Gp Blu?

CrazyDesi

Ok I am kinda new to the Gp32 scene but I am hoping for the following answers of the new BLU unit:

1. Will the multifirmware download work with it or will there be issues with the new light?

2. Will it be overclockable?

3. Will software with the old one work with the new one and vise-verca(sp?)

4. Will it support any bigger amounts of cards?

5. Is it worth it?

Lastly this isn't anything to do with the BLU but can anyone make a list of games that are in English or need no English?

1. Will the multifirmware download work with it or will there be issues with the new light?

sorry don't know this answer

yes, like all other GP32 it will be

yes

I believe 128mb is still max since after that they all go to 5V (below is all 3.3V)

5. Is it worth it?

That depends on your preference. I personally have a FLU and haven't seen a working BLU yet so I can't answer this accurately.

CrazyDesi posted on May 3 2004 at 06:47 PM said:
Ok I am kinda new to the Gp32 scene but I am hoping for the following answers of the new BLU unit:

5. Is it worth it?

Lastly this isn't anything to do with the BLU but can anyone make a list of games that are in English or need no English?
1. Its just a new LCD. This has nothing to do with the bios.

2. I assume you mean overclockable over 133. Overclocking really isnt the correct word since its a software selectable cpu speed, but again, its just a new LCD, not a new CPU. But remember, you will still have that 50% chance of getting one that can overclock to 166 and getting one that cant. (unless they decide to officially support 166mhz), but a simple mod from mash will fix this up no problem.

3. Again, its just a new LCD. It has nothing to do with the internal hardware and api.

4. Again, its just a new LCD. It has nothing to do with a new card reader, not to mention there are no SMC cards above 128.

5. I think so. Compare the GBA Afterburner screen (just like a FLU) to the clarity of the GBA SP screen (just like a BLU). Its not a huge difference to most people, but if you are the kind of person that every bit of clarity counts, then yes its worth it. Although you will get a decreased battery life...so it only worth it if it matters to you.

There is no need to ask those questions, its JUST a new LCD thats backlit. Kinda like how the FLU is just an added light source, there are no modifications to anything else. So dont fear compatiblity of any sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's exactly the same unit as the flu or the non-lit version the only diffrnece the light.

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 4 2004 at 02:03 AM said:
5. I think so. Compare the GBA Afterburner screen (just like a FLU) to the clarity of the GBA SP screen (just like a BLU). Its not a huge difference to most people, but if you are the kind of person that every bit of clarity counts, then yes its worth it. Although you will get a decreased battery life...so it only worth it if it matters to you.
Nah, that's incorrect. Both the Afterburner and SP are frontlit. Backlighting isn't something you can directly compare using other products anyway, as there are a number of different methods, each with their own pros and cons.

The most common ways at this time are...

Modern Laptops and TFT flat panels use thin cold cathodes with a pure white diffuser plate to illuminate the screen. This looks awesome, but it is not at all reflective. Fine if you are mainly looking for indoor/no light use. You cannot see the screen at all in sunlight. This method definatly produces the best color quality, at the cost of extra power requirement. I was hoping for this kinda screen, but it is not looking that way now. Based on google translations from spanish websites.

Lately there is a trend using transflective backlit displays in PDAs. Take a look at the Zodiac for an example. It's nearly like a frontlight but the light guide plate is mounted on the back. This allows the use of a touchscreen that would otherwise not work with a frontlight. I assume this is the method the new GP32 is going to use. If this is the case, you should see a decent improvement in color quality because the light only passes through the LCD once (Frontlighting passes through the LCD panel twice so they generally duller and washed out). The benefit of this is that it will still be playable in direct sunlight, and the power consumption is not far off the frontlight method.

One extra advantage is that the BLU won't feature a crappy glued in switch on the back. Instead, you will have to hold the select button for 3 seconds to turn the light on and off.

Daz_Genetic posted on May 3 2004 at 07:56 PM said:
Akuma no Houkon posted on May 4 2004 at 02:03 AM said:
Nah, that's incorrect. Both the Afterburner and SP are frontlit. Backlighting isn't something you can directly compare using other products anyway, as there are a number of different methods, each with their own pros and cons.

The most common ways at this time are...

Modern Laptops and TFT flat panels use thin cold cathodes with a pure white diffuser plate to illuminate the screen. This looks awesome, but it is not at all reflective. Fine if you are mainly looking for indoor/no light use. You cannot see the screen at all in sunlight. This method definatly produces the best color quality, at the cost of extra power requirement. I was hoping for this kinda screen, but it is not looking that way now. Based on google translations from spanish websites.

Lately there is a trend using transflective backlit displays in PDAs. Take a look at the Zodiac for an example. It's nearly like a frontlight but the light guide plate is mounted on the back. This allows the use of a touchscreen that would otherwise not work with a frontlight. I assume this is the method the new GP32 is going to use. If this is the case, you should see a decent improvement in color quality because the light only passes through the LCD once (Frontlighting passes through the LCD panel twice so they generally duller and washed out). The benefit of this is that it will still be playable in direct sunlight, and the power consumption is not far off the frontlight method.

One extra advantage is that the BLU won't feature a crappy glued in switch on the back. Instead, you will have to hold the select button for 3 seconds to turn the light on and off.
Ah ok, I have never used an SP (and I never will), I was just going by how some people I know rate the comparisons. So its front lit eh? Probably to save on batterylife and hardware costs...

wave posted on May 3 2004 at 10:54 PM said:
1. Its just a new LCD. This has nothing to do with the bios.
They say that you have to hold select 3 sec to disable/enable light, so, maybe this is in the bios.
Not at all. You can get a modification for your GBA and mashmods does one for the GP32 now, that has nothing to do with the bios. Its like a "mod chip". Doesnt effect the bios at all. I have one for my GBA but havent installed it yet.

If it's only the screen wich is diffrent maybe you could change your old screen with the new backlit one.
It's verry easy to do, plus my screen (the lcd one) is scratchy and it's broken in one of the corners.

Back