GP2X Ghostbusters On Gp2x

Batman2

Still Fresh
I was wondering if anyone would convert this Brand New Remake of GHOSTBUSTERS on PC to GP2X.

Here are the Details:-

Right, there has been a competition running for the past couple of months over at RetroRemakes and one of the entries was a remake of the old classic Commodore 64 game Ghostbusters based on the brilliant movie.
Anyway since the competition is now over we the public can now download and enjoy the game for free.

The bad news is that over the past 36 hours the servers over at RetroRemakes got totally hammered with over 100GB of downloads HERE

The good news is you can still currently download this game from the programmers own website HERE.

I am running windows XP SP2 and it is running with no problems.

As well as being the original classic game he has enhanced the game with some newer elements.

Come on i'm sure someone is up for the challenge.

gp32_console

No source = NO PORT!!! How should anyone port this if there is no source-code? At least, I can`t find it... Also it looks suspiciously like direct3d which is not going to happen ever on the gp2x... not portable.

yeah, but c64 had that spectacular speech sample on the title screen which everybody was like "Woah man, my c64 just friggin talked to me dude, dig this!" back in the day.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 5 2006 at 07:26 PM said:
No source = NO PORT!!! How should anyone port this if there is no source-code? At least, I can`t find it... Also it looks suspiciously like direct3d which is not going to happen ever on the gp2x... not portable.

Well not being a programmer :( but being a huge ghostbusters fan I thought some body who knew what they were doing would contact the designer and see if he will provide all the relevant info so that a GP2X conversion could be done.

This is his website :- http://www.scottige.co.uk/
This is his email :- scotty@scottige.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Batman2 posted on Sep 5 2006 at 02:41 PM said:
xnopasaranx posted on Sep 5 2006 at 07:26 PM said:

Well not being a programmer :( but being a huge ghostbusters fan I thought some body who knew what they were doing would contact the designer and see if he will provide all the relevant info so that a GP2X conversion could be done.

This is his website :- http://www.scottige.co.uk/
This is his email :- scotty@scottige.co.uk

Well, don't be shy. Go ahead and contact him. If you're the one that wants to see this ported, then assume the leg work and see if you can get a hold of the source. Then post the source here and maybe somebody would port it, provided that it isn't DirectX. Do you know if this game uses SDL? Maybe the author might be interested in the GP2X scene and will port it himself. Who knows.

Why is this in the developers corner instead of cool ideas and other wishes? Someone please move this into the right forum section.

As for the game, i could never get into that, it was really boring back then, but this version looks great and has added a few nice things to it. I have to nitpick, though. Where's moron? and why do the 3 other ghostbusters look the same?

If you want to play a really fun Ghostbusters game on the GP2x, check out "New Ghostbusters 2 (E)" on the NES! You can pick from all 4 regular ghostbusters, Egon, Ray, Peter, moron, and you can even pick Louis! It's a top-down game, and it's a LOT of fun, I really recommend you try it!

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 5 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
As for the game, i could never get into that, it was really boring back then, but this version looks great and has added a few nice things to it.
I agree entirely.

Note also that this remake runs quite poorly in-game on my 500Mhz P3 laptop, which is about 3-4 times faster than a GP2X, I expect.

The retro remakes for Windows that people seem to be making aren't really that efficient in terms of hardware usage. That's not the point of them, of course, but it doesn't make them ideal sources for ports to the GP2X.

OMG! This was one of my future projects! I had planned to do a new version of the original game, all 'unofficially' of course. Using nicer graphics and sounds / music etc. That game rocked....

People always come up with the same ideas I guess, sooner or later.

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 5 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
If you want to play a really fun Ghostbusters game on the GP2x, check out "New Ghostbusters 2 (E)" on the NES! You can pick from all 4 regular ghostbusters, Egon, Ray, Peter, moron, and you can even pick Louis! It's a top-down game, and it's a LOT of fun, I really recommend you try it!

Will have to check this out.

Never really liked the Ghostbusters game on MAME, the top town one on rooftops.

I think it's kind of funny how the board is changing Win ston (space added to dodge word ban) to "moron", but none of the other names. Might be construed as racist. :p

Ravnos posted on Sep 6 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
I think it's kind of funny how the board is changing Win ston (space added to dodge word ban) to "moron", but none of the other names. Might be construed as racist. :p

Huh? Lost me...

I have had a reply from the author and he's happy for me to port it but it's written in Multimedia Fusion, which means I will have to write large portions of the 'automated' stuff that MMF handles. It shouldn't be too difficult, but it will be fun =D

Gadget posted on Sep 6 2006 at 02:14 PM said:

Huh? Lost me...
He's referring to the following post where the board automatically replaced one of the names of the Ghostbusters with the word "moron" and that the character referred to as moron just happened to be the only African-American Ghostbuster.

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 5 2006 at 04:41 PM said:
Why is this in the developers corner instead of cool ideas and other wishes? Someone please move this into the right forum section.

As for the game, i could never get into that, it was really boring back then, but this version looks great and has added a few nice things to it. I have to nitpick, though. Where's moron? and why do the 3 other ghostbusters look the same?

moron Win ston
Yes, the board does for some reason change it to moron. Try it. Type "win ston" without a space and it will come out as moron. Guess somebody hates that name.

mcqfesijiba posted on Sep 8 2006 at 09:07 AM said:
Yes at the board does for some reason change it to moron. Try it. Type "win ston" without a space and it will come out as moron. Guess somebody hates that name.
Win ston is a brand of moron (i actully typed ciga rette there). Just one of the amusing board quirks I guess.

Gadget posted on Sep 6 2006 at 08:14 PM said:

Huh? Lost me...

I have had a reply from the author and he's happy for me to port it but it's written in Multimedia Fusion, which means I will have to write large portions of the 'automated' stuff that MMF handles. It shouldn't be too difficult, but it will be fun =D

Nice one Gadget ;)

Dzz posted on Sep 8 2006 at 09:12 AM said:
Yes at the board does for some reason change it to moron. Try it. Type "win ston" without a space and it will come out as moron. Guess somebody hates that name.
Win ston is a brand of moron (i actully typed ciga rette there). Just one of the amusing board quirks I guess.
Just about every half-decent message board software has a word replacement function. It's usually used to deal with spammers. In this case, I believe someone was spamming for ciga rettes on here at one point.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence in this case. :)

Ravnos posted on Sep 9 2006 at 03:50 AM said:
Dzz posted on Sep 8 2006 at 09:12 AM said:
Just about every half-decent message board software has a word replacement function. It's usually used to deal with spammers. In this case, I believe someone was spamming for ciga rettes on here at one point.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence in this case. :)

LOL! Now it makes sense!

Got the 'file' for GhostBusters btw. Just need to get it loaded into MultiMedia Fusion 2 Pro now to extract the images and see how he's coded various sections.

OK, got all the graphics and sound etc. Working on the game logic at the moment. It's probably going to be a couple of weeks before any kind of release. It will look sweet on the GP2X. Following some of the MultiMedia Fusion stuff is a nightmare. It should be called MultiMedia Con-Fusion...

Back