Gotta Say It! This Machine Is Fek'n Brilliant!

jimid2

Website
Visit site
You know what I did yesterday? I played Chew Man Fu and Castlevania Adventure on the bus to and from work. I played Marvel vs. Capcom while sitting in the library waiting for my daughter to finish up some study time with some friends. I threw down against Donkey Kong during lunch in the office, took a nostalgic look at Metal Gear while waiting for supper to cook, and snickered through the carnival opening chapter of Sam and Max while my wife read beside me in bed. I did all this without digging my way to and through the inumerable weighty moving boxes neatly stacked in the improbably small storage space we have under the basement stairs. I didn't have to dig out old systems and find the cables and plug them into the back of one of the bedroom TVs. I didn't have to fight with XP to get an old DOS game running properly, or go back to a box that's buried under four others again for a controller that works! And I didn't have to go out to an arcade (not that there are any left around here) to find a MvC cab... I did all this from a machine I can hold in my hands. Everything I played ran smoothly and looked wonderful, and the sound was good to great all 'round. I got to stretch Castlevania Adventures so I could actually see it! and I didn't need the SNES and the Super Gameboy adapter out to do it!! and pulling off Shurikens and Web-Swings with the GP2X joystick was a lot of fun once I got the feel for it - more like the arcade than a D-pad I think... In short, I had a bloody good lot of gaming fun with this little handheld yesterday, and I wanted to say 'THANKS' to all the EMU developers and the community at large for all the work that's gone into making this machine the joy that it is. I've only owned it three days, and I already feel it's the best handheld I've ever owned. And I've owned them all, excepting the Gizmondo, Wonder Swan and GP32.

I've kind of been lurking around these boards for a while now, humming and hawing about purchasing one of these machines... It took me months to finally decide to take the plunge, though I had read through a fair number of threads with a negative bent regarding various aspects of the GP2X. But now that I own one I only wish that I'd picked it up sooner. I imagine my DS and PSP will be collecting a fair bit of dust over the next couple of months while I enjoy the riches to be mined here.

And for those who think the battery life is "bad", you should have owned an Atari Lynx or NEC TurboExpress. Those things could burn through AAs faster than you could load them back into the power hungry bastidges...

That's it - enough fanbois fawning. I just wanted to record my initial experiences with this great handheld; maybe they'll encourage another classic gamer to pick up this terrific bit of hardware and get involved with the community. 'Cause if they do, I don't think they'll be sorry. I know that I'm not!

Gracias Amigos! :)

That's awesome I am glad you are enjoying yourself.

I have a great time with my Gp2x as while. I have always been a fan of classic gaming and I am only 15. Most people on this forum complain about how no teenager is contempt with this hand held. Well I am here to say I love it. I never grew up with any classic console. My first console was a n64, but ever since I started loading up roms on my pc I have become addicted to that 2d goodness. :D

*APPLAUSE*

Fantastic post, couldn't agree more. Actually that whole post should be used in a GP2X press advertisment :) There's too much negativity here sometimes, although I guess people are generally more motivated to post when they have problems or issues - nice to see the other side! There's something utterly sublime about being able to play Moon Cresta on the tram or Manic Miner in bed. In fact the only thing pissing me off about the GP2X lately is not being able to get off the pissing 4th level on Vektar...

The MASTER posted on Feb 8 2007 at 02:13 PM said:
*APPLAUSE*

Fantastic post, couldn't agree more. Actually that whole post should be used in a GP2X press advertisment :) There's too much negativity here sometimes, although I guess people are generally more motivated to post when they have problems or issues - nice to see the other side! There's something utterly sublime about being able to play Moon Cresta on the tram or Manic Miner in bed. In fact the only thing pissing me off about the GP2X lately is not being able to get off the pissing 4th level on Vektar...

Are you in Melbourne?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I second the battery life comment. I had an Atari Lynx and a Sega Nomad. Those machines were hell on batteries.

Glad you're enjoying your 2x!

Hia jimid2,

I'm soo glad you posted that and welcome to the community by the way :).

It's brilliant to see someone who's new to the scene and appreciates the 2X for what it was created for: Pure fun old school gameplay!

Sure the console has the odd niggle, all consoles do, but none of the GP2Xs little traits distract from the fab fun you can have with it.

Keep up the feedback as we love to hear what our little community is up to.

Byee for now,
Clare.

