drives to it, drool.

grahf posted on Apr 4 2006 at 12:51 PM said:
if that happens you could actually use a GP2X to make a MAME machine. Weird.

Wow, that really is a great idea. Not for a fullsize cabinet probably, but ive been wanting to build a miniature mame machine that can be sat on a table.

:ph34r:

You are so right! But the funny thing is, you could theoretically run a full size cab off of it....amazing!!

Julius posted on Apr 5 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
Regarding the internal harddrive: If there would be enough space for a regular 3.5" it would probably sell a lot better (without one included). As pretty much everyone still has an old HD sitting unused somewhere, and you could also choose which size you want and just go out and buy one for cheap.
Yes, I would much rather have space for a standard sized hard drive, with some usb to ide connection included, but no hardrive included. This way we could get whatever hardrives we wanted ourselves.

Sound great, please keep it up!

Paradox posted on Apr 5 2006 at 02:34 PM said:
techFreak posted on Apr 5 2006 at 10:02 AM said:
Hello again,

GPH and GP2XTR team merged their BoB projects to launch an Offical GP2X Break Out Box which will be available with more ports and connections. The product will be anounced with photos and details next week. You can buy them from your local distributor like any other GP2X Accessories. B)

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

This is the best thing since PSX emulation.

Not sure on the internal hard drive idea, because I would plan on buying my own to use with it, this should be optional.

Official BoB is going to rock :D the more connectors the better! I'd be happy to pay $50 for it, maybe $60, but any more is stretching it a bit.

Hmm anything to do with the fact I posted news of your box on the offical site ?!?!?

If so can I have a free one ?!?!?
:lol:

Deed posted on Apr 5 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
I don't think internal HDD is really necessary as we could hook up an external HDD via USB, right ?
Except that most of us have a spare 3.5" HDD anyway, so it would be cheaper to use that.

BTW techFreak, I would have thought you would be distressed about GPH making one, if it means you won't be able to sell yours?

joyrider posted on Apr 5 2006 at 10:04 PM said:
i don't fully understand it but if it would have jtag support would this mean we don't have to build a jtag cable ourselves in order to unbrick our bricked gp2x'es ?
or what does it mean, can someone explain this to me
It would only expose the JTAG interface, which is usually a 20-pin header. You would still need to purchase, or construct, a suitable JTAG cable to connect to your PC, such as a Macraigor Wiggler or compatible. I purchased a Wiggler-compatible cable from Optimal Microsystems.

slygamer posted on Apr 5 2006 at 10:30 PM said:
It would only expose the JTAG interface, which is usually a 20-pin header. You would still need to purchase, or construct, a suitable JTAG cable to connect to your PC, such as a Macraigor Wiggler or compatible. I purchased a Wiggler-compatible cable from Optimal Microsystems.

that cable at optimal microsystems can be connected to the gp2x without needing to modify it or do i still need to modify it to fit it on my gp2x ?

techFreak posted on Apr 5 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
Hello again,

Cool :D

joyrider posted on Apr 6 2006 at 09:56 PM said:
that cable at optimal microsystems can be connected to the gp2x without needing to modify it or do i still need to modify it to fit it on my gp2x ?
It cannot connect straight to the GP2X. That is what the breakout box will provide. The breakout box connects to the EXT port on the GP2X, and the JTAG cable will connect the breakout box to your PC.

Wow, so many replies so its posible that i'm duplicating some but....

Looks to me as you need to versions. One for developers and one for users, if you see what I mean. Ie. One big that is a dockable and powers the GP2X and one thats more portable, no serial and JTag. Just TV and two USB. Just and idea.

My ideal would be...

Dockable.
Powers GP2X.
Serial
JTag
usb.

With a wish of a VGA out and network ( would prob need drivers )

This would be the unltimate devkit! Then you could cut a deal with some supliers to ship a "gp2x devkit" Has the gp2x + your kit + extra drivers.......

I would pay 50 notes :D + postage for just the dock + power gp2x + serial + JTag + usb. Cost me at least £30 making my ext serial conector. ( but that was fun )

Yeah! I think that a model with an optional socket to put the gp2x would be more interesting

Is the usb host and the bob thingy seperate? I was wondering...is there a usb to ext cable for that because I would like to connect it to a battery powered hdd.

Loubear posted on Apr 7 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
Is the usb host and the bob thingy seperate? I was wondering...is there a usb to ext cable for that because I would like to connect it to a battery powered hdd.
There is a circuit diagram for the USB part of the BoB, you could bulid that seperatly if you wanted to. It's available at this page
Hope that helps.

Back