Gordan Freeman Works At Cern

grif

Still Fresh
As you may know, this week CERN are doing a massive experiment in the Large Hadron Collider on the swiss/french border.

The media has whipped up a rather large scare over here, claiming that the black hole that could be created may be damaging to us, its much more reassuring to know that they have Gordan Freeman working at CERN for his past experiance:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/cj.../freemanae8.jpg

lets just hope he remembers to bring a crowbar and a HEV suit.

EDIT: you can move this to lol files if you want, this was meant to be a serious talk about CERN, with a sense of humour ^^.

In light of the fact that there is no way on earth for this not to get LOLed....

it is the general consensus at my college (me and like 3 other guys X.x LOL) that when they fire up the LHC it will succeed in creating these black holes and they will immediately begin emmiting large quantities of chupacabras...

I think there is way too much hysteria about this experiment. It will not destroy our planet, it will not rip apart the fabric of time, it will not open up huge black holes... That is just stupid and mindless babble by people who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. I am very concerned with the attitude some people have towards science. It kinda feels like we are going back to burning books and burning scientists for heresy. In the US lots of christian fundamentalists try to force their fairy tale bullcrap into the minds of children and adults alike instead of a healthy spiritual practice that allows for science to take care of the things where religion really doesn't belong. In Europe more and more people go bananas over things like the LHC or genome research while they have no idea what the heck they are talking about.

"Well, the LHC is so huge and stuff and it was expensive. I don't know what they are doing there but it will surely blow us all up or whatever... duuuuuh....".

I recently read some comment on a blog about the LHC being very expensive and the person who made this remark said something along the lines of "With that money lots of starving children could have been fed blablabla" and I am appalled with how stupid and selfish people are. If you want to feed the starving, then do it but don't try to make people who are using funds for something reasonably important to do it for you. What stops you from donating the money that you spend on beer or for new fads that require you to wear new clothing nobody will care about in a couple of months? I have heard it so many times: NASA should spend more money for the people on this earth instead of going into outerspace blablabla BS. Right because NASA is responsible for the misery on this planet... shut the hell up and do something yourself.

Guess what: Stop spending all government funds on shitty wars noone wants to be in and start investing that in science!

As I said, I think the experiment will go very well and I for one am excited to see the progress they make and the discoveries that will eventually be made. I think it is great to see that countries are collaborating in this manner and I hope we will see more big projects like this in all areas of physics and science in the future.

xnopasaranx said:
I think there is way too much hysteria about this experiment. It will not destroy our planet, it will not rip apart the fabric of time, it will not open up huge black holes... That is just stupid and mindless babble by people who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. I am very concerned with the attitude some people have towards science. It kinda feels like we are going back to burning books and burning scientists for heresy. In the US lots of christian fundamentalists try to force their fairy tale bullcrap into the minds of children and adults alike instead of a healthy spiritual practice that allows for science to take care of the things where religion really doesn't belong. In Europe more and more people go bananas over things like the LHC or genome research while they have no idea what the heck they are talking about.

"Well, the LHC is so huge and stuff and it was expensive. I don't know what they are doing there but it will surely blow us all up or whatever... duuuuuh....".

I recently read some comment on a blog about the LHC being very expensive and the person who made this remark said something along the lines of "With that money lots of starving children could have been fed blablabla" and I am appalled with how stupid and selfish people are. If you want to feed the starving, then do it but don't try to make people who are using funds for something reasonably important to do it for you. What stops you from donating the money that you spend on beer or for new fads that require you to wear new clothing nobody will care about in a couple of months? I have heard it so many times: NASA should spend more money for the people on this earth instead of going into outerspace blablabla BS. Right because NASA is responsible for the misery on this planet... shut the hell up and do something yourself.

Guess what: Stop spending all government funds on shitty wars noone wants to be in and start investing that in science!
As I said, I think the experiment will go very well and I for one am excited to see the progress they make and the discoveries that will eventually be made. I think it is great to see that countries are collaborating in this manner and I hope we will see more big projects like this in all areas of physics and science in the future.

I am aware of this, i am actually excited too.... hence why i put "the media has......" rather than "there has been...."

It will be good to see what happens and what we discover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theone said:
I am aware of this, i am actually excited too.... hence why i put "the media has......" rather than "there has been...."

It will be good to see what happens and what we discover.
Yeah I know you are aware of this... I was just commenting on the scare and all the media craziness. Let's keep this thread open for discussion, I am curious what we will hear from the experiment in the future and what others have to say.

Where is Peter when you need him ^^. I always thought he was a physics nut.

xnopasaranx why get so worked up about things? Relax a little, you seem really mad about it? :unsure:

Im interested in the results of this test and what it might prove or disprove.
Its in my opinion no matter which side you take for creation be by big bang/God both can be considered theories and both take a "leap of faith" to believe. I dont agree with the statement that if you believe in God you shun all things generated by science.

