Gngeo2x (neo Geo Emu) Issues

blakespot

Still Fresh
Can someone list the contents of their ./roms dir in this NeoGeo emu? Regardless of how I place my ROMs in there, zipped or not, etc. - the app complains of bad ROM. What is the trick here? Thanks.

blakespot

Well they should be already zipped when you download them, you just put that file in the roms directory.

You should also try getting different copies of the roms, in case you have bad ones.

Also, are you using the GFX dump mod? If you're not and the roms are too big, they won't work (Although I don't know if it would say "Bad ROM")

well the problem is most likely that the files in the ZIP file dont have the same name as it is noted in the romrc file in the gngeo directory.

open the romrc with a unix-lf compatible editor such as notepad++ or ultraedit and edit the entry for the game so the filenames are the same like in the zip, or rename the files so they are the same as in the romrc.

kanzlr posted on Jul 26 2006 at 10:34 AM said:
well the problem is most likely that the files in the ZIP file dont have the same name as it is noted in the romrc file in the gngeo directory.

open the romrc with a unix-lf compatible editor such as notepad++ or ultraedit and edit the entry for the game so the filenames are the same like in the zip, or rename the files so they are the same as in the romrc.
One user said that the ROMs need to be unpacked. Is that true or should it be one zip file? Thanks.

blakespot

Last edited by a moderator:
blakespot posted on Jul 26 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
kanzlr posted on Jul 26 2006 at 10:34 AM said:

One user said that the ROMs need to be unpacked. Is that true or should it be one zip file? Thanks.

blakespot
They need to stay zipped into one file.

kanzlr posted on Jul 26 2006 at 02:10 PM said:
all my roms are zipped and work.
It's the "BIOS" ROM I have an issue with, not the game ROMs I believe. "BIOS" ROM should be zipped to?

blakespot

Question: to properly add a ROM, do you just place the rom (+ the dumped gfx file you create) into the ROMs directory?

I am using gngeo

I thought you had to edit a config file somewhere to tell gngeo where to look? etc.

sorry for the n00bish question

I still can't get this working. Can someone post a dir listing of their 'BIOS' ROM dir for the NeoGeo - just the names so I can tell if I'm anywhere near right?

Thanks.

blakespot

000-lo.lo
aes-bios
asia-s3.rom
dsp-s2.sp1
sfix.sfx
sm1.sm1
sp-e.sp1
sp-j2.rom
sp-s.sp1
sp-sp2.sp1
sp1.jipan.1024
unibios.rom
usa_2slt.bin
vs-bios.rom

There you go! im not sure if the ".sfx" files come with the game or if they are needed.

Got the BIOS working now.

Metal Slug 3 having issues. My mslug3.zip - when unpacked - looks like the default romrc listing - .ph1,2 roms there too. Yet, when running the emu dumps out of rage2x and back to std (green) emu list after unpacking 6 roms.

What could that be? (using .zip file - not unpacked on the SD)

blakespot

You probably need to use dumpgfx - Metal Slug 3 is a 'large' rom which can't be fully loaded into gngeo due to memory restrictions. Hence some of the graphics are 'dumped' to a .gfx file that gngeo can then uncompress on the fly (or something like that, I'm no programmer so if I'm wrong feel free to correct).

Either way you will need a valid .gfx file, which you can get by using the program dumpgfx (google it, pretty easy to find) on a valid proper ROM.

sometimes when you change gngeo version you will need to re-dump the .gfx file as well, which is annoying

blakespot posted on Aug 4 2006 at 08:34 AM said:
Got the BIOS working now.

Metal Slug 3 having issues. My mslug3.zip - when unpacked - looks like the default romrc listing - .ph1,2 roms there too. Yet, when running the emu dumps out of rage2x and back to std (green) emu list after unpacking 6 roms.

What could that be? (using .zip file - not unpacked on the SD)

blakespot

johannlo posted on Aug 9 2006 at 07:40 AM said:
You probably need to use dumpgfx - Metal Slug 3 is a 'large' rom which can't be fully loaded into gngeo due to memory restrictions. Hence some of the graphics are 'dumped' to a .gfx file that gngeo can then uncompress on the fly (or something like that, I'm no programmer so if I'm wrong feel free to correct).

Either way you will need a valid .gfx file, which you can get by using the program dumpgfx (google it, pretty easy to find) on a valid proper ROM.

Hmm - interesting. When I ran Metal Slug 2 for the first time (it works), gngeo2x went aheaed and created the .gfx file for me - asksed if it was ok to write out a 32MB file to the SD. Should it be doing same for me w/ MS3?

Tnx.

bp

Back