Ghostbusters Gp2x Port (more Of A Rewrite...) V0.01

Awesome! I remember playing this on my friend's C64 back in the day. I have to try this out this weekend.

"We came, we saw, we kicked it's ass!"

Hehe, awesome job so far! It's really faithful to the c64 version but with much improved graphics and sound.

It's not finished yet, but when it is, it'll be wicked.

Hey - great stuff. I used to play this for hours on the speccy.

Looking at the replies, there's a hell of a lot of interest for this game. I'll be donating once it's done.

OK, downloaded now, and looks like you're making some real good progress :):):) This was by far one of my favourite C64 games back in the day.

I did notice a couple of niggles though... I realise that this is a WIP of an early version, so perhaps some of these issues are now moot, but here goes...

1. Initial Loading appears a little slow? If this is due to preloading of files etc, might be nice to either show a progress bar, or even just a "Please wait" type screen. If it's not due to that, perhaps my GP2X needs a rocket inserting somewhere ;)

2. Love the "Controls" screen :) I suppose it would be nice in due course to be able to configure the buttons used, but frankly with 2 "action" buttons, this is hardly a requirement imho. The "Back" item at the bottom though might better be replaced with "PRESS X TO GO BACK" - It's not immediately obvious otherwise (Yes, I know the rotating logo is meant to represent that the selection is ready to be executed with "X", but as it's the only selection, it's a little ambiguous)

3. The Vehicle Price List is a little small on my screen to be easily readable - would benefit from being edited and made a little larger imho

4. Ditto the list of equipment - the icons are great, but the text is a little teeny-weeny.

5. The "Continue" option to start the game (having equipped the car) is all well-and-good, but perhaps it would be nice to allow "START" to be pressed instead as a simpler alternative?

6. When moving the Ghostbuster person when "on-site", the controls seem to be suffering from "missing diagonals". Makes it quite cumbersome to move them.

7. Detection of ghost entrapment seems a little "vague" right now (i.e. you can effectively miss by a fair bit and yet the ghost is still caught in the trap) - perhaps this should vary based on difficulty?

8. The trap and ghostbuster disappear following a successful entrapment (you already mentioned this one)

9. The message "You have no traps left" etc. are pretty tiny and could perhaps do with being enlarged?

10. A personal thing - the buildings flash blue prior to being "haunted" - hopefully this is difficulty-based, as part of the challenge is in remembering which buildings are "due" to go red, in which order, and when ;)

11. Missing marshmallow man (You already mentioned this one)

That's it for now :) PLEASE don't think I am trying to be anything but constructive with the points above. You've already done such a great job porting this remake - Thanks!!!

Good Job!
Tony

DialTone posted on Sep 29 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
OK, downloaded now, and looks like you're making some real good progress :):):) This was by far one of my favourite C64 games back in the day.

I did notice a couple of niggles though... I realise that this is a WIP of an early version, so perhaps some of these issues are now moot, but here goes...

1. Initial Loading appears a little slow? If this is due to preloading of files etc, might be nice to either show a progress bar, or even just a "Please wait" type screen. If it's not due to that, perhaps my GP2X needs a rocket inserting somewhere ;)

2. Love the "Controls" screen :) I suppose it would be nice in due course to be able to configure the buttons used, but frankly with 2 "action" buttons, this is hardly a requirement imho. The "Back" item at the bottom though might better be replaced with "PRESS X TO GO BACK" - It's not immediately obvious otherwise (Yes, I know the rotating logo is meant to represent that the selection is ready to be executed with "X", but as it's the only selection, it's a little ambiguous)

3. The Vehicle Price List is a little small on my screen to be easily readable - would benefit from being edited and made a little larger imho

4. Ditto the list of equipment - the icons are great, but the text is a little teeny-weeny.

5. The "Continue" option to start the game (having equipped the car) is all well-and-good, but perhaps it would be nice to allow "START" to be pressed instead as a simpler alternative?