Personally as I see in things in our universe I see order and design, which lead me to believe there must be something greater than human existance. Ive come to believe the answer to this void is God. Anyone can see things the way they want, but this is the choice ive made. Im not forcing anyone to follow me, but I feel i have the right to voice my opinion. Doesnt mean anyone has to read it, but I hope it would cause others to think about the main question at hand: When\Where did we come from.

I dont intend by any means with this post to start a debate about the question I gave above. Pretty much I just wanted to give what the experiment means to me and in what context.

Pickle said:
Im not forcing anyone to follow me, but I feel i have the right to voice my opinion.
Great, that is 1 person who is sane. Only another 3 billion left to go!

xnopasaranx said:
LHCb sees where the antimatters gone

Alice looks at collisions with lead ions

CMS and Atlas are two of a kind

They're looking for whatever new particles they can find...

I for one am interested in whether they can prove the Higgs field theory of mass as if not then that opens the possiblity for some major revamping of the standard model.

I hope I can excel at University enough to try and get them to ship me off to CERN for my industrial placement year... that would just be awesome :eek:.

Peter R said:
xnopasaranx said:
LHCb sees where the antimatters gone

Alice looks at collisions with lead ions

CMS and Atlas are two of a kind

They're looking for whatever new particles they can find...

I for one am interested in whether they can prove the Higgs field theory of mass as if not then that opens the possiblity for some major revamping of the standard model.

I hope I can excel at University enough to try and get them to ship me off to CERN for my industrial placement year... that would just be awesome :eek:.

that would be pretty cool.

I'm in luck though, i have a day trip to CERN in the new year.

The LHC-will-destroy-us-all scare is something of a running joke in my Physics class. "No homework for Thursday, sir!"

We're such geeks.

More seriously, I'm very interested in the possible results this might bring about - whether it's the discovery of the Higgs boson, or the complete inability to find it. In fact, the latter would probably be more interesting as it would force a complete rethink of our current model of physics, although I imagine it would be rather disappointing getting all geared up to find nothing at all. The enormous number of other advances in the field this experiment might produce is exciting even to those who have no real background in physics, and will have astounding implications for years to come. Even in itself, the LHC is magnificent - it's the largest and most expensive physics experiment ever co-ordinated, bringing together the best of physicists from all over the world. Human co-operation towards the advancement of knowledge at its finest.

But who cares? We'll all have winked out of existence by tomorrow anyway.

I haven't been watching this closely. I've been hearing about it every once in awhile and the amount of hysteria that's being created as a result of it is just ridiculous. Ok, there is a very, very small chance that the thing could crate a black hole. But it's more likely they'll get the experiment going and not find what they are looking for. I'm not willing to bet on that as I know the kind of crack pot experiments these kind of scientists do (the big chamber filled with washing up liquid in Japan for example that was used to find some particle).

But if I'm correct, and I'm probably not, won't they have to rewrite all physics stuff regardless of whether or not they find it? I'm sure that's what I was told. But then I never paid attention in Physics when we talked about it.

Pickle said:
nickspoon said:

Dont worry the aliens will save us first.

You need to free them from opression by Nihilath first.

Hopefully the world ends tomorrow, my birthday is on sunday, cough 32 cough, and really cant be arsed doing anything so this gives me an excuse not to arrange anything :) It is also my best mates birthday tomorrow so if the world is going to end can you suck up UK in the blackhole or whatever it is at around pub chucking out time (11pm will do). Thanks in advance Cern!

edit : actually make it 11.30, enough time for my final meal of kebab :)

Pickle said:
quasist said:
Pickle said:
nickspoon said:

Dont worry the aliens will save us first.

You need to free them from opression by Nihilath first.
Darn, we are all going die!

I will play Dr. Breen :)
drbreen_full.jpg

@Pickle: Well ignorance makes me angry. I just hate ignorant people, that's all. I also said that a healthy spiritual mindset is a good thing, but people who want to teach creationism in schools are just plain insane... that is why I was specifically referring to fundamentalists. Sorry, I tend to be very polemic sometimes.

I don't think my post was that angry... but maybe that is because I am on teh other end of teh interwebz ^^. I was just answering to the media scare topic mentioned by the OP.

Anyway, science is just a concept of thought and as much of a model as any other set of theories. If they do not find the Higgs field theory to be true, it might very well change everything most of us have always believed to be true. That is the really exciting thing. Imagine if we had to abolish most of our known physics for new theories... Not that this hasn't been done a couple of times before ^^. Either way, the outcome of these experiments is going to change humanities perception of itself and the universe. It's gonna be a bumpy rollercoaster ride guys.

Back