Got a dreamcast!

I haven't got it myself but from what I've heard the dreamcast Halflife incarnation is right on par with it's PC counterpart but suffers very badly from loading - lag. Probably due to the more restricted 16Mb memory of the console compared to 64+Mb on most pc's.
Cheers, Mark

p.s. www.dcemulation.com is a good place to start when looking for homebrew stuff, including a lot of emulators! There's even a MAME for the DC!

Mark1970 posted on Dec 20 2003 at 02:02 PM said:
I haven't got it myself but from what I've heard the dreamcast Halflife incarnation is right on par with it's PC counterpart but suffers very badly from loading - lag. Probably due to the more restricted 16Mb memory of the console compared to 64+Mb on most pc's.
Cheers, Mark

p.s. www.dcemulation.com is a good place to start when looking for homebrew stuff, including a lot of emulators! There's even a MAME for the DC!
Yes! i have mame with like 120 games but u need a damn keyboard to play the games which i dont have yet! argh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the DC version of Half-life (actually I have 2 copies - gotta love misunderstandings on Ebay!) Despite the huge saving problem it's pretty good, shame there's no multiplayer.

I have and love my dreamcast. I used to play it as much as my ps2, but then I finally started getting some decent games for my ps2. I love the dreamcast for its beautiful genesis emulation.

u tried the genesis emulator for the ps2. Thats a pretty decent emulator. The snes one is good too.

Esn posted on Dec 23 2003 at 07:56 AM said:
Does anybody know how I can find out if my DC is one of the ones that can play unofficial CDRs?

Thanks. :)
Just try it. A CDR won't break the bank surely, then just head of to www.dcemulation.com and pick an app/port/emu and burn the image.

Never mind, I find out how to find out; it says on the dcemu page.

Basically, you look at the sticker on the bottom; if it says "1" inside a tiny circle, you're ok. If it says "2", you're not.

Great! Maybe I'll try out some emulators... except that neither the Genesis ones nor the SNES ones seem to be perfect from what it says on the site, which is rather a surprise considering how powerful the DC is... is it still playable, do some games not work?

I never modded my ps2. I just use the card trick. works great. the ps2 gen emu is way better. it works full speed sound fs0 so its perfect. same with snes. if u have a AR2 or a gameshark try the card swop trick with this emu.

NssOne posted on Dec 24 2003 at 01:41 PM said:
I never had any problems with my Genesis emu.
What Genesis Emu are you using? I noticed that on dcemulation.com, they have a dark spot for something called segagen - basically it's something they don't talk about but apparently is perfect without sound.

Well, it's just called Genesis Emulator, so I don't know. But I guess it does have some problems, I just tried loading what I believe to be Super Baseball and it didn't work. But I have so many roms for Genesis it's hard to tell what does and doesn't work. But it's also hard to tell what games there are. They're all in 8.3 format. I wish I had time to one day sit there and try and name every last one of them. But that's just too many for someone like me.

Hmmm, both of the ones I tried have been from DCemulation, so thats either DCgenerator, genesis plus, or ljsdcgen they were all fairly unstable to me and the sonic games were pretty slow.

I'll try and find out more about this Segagen thing.

Thanks anyway.

Back