Good Time To Pre-Order?

chaos447

Still Fresh
I've been following the status of Pandora for a few years now, but never pre-ordered. I was wondering, would it be a good time to do so now? How's the overall progress? Like I said, I've been following for a few years but I was never really sure how close it was really to being finished.

I don't mind waiting at all - but I also don't want to rush into making a purchase just yet. Can anybody help me? Thanks.

It's certainly a better time than October 2008 :) Seriously, it seems it's getting closer, just 2 more months, drop an e-mail to Craig or Ed.

kikeminchas said:
It's certainly a better time than October 2008 :) Seriously, it seems it's getting closer, just 2 more months, drop an e-mail to Craig or Ed.

Ha, perhaps I should :D . It was just confusing to me because after glancing at the forums, people are making allegations like "SCAM!" and whatnot. But two years ago - there was nothing but a promise. People don't realize the amount of progress the developers have done. Can't wait until I have a Pandora and the naysayers have to wait for the next batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
kikeminchas said:
It's certainly a better time than October 2008 :)
Heh. :)

A tempting answer to give is: Sure, it's a great time to order, they should be assembling next week. But nothing is certain and that would be irresponsible advice. All I can really say is, if they do start assembling next week, it's probably going to be a fight getting one of the last spots. So it probably is a good time to order - as long as you're prepared to get on the rollercoaster with the rest of us, and expect another couple of ups and downs before everything is shipped.

Welcome BTW. :)

I'm guessing that once the first cases from the fracktory are in the hands of the UKers and have been verified to be of acceptable quality (and fit together correctly with everything else), there will be no major obstacles to production, and shipping will start fairly soon thereafter. At that point, there will still likely be some slots open. It would still take quite some time for them to get to your slot, as they have to work out an efficient production schedule first, but at least you'll know it's reliably coming by then.

I'd actually suggest waiting for the first few people to receive their models, but it's not unlikely that the news of the production line finally starting will get out and cause an ordering rush.

chole said:
I'm guessing that once the first cases from the fracktory are in the hands of the UKers and have been verified to be of acceptable quality (and fit together correctly with everything else), there will be no major obstacles to production, and shipping will start fairly soon thereafter. At that point, there will still likely be some slots open. It would still take quite some time for them to get to your slot, as they have to work out an efficient production schedule first, but at least you'll know it's reliably coming by then.

I'd actually suggest waiting for the first few people to receive their models, but it's not unlikely that the news of the production line finally starting will get out and cause an ordering rush.

It does seem rather logical to me, that there will be a big rush on the last remaining slots left in the first batch. Also, I ordered about 2 months ago . I tried it through gp2x.de and openpandorasales@gmail.com. Got a reply from the last after a few days and placed / paid the order. EvilDragon sent me an e-mail a few days ago, about there nog being any slots left when ordering through him. Ordering through the UK (which I did 2 months ago) seems like your best bet. But once there is a bright green light shining and the delivery of all those Pandora's starts, it will probably be a rush for some people to still get one.

I placed my order about 1 month ago, I guess there are still some slots but not many, and probably there are more people that prefered to wait until the project was closer to completion to buy.

So, I'd suggest you to order NOW!

Any time is a good time to order. Until all 4000 have shipped, there will always be cancellations and new orders on going. 700 customers will be hopefully playing withing a few more weeks, and 3300 more will be waiting however long.

Some will have to cancel for whatever reasons, and then there be a few slots open here and there. I would say orders will probably close up once they get about half shipped, but they may do it sooner.

Chris

Kanjo27 said:
But two years ago - there was nothing but a promise.
Well, really that's all we have now ... but what more do we expect from a pre-order? If you want to get in on it, I strongly recommend doing it BEFORE the first units ship to customers. There are probably a lot of people hanging back thinking they're going to snag one of those last pre-order slots as soon as the first ones ship.

People don't realize the amount of progress the developers have done.
No no, we do. I do anyway. What I didn't realize when I pre-ordered was how much was still remaining to be done. In Sept '08 we were told that first units would probably ship Nov 30th '08. So I assumed that virtually everything but mass production and final assembly was done. I don't think I was alone in that regard.

Can't wait until I have a Pandora and the naysayers have to wait for the next batch.
Hey, The loudest among us naysayers are in the first batch!

Back