Gngeo 0.7

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
GnGeo is NeoGeo emulator from Pepone. Very little work was needed to port it, basically adjusting a few functions which were hitting GP2X hardware directly (see source diffs).

I was interested to see what was preventing the port to be made, and found nothing :) There were reports about some Cyclone bug but it was not true.
There are no Wiz specific tweaks like tearing fix in this release (I'm not interested in maintaining this, so if anyone wants to please go ahead), but LCD timing setup app is included to reduce the problem.

download
source diff for gngeo
source diff for rage2x frontend

oh, god! finally gngeo came to us!
works really fine and much faster than original gp2x version. thanx, notaz :D
(yesterday-picodrive, today-gegeo..surprising presents for me! i'm a huge fan of SEGA & SNK :p )
by the way, i have a question to you, notaz.
key mapping of wiz version is slightly different from gp2x version,
so can i change key mapping by anyway?
(in fact, only two buttons are different.
'A' button of neo geo is mapped as Y button of wiz, while as X button in gp2x version.
and 'D' button of neo geo is mapped as X button of wiz, while as Y button in gp2x version.)
i wanna play on familiar key mapping, if that's possible.

Thank you Notaz for all your work you have been doing for the Wiz. You and all the other devs porting emus, making apps, and homebrew games really are making my Wiz purchase a very nice one indeed. Thanks for all the work you have done. I'm happy that you looked into GnGeo and decided to port it over for us. Did pepone ever brick his Wiz? I hope not, but that's what I heard. It's also nice to know that there was no real major bug to never keep this emulator from showing up. Anywho, thanks again! :)

Thanks for the port but I can't get it to work. Everything I tried says unsupported romset.

I know Neo Geo has several types of roms for each game, how do I know which ones are supported? I tried downloading Metal Slug from two different sources, one zip had the roms titled "mslug_c1.rom", "mslug_c2.rom" and so on, the other zip said "201-c1.rom" and "201-c2.rom" neither romset worked, how do I know which romsets I need?

Also how do I know if I even have the right bios? I downloaded a bios zip that included like 11 different files so I just threw them all in the ROMs directory but I don't know if they're all needed or not.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Really thank you for the porting Notaz!

Only one question; do you think it will be easy to add the ability of to set Wiz CPU clock?

Maybe with 800mhz overclock, games with raster effects like neoturfmaster will go fullspeed...

MiOdd said:
Thanks for the port but I can't get it to work. Everything I tried says unsupported romset.

I know Neo Geo has several types of roms for each game, how do I know which ones are supported? I tried downloading Metal Slug from two different sources, one zip had the roms titled "mslug_c1.rom", "mslug_c2.rom" and so on, the other zip said "201-c1.rom" and "201-c2.rom" neither romset worked, how do I know which romsets I need?

Also how do I know if I even have the right bios? I downloaded a bios zip that included like 11 different files so I just threw them all in the ROMs directory but I don't know if they're all needed or not.

For what I know, You have downloaded neoragex roms, but this emulator uses neogeo MAME roms (or at least the same format), I recommend you to download the roms from a MAME roms repository, that worked to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
vEGA-rJ said:

Only one question; do you think it will be easy to add the ability of to set Wiz CPU clock?

Maybe with 800mhz overclock, games with raster effects like neoturfmaster will go fullspeed...

It's already included (pollux_set). All you have to do is to edit the .gpe file.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48575-wiz-ram-timings-test/

sbock said:
vEGA-rJ said:

It's already included (pollux_set). All you have to do is to edit the .gpe file.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48575-wiz-ram-timings-test/

Great! I'll try 700 and 800mhz settings, thank you all!

:)

Notaz is a God from Lithuania :eek:

Please Notaz, update your Nes emulator (GPFCE) for Wiz, add full scale and CPU clock seletor (to underclock) and other improvements that only you can do.

Thanks from Brazil, i love you ^_^

Here is a version with GP2X button layout:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/misc/gngeo-0.7-wiz.zip
It was also uploaded to the archive but that will have to wait for ED.

Badboyluc said:
Please Notaz, update your Nes emulator (GPFCE) for Wiz, add full scale and CPU clock seletor (to underclock) and other improvements that only you can do.
Yeah I know there is some demand for that but I want to do something else right now. Maybe someday..

notaz said:
Here is a version with GP2X button layout:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/misc/gngeo-0.7-wiz.zip
It was also uploaded to the archive but that will have to wait for ED.

Badboyluc said:
Yeah I know there is some demand for that but I want to do something else right now. Maybe someday..

OK :(

Thanks Notaz, nice to see a port. I don't have much time to work on gngeo for now unfortunatly.
As for the bug with my code and cyclone, it waw IIRC with the lastest svn source of gngeo, not the 0.7. Or maybe it was my toolchain... I dunno

hi to everybody,have you made a will kof98? How in the old f100 it refuses to work,does it jam in the menu MVS,how come?
I have resolved using the rom of an old romset (0.37) it now works

notaz said:
GnGeo is NeoGeo emulator from Pepone. Very little work was needed to port it, basically adjusting a few functions which were hitting GP2X hardware directly (see source diffs).

I was interested to see what was preventing the port to be made, and found nothing :) There were reports about some Cyclone bug but it was not true.
There are no Wiz specific tweaks like tearing fix in this release (I'm not interested in maintaining this, so if anyone wants to please go ahead), but LCD timing setup app is included to reduce the problem.
Thanks Notaz for the great work finding the "bug" and porting the emu to Wiz. If no one continues this do you think someday the tearing fix could be implemented? Tearing is annoying in many games.

Thanks for taking the time to port this :) You are a savior for the Wiz right now when things have seemed to have slowed down.

pepone said:
Thanks Notaz, nice to see a port. I don't have much time to work on gngeo for now unfortunatly.
As for the bug with my code and cyclone, it waw IIRC with the lastest svn source of gngeo, not the 0.7. Or maybe it was my toolchain... I dunno

Pepone, I have noticed that the sound has some problems. In Metal Slug 1 for example things get very staticy sounding. At the first boss for example the shots sound very crackly/staticy do you know what causes this?

Don Flamenco said:
MiOdd said:

For what I know, You have downloaded neoragex roms, but this emulator uses neogeo MAME roms (or at least the same format), I recommend you to download the roms from a MAME roms repository, that worked to me.

Thanks, I got the emulator to recognize the roms now however I have another proble. When I load the game the graphics are all scrambled and its unplayable. I'm still trying Metal Slug and I can hear the game running and it sounds likes it working nicely but I can't get passed the scrambled graphics. Same thing happens when I tried Neo Drift Out. I also tried Puzzle Bobble and that just gives me a blank screen, again I hear the sound working and can view the score text but the actual part of the screen that has the gameplay is completely black.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Back