Good Gp2x Games? (not Emulated)

javaguy

Still Fresh
hey all, I have a long journey ahead of me tomorrow, and was wondering what were some good homebrew GP2X games to play were. I've been enjoying the ones packaged with the GP2X- the tetris-y thing where you have different coloured balls for example, and supertux. So, can anyone else reccomend any more? There seem to be many out there, and I could use some help finding the best.

Thanks! :)

these are my faves:

sqdef
ruckman
protozoa
boomshine2x
battlejewels
square sliding
noiz2sa
wind and water demo
B.O.R
thruster
ghostpix

The Ur-Quan Masters (port) - Classic from 1992/1993. Starflight-esque gameplay with hilarious dialogues and weird aliens.
Cave Story (port) - Great game, works perfectly on the GP2x, as if it were made for it ..
Nethack (graphical version) - Just awesome. Great menu interface.

If you're not looking for ports, I'd suggest:
Sqdef
Ruck-man
Tilematch
Spout

Arcade / Misc

Altitude
Beat2x
Beatbox
BlastRiot
Blingo
Crossroads
Extender
Extraterrestre
Floaters
Glouton
Kurukuru2x
Madmix
Phishy
Protozoa
The Minigame Project
Ruckman
Squares
Thruster
Zooov

Fighting

Bare Fist Fighter

Platformers

Firewhip
Knightlore
Nebulus

Puzzle

Battlejewels
Blocked
Boomshine2x
Brass Munkey
Burokku
Mr. Block
RetroVirus
Squaresliding
Tilematch
Unicolor

Racing

Powerslide
zTunnel

Shooters

Powermanga
Vektar

Strategy

RetroVirus RTS

Oh I almost forgot, give Payback a try, it's a great game!

wow, thanks for all the suggestions, I shall get downloading!

one thing, I've never managed to get TTD2X on the gp2x with the music, is this possible? for me it just crashes with music... :(

linoleum13 said:
I just went on a trip and player Transport Tycoon Deluxe the whole time I was on my flights and in between. Im addicted...
yeah, TTD is an awesome game. Im gonna try to get it to work again.

I've just been playing SqDef. Awesome game, that will keep me busy for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Javaguy said:
hey all, I have a long journey ahead of me tomorrow, and was wondering what were some good homebrew GP2X games to play were. I've been enjoying the ones packaged with the GP2X- the tetris-y thing where you have different coloured balls for example, and supertux. So, can anyone else reccomend any more? There seem to be many out there, and I could use some help finding the best.

Thanks! :)
Boomshine2x
Ruckman
SQDef

Thats all I can think of right now.

Get:

***** gp2xDoukutsu-b1
**** Alex4
**** Blastriot
*** Methane v1

(*****) star rating.

StarG said:
Its not homebrew but you might try Duke2x if you by chance got DukeNukem3D. Its very well playable when you redefine the keys.
mm, alas I don't have Duke Nukem 3d :(

I've put the Ctrl Alt Del animated series on my GP2X (from the DVD which I bought, so presumably thats legal) and I still have a bit of space, so I will download a few more games.

Im actually looking forward to the journey now :p

The ones that have managed to stay on my SD card are:

Tilematch
Koules
Supertux
Nethack
Spout
Methane Bros
Boomshine2x
Sqdef

I think Alex was been too modest not mentioning Sqdef, although self promotion is rather ugly.

*cough* vvv signature vvv *cough* :)

Parkydr said:
I think Alex was been too modest not mentioning Sqdef, although self promotion is rather ugly.

*Pulls dagger out, edits post* :rolleyes:

Alex. said:
Parkydr said:

*Pulls dagger out, edits post* :rolleyes:

heh, I was going to praise your modesty, but then I saw it was on your list :) I got it from your sig.

anyway, thanks for the suggestions all. I have loaded my GP2x with games (get rid of the PSX emulator and a 1gb SD card seems a lot bigger)

I now have:

Boomshine
Chess
Ctrl Alt Del
Drill2x
Sonic via the megadrive emu
Nethack
Pocketsnes + a couple of games
Powermanga
Day Of The Tentacle via ScummVM
Spectrum Emulator + few games
SqDef
Thruster
TTD2X
Crossroads

... as well as built in:

Noiz2sa
Flobopuyo
Demo of payback
Supertux
Vektar

... I think that will last me :) :gp2x

Speaking of Noiz2sa, make sure you get the new version from the archive, notaz heavily optimized it to run blazing fast. It's likely that the built-in one is the old version.

And there's a nice Supertux level pack, recently released, also in the archives :)

Alex. said:
Speaking of Noiz2sa, make sure you get the new version from the archive, notaz heavily optimized it to run blazing fast. It's likely that the built-in one is the old version.

And there's a nice Supertux level pack, recently released, also in the archives :)
thanks! I noticed Noiz2sa did slow down quite badly at times, so its nice to know thats fixed. Will download now, along with the supertux levels.

Back