Gordan Freeman Works At Cern

Theone said:
As you may know, this week CERN are doing a massive experiment in the Large Hadron Collider on the swiss/french border.
All I'm thinking right now is that he must be exhausted tightening all those nuts by himself, or maybe they took it in turns?

I do hope the world ends tomorrow, as I withdrew my life savings today and spent it all on chocolate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
I do hope the world ends tomorrow, as I withdrew my life savings today and spent it all on chocolate.
That absolutely made my day ^^. Sigged.

Peter R said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Chocolate? Of all things to spend life savings on :rolleyes:

I'd buy me some LOVE.
So basically the same thing you do almost everyday ;)

At least he gets some at all ^^. How old were you again? I guess it's manual operation for you...

Nah, don't lol this... really it should be left open to discuss the news on the LHC!

My computer mysteriously turned itself on at 3AM this morning... I blame cern and their evil mystical powers.

Goity said:
My computer mysteriously turned itself on at 3AM this morning... I blame cern and their evil mystical powers.

Nah probally just microsoft playing game with you.

Seems we still have a little time to live, the dudes are just ending the protons around the track: Story
Full collisions expected later in the week.

Ganepark32 said:
Ok, there is a very, very small chance that the thing could crate a black hole.

The problem is that most people don't realize just how small. For instance, one CERN physicist had this to say about the possibility:
Look, it's a 10^-19 chance, and you've got a 10^-11 chance of suddenly evaporating while shaving.

Pickle said:
Goity said:

Seems we still have a little time to live, the dudes are just ending the protons around the track: Story
Full collisions expected later in the week.

i thought october 21st was the first collision?

Ironically we have similar accelerators in all our TV'S, well if you still have CRT monitors that is..... I see nobody realizes that though

Theone said:
Pickle said:
Goity said:

Full collisions expected later in the week.i thought october 21st was the first collision?

Ironically we have similar accelerators in all our TV'S, well if you still have CRT monitors that is..... I see nobody realizes that though
So they invented a 17 mile tv set based on obsolete technology? Bet there's nothing on the other channels either.

edit: typo.

@ Chip - a 10^-11 of suddenly evaporating while shaving? Holy smokes. Best not shave now. Could mean the end of me and the rest of the world. :p

I think the funniest thing to come out of this was that some guys sent the people at CERN a small parcel. Contained inside were a crowbar, a note and a letter which said something along the lines of 'Get this to Gordon Freeman. He'll know what to do.' Don't know if it's true or not but it would be brilliant if someone did send them a crowbar, you know, just in case. ;)

Edit: Apparently it was a new website called Reddit or something that sent the package.

There is this video, explaining some background in rap! I know, it feels strange.

Ganepark32 said:
I think the funniest thing to come out of this was that some guys sent the people at CERN a small parcel. Contained inside were a crowbar, a note and a letter which said something along the lines of 'Get this to Gordon Freeman. He'll know what to do.' Don't know if it's true or not but it would be brilliant if someone did send them a crowbar, you know, just in case. ;)

EPIC!

i wonder if the highlighted guy in the pic recieved the crowbar, lol.

If you look carefully it looks like he has something like a crowbar in his hand, but on closer inspection it appears its just some handle on the tube :(

Theone said:
Nope, that's a linear accelerator (the cathode ray tube). The LHC is a extremely powerful synchrotron which is a type of cyclotron which takes accounts of relativistic effects experianced by particles at high speeds.

So while you have an electron accelerator in your CRT TV it's not really very similar to the LHC. If the LHC was called the Large Lepton Collider then it would be a lot more similar to a CRT :p.

Ganepark32 said:
@ Chip - a 10^-11 of suddenly evaporating while shaving? Holy smokes. Best not shave now. Could mean the end of me and the rest of the world. :p
I knew the world wouldn't end as I shaved before hand so that the chances of a CERN based cataclysmic event occurring must of been infantesimally small!

Trust El Reg to get the tone just right :lol:
And fairly technical too...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/09/anton_wylie_lhc/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/10/lh...y_is_not_today/
El Reg said:
Only then, once the two unprecedentedly puissant particle cannons are reliably ripping out clips of protons on full auto both clockwise and anticlockwise, will the real fun begin. Only then will the boffins begin to seriously meddle with the very fabric of the universe, as they possibly rashly cross the streams of the two colossal energy guns, ramming protons into one another at almost light speed. Thus far, we are told only that this will happen "by the end of the year".

Once the insane laughs begin to truly ring out in the LHC's underground caverns, once the mad scientists wipe the foam from their lips, roll up their sleeves, lock and load their outrageous particle guns and really start to show what they can do, the chances are that nobody will be watching.

But there will be at least one exception. The Reg hereby pledges to stay on the story, bringing you all the humonguous subterranean cavern magno-doughnut beam cannon news hot off the wires - perhaps with a garnish of hysterical rip-in-the-very-fabric-of-spacetime dimension portal angle here and there. As long as there's a universe to report from, we will continue to follow the Quest for the Big Answers.
Of course we should have known that Nostrodamus predicted all this ...
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/science/nostradamus.php said:
All should leave Geneva.
Saturn turns from gold to iron,
The contrary positive ray (RAYPOZ) will exterminate everything,
There will be signs in the sky before this

Back