Release Gonvert, a tool for units conversion

Hello Anthony and thanks for coming on the boards! It's always great to see a creator in the discussions  :)

Not sure how much you are willing to further work on gonvert, but a few ideas for improvements:

- a short list would be indeed very helpful, to only show the units currently in use nowadays (i.e. removing all the historical or obscure ones)

- a "favorite" list of previous conversions used would be great. That way you would not have to go through the list everytime you want to have the same conversion done. 

That's all I can think of right now. Otherwise I love Gonvert when I found it, hence the reason why I packaged it :)
Hi Ekianjo!

Thank you for your requests! Both of them sound good and doable to some degree. Of course one persons "ancient" might be another persons "everyday". But your second request of the "favorite" or most commonly used (by the user) sounds like something that everyone would like, maybe if I just stored the recently used units and they would bubble up to the top of the sortable list somehow. I'll think about an easy way to implement it.

I've got no idea what is involved in making a .pnd, but it looks like you've done a good job of it from the other comments. Thank you!

As you probably already saw from the Python code, it would be quite easy to add new units. Let me know if you do, and I'll put them into the code permanently.
Maybe you can have the most recent conversions stored in the top-window menu ? That would be a good place to put the most commonly/most recent ones there without overloading the interface, i think. 

Making a PND was not too difficult but I had to change the location of where the preferences were saved and modify the height request parameters so that it would fit the Pandora screen well (in your latest gconvert version the minimum height was a little too large so I had to reduce it - i checked the earlier versions of gconvert and they did not have the same height so I could use that as reference).

As for new units, as I live in Japan, it would be great if there was a shoes size converter between European (or maybe only French?) size of shoes versus Japanese ones. Japanese shoes lengths are measured in centimeters while in France (where I am from) they follow a number from 36- to 45+ (not really sure where these numbers come from). That would be a unit useful for me but maybe ONLY me as well, haha :)

Anyway, let me know if I can help with anything !

thanks for this, this already came in very handy

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also something that makes it hard to use for me:

Every unit I select replaces the first one in the list and the second one gets replaced by the first one.

I'd like to be able to have one unit fixed on the first position and only change the one in the second line.

This would make things much more usable.

Every unit I select replaces the first one in the list and the second one gets replaced by the first one.

I'd like to be able to have one unit fixed on the first position and only change the one in the second line.

You have a good point, it confuses me also. Maybe if there was a "pin" or "lock" button on the first line somewhere (left or right side) so that any unit in there would always stay there.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the "find" feature is not quite right. I will have to debug that a bit as it seems to have stopped working.

You have a good point, it confuses me also. Maybe if there was a "pin" or "lock" button on the first line somewhere (left or right side) so that any unit in there would always stay there.
Not sure if that can be done this way, but one idea could be have left click define the first unit and right click define the second unit. That way you would know which one you are changing. 

Not sure if that can be done this way, but one idea could be have left click define the first unit and right click define the second unit. That way you would know which one you are changing. 
I think I prefer Anthony's Idea.  A right click based solution would make it much less friendly for touchscreen use.

- Neelix

Hi Ekianjo, 

Slowly I am updating things.

The minimum window size has been lowered. Give me something to put in the Makefile if you like (i.e. an entry for make pandora).

The shoe size update was relatively easy, it has been implemented.

The Find system is still wonky.

I am still working on some way to pin the most common unit at the top.

Here is the source code:

http://unihedron.com/projects/gonvert/downloads/gonvert-0.2.30.tar.gz

edit:

"Find Next" fixed:

http://unihedron.com/projects/gonvert/downloads/gonvert-0.2.31.t ar.gz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Anthony, and thank you for making the changes so fast !

There is no need for make file for Pandora purpose, I am simply running it from the main python file. 

I will try the new sources you shared and make a new Gconvert PND if there is no issue :)  

Let me know once you have some good ideas for the most common unit conversions. 

Let me know once you have some good ideas for the most common unit conversions. 
Slowly getting there:

1. I have fixed up the saved unit selections so that gonvert remembers the two units selected at the top of the screen.
  2. Also, I have added "X" button to clear out the first or second line. This allows you to place a common unit at the top of the screen.
  3. Clicking on a unit now brings it to the first empty location at the top, or if none are empty, then into the second line. This is basically the way to store the top two "favorite" units.

Here is the latest source code:

http://unihedron.com/projects/gonvert/downloads/gonvert-0.2.32.tar.gz

Comments are welcome.

The unit conversions were taken from various places on the net over many years, but they were not officially sanctioned by NIST, so please do not build any spaceships with it ;) . I have had many others comment and correct problems when they were found, so I am quite confident about the conversions.
Ok, thanks. I'm going to check the conversions before I build my spaceship with it then :p

The unit conversions were taken from various places on the net over many years, but they were not officially sanctioned by NIST, so please do not build any spaceships with it ;) . I have had many others comment and correct problems when they were found, so I am quite confident about the conversions.
Ok, thanks. I'm going to check the conversions before I build my spaceship with it then :p
The Bean with Bacon Megarocket? ;)

- Neelix

Back