Update Giana's Return v1.10.2.1

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
Giana’s Return aims to be a worthy UNOFFICIAL sequel of “The Great Giana Sisters”. “The Great Giana Sisters” is an alltime Jump'n Run classic made in the late eighties mainly by Armin Gessert, Manfred Trenz and Chris Hülsbeck.

This sequel by Retroguru has been ported by our team member Pickle, long ago and brought to life on the OpenPandora. Notaz, who can be considered a new Retroguru member, will help out in little things, when his time allows this. So with the main work of Pickle and a recompilation followed by a small checkup by Notaz, we are very proud to announce that Giana’s Return is now up to the very latest release again. Thanks Pickle and thanks Notaz! With those two gentlemen on OpenPandora-Board nothing can go wrong :)

Release can be found here: https://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=gianasreturn

On a sidenote: Notaz will not actively develop for us as he has enough projects on his own, but he will help and shape smaller tasks when needed. So he can still take care of bigger things :)

Thanks for the polished game, I played this a lot on the GP2X some years back and remember following your dev blog leading up to its release.

Some feedback:
  • This would be a lot more playable if you mapped jumping to an action button instead of Dpad Up. Jumping with Up works fine on a PC keyboard, but not so well on a dpad.
  • "Press Start" is mentioned in several places, but the Start button isn't mapped, you need to press the Enter key instead.

Last edited:
Hi all !

@Kojote : thank you (and Pickle and Notaz) very much for that update :) Out of curiosity, "options.txt" mentions OpenGL support, have you tried this on the Pandora ?

@alxm : we're on the same boat here, I remember playing the first Wiz version on my OC'ed GP2X @ 250 MHz with Open2X DR7 :)

EDIT: now that Notaz is involved, are you using his improved SDL version ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Very polished now. Not night and day, but this version makes me want to play it (thanks for the level passwords). @alxm: Not sure, but all your complaints are gone. Are you sure you have the updated version?

Can not beat the first Bird boss.... yet.

Just watched Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Part 1.... niiiice.

Seems like i have to update my version on pandora...

Is there a way to get the GBA Version some where from??
Would be great for my Revo GBA...

• This would be a lot more playable if you mapped jumping to an action button instead of Dpad Up. Jumping with Up works fine on a PC keyboard, but not so well on a dpad.
  • "Press Start" is mentioned in several places, but the Start button isn't mapped, you need to press the Enter key instead.
The game now defaults to "pandorized" inputs, however if you ever ran the old version, it will use the old config assuming you might have customized you controls (the game supports control customization in the main menu).

The game now defaults to "pandorized" inputs, however if you ever ran the old version, it will use the old config assuming you might have customized you controls (the game supports control customization in the main menu).
Thanks for the tip, I deleted appdata/giana and all inputs are pandorized now. I know what I'll be doing with my day tomorrow - thanks again for the awesome game, everyone :)

Ok, gave it a spin and got to level 27-ish so far.
Weird: For highscores user input, I can not find the space on the wheel, only digits and letters.
Sometimes, when you are hit (just not jumping on top of a baddy) you recover and can, or can not jump immediately; which I find inconsistent.
Also: good (YOU BASTARDS!!!) level design. Where, just before you think you are save, there is a different monster (which you can not jump on top of) or a few spikes... well done... challenging, yet, when you think you are speedrunning and its too easy... it is not.
Not so fond of you using so much plants and rocks hiding the baddies... makes you stumble and think before jumping just in case instead of walking.
Also love the story telling. This really introduced the snow, or lava levels very well.
And I found some level jumps... aargh... got send back... nice hidden levels and treasure rooms, like the original had.

now at Stage 51 Swamp area (pwd is HQ78M6). Pretty hard now, lots of "wait for it" moments. Killed a boss and I died too, lucky I had another life, so when I respawned, the boss was not there and I could continue. Xhale is pretty hard.
Looking back, just now I see some of the classic meanies which I was missing.

Back