I have a Lynx II and using the same sets of batteries I use in the GP2X (though I have to use all my GP2X sets :D) I get about the same amount of life out of them.

jimid2 posted on Feb 8 2007 at 04:34 AM said:
And for those who think the battery life is "bad", you should have owned an Atari Lynx or NEC TurboExpress. Those things could burn through AAs faster than you could load them back into the power hungry bastidges...
just get the turbografx-16 emu (GP2Xengine) and the lynx emu (GP2Xhandy)
and you'll get better battery life :p

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 8 2007 at 05:45 PM said:
Are you in Melbourne?

No, I'm in Kraków. Why, did you see someone playing Moon Cresta on a tram? ;)

jimid2 I own 22 handheld systems and my GP32 and GP2X are at the top of my list. I got my GP2X last July 1st and I have not stopped playing this sweet system since. I keep several set of batteries on hand and have never even once had a thought concerning battery life. I, too, am having so much fun. Everyday it gets a workout with some 2D madness. No other system that I own gets a daily use like my GP2X! And that includes consoles. Yesterday it was Donkey Kong and the day before, it was a vertical shooter from some past system. Or maybe an RPG from the past. One day it is Mame, the next day it is some CPS2 game or maybe Neo Geo with Metal Slug. Tomorrow it may be Bonk or W-ring, or maybe some good ole homebrew. I grew up with all of this stuff and it never ceases to amaze me that I am holding all this in my hands. (Now 52 years old, I feel that I have not grown up. A gamer trapped inside an old man's body.)

I am often puzzled by some of the negative flow of comments concerning the GP2X myself, that I have read in some threads. I, from the first hour that I took it out of the box, have had a very great experience with this neat little system. And it has been made possible by all of the great hard work of some sharp programmers that have sacrificed their time to bring joy to a lot of us "retro junkies." :) And it gets better and better and the addiction grows stronger and stronger.

Glad to see someone else sees this system for all that it is worth! I feel that this system is worth a whole lot more than I paid for it.

jimid2 posted on Feb 8 2007 at 12:34 PM said:
I've only owned it three days, and I already feel it's the best handheld I've ever owned. And I've owned them all, excepting the Gizmondo, Wonder Swan and GP32.

You are lucky Epicenter isn't posting. He would give you an 8 page dissertation of why the GP2X "sucks" :p

Anyway most of us think it is one of the most ideal emu systems from everything to the good button layout to the near ideal screen resolution and aspect.

Yes! Genesis emulation is bloody brilliant. I've been playing Phantasy Star IV for the past time underclocked at 130mhz, and it's still perfect. The controlscheme is awesome, never need to enter the menu for anything. And the the ratio is almost 1:1, I love it.

I've also discovered Snatcher, which plays great on the newest Picodrive, and Lunar 1. Also enjoying the great shootemups and beatemups on cps2. Or a random game on noiz2sa or ladykiller.

Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Hexen, heretic, Descent... when I feel like shooting up things.
There's just so much to do on this handheld. :p

The only think that kinda bothers me is the battery time. I need to invest in a new charger because my current one recharges at 120mah/hour, so it'd take over 20 hours to recharge my batteries.

Draken posted on Feb 8 2007 at 12:21 PM said:
The only think that kinda bothers me is the battery time. I need to invest in a new charger because my current one recharges at 120mah/hour, so it'd take over 20 hours to recharge my batteries.
:eek: Mine takes 1-2 hours!
:huh: how old is that? :huh:

purple_goat posted on Feb 8 2007 at 07:01 PM said:
Draken posted on Feb 8 2007 at 12:21 PM said:
:eek: Mine takes 1-2 hours!
:huh: how old is that? :huh:

It's better to trickle-charge your batteries ... though most of us (myself included) are impatient .. I have a 2-hour charger :p

purple_goat posted on Feb 8 2007 at 08:00 PM said:
Blah posted on Feb 8 2007 at 04:47 PM said:
15 minute charger :p :p
:eek:
how much?
where?
*needs*

NO!!!! I had one for my Energizer 2500's ... it killed them. Trust me, get a slow-charger.

purple_goat posted on Feb 8 2007 at 08:00 PM said:
Blah posted on Feb 8 2007 at 04:47 PM said:
15 minute charger :p:p
:eek:
how much?
where?
*needs*

Any Walmart, with (4) 2650 MAH Duracel rechargbles...20.00 US

I saw them last weekend. I myself have a slow charger (4 hrs for 4 2650 mah Duracel batteries). I cant confirm or deny TecloLou's feedback since I dont have one. Caveat Emptor

Back