My Gp2x Has Been Educational This Week!

darkman

darkman unmasked!
Website
www.vci.net
I grew up around pinball machines and other arcade machines when going to the arcade, I sort-of missed out on some things when it comes to the video games of the past. (I did play pong in my teens) My attention was elsewhere, like getting married and having a family. I did visit the Arcade every now and then, but I really didn't start getting into video games until my daughter was 4 years old. I had a Commodore 64, I was at a store one day and picked up Bubble Bobble out of the bargain bin because it was a two player game. That started it all for me and my family. I still remember seeing Atari games and systems, NES, and Sega Master Systems on the shelves of stores. I saved up and I bought my first system when the Sega Genesis came out.

I've said all of this because,

I've been reading “The Ultimate History of Video Games” by Steven L. Kent this week. I am well over half way through it right now. With the use of emulators, It has been very rewarding just loading up games as they are talked about in the book and playing them on my GP2X. Playing the games and reading about the behind the scene stuff has really brought some appreciation for some of the games and has given some real insight to video game history. I have played and discovered some good retro games by playing them for the first time. It has made the book come alive as I am living through the history and playing the games at the same time. Recommended reading and playing. Especially for those that were not there to remember. It has been a real experience. If I can get any more retro than I am, it has made me even more so.

Can't wait to see how it ends. Does Mario finally get the girl? Do the aliens finally blow our galaxy away? Will Pacman get stomach problems after eating all those dots? :blink: The tension is building.

This post reminds me of an idea i once played with, the creation of an Internet Game DataBase, like imdb, but for games, detailing the evolution & history of the industry, from the early start till now.

Might still be a fun project to do, although i doubt i'll ever have time to actually input all those games... Life's short ;)

I wish I knew about this book when I wrote a research paper on video games.

- Amon_re
IMDB has some reviews for some video games that have movie characters.
- darkman
Can you please name all the consoles needed to play the games mentioned in this book? maybe if someone wanted to read it they will have all the emulators ready on their GP2X, and if some of these consoles don't have an emulator on GP2X, he can get one for the PC :)

- Amon_re
IMDB has some reviews for some video games that have movie characters.
- darkman
Can you please name all the consoles needed to play the games mentioned in this book? maybe if someone wanted to read it they will have all the emulators ready on their GP2X, and if some of these consoles don't have an emulator on GP2X, he can get one for the PC :)

The big one is the mame emulator. Then the Atari, Odyssey, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, Nes, and Sega Master. I am only at the part when the NES makes it big at the moment. But most of the time I have spent with the Mame emulator as it translates to the home scene through the game consoles. The one that I did not see was the Channel F in the archive. I thought there was one availible. Most of the games from the early years were taken from the arcade games. There were just some stuff that I was not able to play, like the led handhelds. I do remember someone having one when I was a teen. You will have to have a computer desktop to play something like Dragons Lair. There were some things that I was not able to play, but what I was able to play gave me more insight into what was happening back then and how games evolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call Darkman.
I've been doing this lately with Retrogamer Magazine, and I bought an archive of Retrogaming Radio (the latter is great cause you can essentially play the games while listening to the reviews). Definitly openned my eyes to some retro games I'd ignored or never bothered with before (Like I had no idea Pitfall was the very first platformer).

I think I'll check out this book, thanks for the headsup.

This post reminds me of an idea i once played with, the creation of an Internet Game DataBase, like imdb, but for games, detailing the evolution & history of the industry, from the early start till now.

Might still be a fun project to do, although i doubt i'll ever have time to actually input all those games... Life's short ;)

Mobygames.com is trying to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't have said it much better, I liked the article in this link....

Retro Gamers!!

I wouldn't write off the next Generation completely. One day it will be "retro." :D And someone will probably put it into a book. Really, with me, it is not nostalgia that draws me to the old retro stuff. I just have a lot of fun playing the retro games. I go through those days that all I do is play retro. There are those times that I come up for air and play something on the PS2, NDS, or the Cube for a few minutes. But 90% of the time it is retro with me.

Back