Gimmie A Small Project

generalnmx

Playful/Fascist Mod
Website
www.matts-hosting.com
I'd like to start coding for the GP32 again, but all my projects are too big for the time I have available currently. Give suggestions for small development projects for the GP32 and I'll pick the one I find the most interesting.

dwarrior posted on Jul 2 2004 at 10:41 AM said:
I'm clueless as to whether this is a small project or not but it is the best RPG ever.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

There are a lot of people waiting for this. So if you decide to do this, you'll make a lot of people happy (including me :D ).
Thirded, but I have a feeling you're looking for original games :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico posted on Jul 2 2004 at 12:27 PM said:
I'm clueless as to whether this is a small project or not but it is the best RPG ever.

There are a lot of people waiting for this. So if you decide to do this, you'll make a lot of people happy (including me :D ).
I can't see how that would be a small project....
What about trying to port LBAwin

sebastian_insua posted on Jul 2 2004 at 07:47 AM said:
Rico posted on Jul 2 2004 at 12:27 PM said:

I can't see how that would be a small project....
What about trying to port LBAwin
seconded
that games looks fun

Ports would be a "big project" for me because I suck so badly at porting. I may attempt it again one day, but not right now. And I don't have a chatboard :rolleyes:

I have an idea in mind about an RPG where you get companion characters (NPCs which fight with your main character) through an online database of other people's characters. The companion characters would follow their own AI based somehow on the person's personality. My initial design idea calls for a "personality test" at the beginning of the game which determines how your character fights when downloaded from the database or set to "Auto" in your own game. The test would have to be complex enough to warrent a variety of possible AI, but the AI itself can be relatively simple. Another cool addition would be to duel other people's characters. I'm still trying to figure out the system of leveling, I think something about the person's character's level should transfer from the online database, but I don't want Level 999999 characters fighting along side a Level 1. I need to give it some more thought.

So far, what do you think?

loki666 posted on Jul 2 2004 at 06:07 PM said:
mmmh...
he said small projects... exult is clearly not a small project neither lbaWin
try here nelson's page
there are some small games with sources (prince duel seems fun)
true, but LBAwin would not be as big a project as exult i think...

generalnmx posted on Jul 2 2004 at 07:56 PM said:
Ports would be a "big project" for me because I suck so badly at porting. I may attempt it again one day, but not right now. And I don't have a chatboard :rolleyes:

I have an idea in mind about an RPG where you get companion characters (NPCs which fight with your main character) through an online database of other people's characters. The companion characters would follow their own AI based somehow on the person's personality. My initial design idea calls for a "personality test" at the beginning of the game which determines how your character fights when downloaded from the database or set to "Auto" in your own game. The test would have to be complex enough to warrent a variety of possible AI, but the AI itself can be relatively simple. Another cool addition would be to duel other people's characters. I'm still trying to figure out the system of leveling, I think something about the person's character's level should transfer from the online database, but I don't want Level 999999 characters fighting along side a Level 1. I need to give it some more thought.

So far, what do you think?
sounds cool.
There's some advanced maths involved in levelling because it's got to be more exp for each level. You'd have to do shite load of testing but I'm sure you could pull it off. ;)

I must say I like that idea alot.

If you want to do something a bit extra, give it real time events aka Animal Crossing.

When you turn the program on, it asks for the time and date. It then saves this onto the SMC. It then keeps time throughout the game until you turn it off. When you next run the game, it asks for the time again. It then calculates the difference between the two times and creates events accordingly.

Well...wouldn't really be a small project...

That would be kind of inconvenient.

As for the levelling, just make EXP for next level = Ae^(Bx+C) + D filling in those values of course, where x is the level. RM2K had a nice tool for plotting custom curves, but all you really have to do is think up some example values and regress the points.

An Animal Crossing type game would be FANTASTIC. I love that game.

I do like your idea, with the character uploading and stuff. But how would most people create their own sprites? You know, you could make a Megaman Battle Network-style system and people could make their own chip folders and styles of fighting (through the personality thing). A simple download-and-duel system would work pretty well. After that, if you still wanted to, you could make it a full-fledged game, but this would be an interesting replacement to the typical RPG community game.

Back