6. When moving the Ghostbuster person when "on-site", the controls seem to be suffering from "missing diagonals". Makes it quite cumbersome to move them.

7. Detection of ghost entrapment seems a little "vague" right now (i.e. you can effectively miss by a fair bit and yet the ghost is still caught in the trap) - perhaps this should vary based on difficulty?

8. The trap and ghostbuster disappear following a successful entrapment (you already mentioned this one)

9. The message "You have no traps left" etc. are pretty tiny and could perhaps do with being enlarged?

10. A personal thing - the buildings flash blue prior to being "haunted" - hopefully this is difficulty-based, as part of the challenge is in remembering which buildings are "due" to go red, in which order, and when ;)

11. Missing marshmallow man (You already mentioned this one)

That's it for now :) PLEASE don't think I am trying to be anything but constructive with the points above. You've already done such a great job porting this remake - Thanks!!!

Good Job!
Tony

Thanks for this! This is the kind of feedback I want, so it will be perfect when complete. I am finishing off the marshmallow man bits now, and then will address these issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow a download, had no idea you had started another thread for this.

Downloading now, will give it a play later.

At last I can play the game anywhere.

By the way I met Ernie Hudson yesterday, he is in Milton Keynes doing a convention for fans.
Ernie will be there for 1 more day (Sunday) if anyone wants to go meet him.
He is in the Milton Keynes Shopping Centre.
Have a look here for details :- http://www.collectormania.com/

I am almost there now! I have done the marsh mallow screen, cut scenes, game over screens, difficulty, instructions. Just need to tie up some loose ends. I might release again tonight, if not it will be tomorrow.

I had aplay of this today - great stuff indeed. My only problem was the ghost was quite hard to see when you're ready to set the trap - it could have been due to quite strong sun on the screen. I have to agree with a couple of the comments above - could do with the writing a little larger if poss.

Don't Cross The Streams!

sbt posted on Sep 30 2006 at 07:12 PM said:
I had aplay of this today - great stuff indeed. My only problem was the ghost was quite hard to see when you're ready to set the trap - it could have been due to quite strong sun on the screen. I have to agree with a couple of the comments above - could do with the writing a little larger if poss.

Don't Cross The Streams!

Did you have the Image Intensifier? I will make them less transparent when you have the II.

I need to add the 'cross the streams' explosion bit as well...

OK just had a quick blast and found some things for you to look at.

1. when you are equiping your car you cannot hear Janine loud enough over the music with her"What Do You Want!"

2. There is no collision detection on the driving bit's, you can drive through on coming cars and not get penalised for it.

3. When I went to one of the buildings to catch a ghost, as soon as the first GB man appeared he automatically kept walking right and so did the second man.

4. When you activate the trap it could be faster.

However I loved how you put Janine shouting "We Got One!" as you start your first bust.
Also loved how you put a siren on Ecto-1 as it hurtles up the road to the next job.
Also loved the new "Ghostbusters" shout when you trap a ghost.
Really liking your personal touches over the PC version.

Keep up the good work.

Another quick update.

Just had another go and went to a couple of calls, the men kept walking left even though I was not touching the controller, ended up with the trap and both guys in the left hand side of the screen.

When doing the driving bits I noticed that you seem to get to the building just as another $ sybol appears on the road that you do not have time to reach.

Also the usual white Ghostbusters car you choose on the start screen only holds 7 items, I think it is meant to hold 9. At the moment when you equip your car you only end up with room for 2 traps and so when playing the game have to keep going back to GBHQ to empty them far to often.

Also the number of buildings that have ghosts seem to occur far to quick (not sure if you have done this on a temp basis) because by the time you get to Zuul you might have more money than Bill Gates, lol.

I noticed the same problem as Batman2 where after a while of playing the ghost busters in the trapping bit kept walking all the way to the left of the screen even though I wasn't pressing anything.

hello there ,
i did the gfx on this remake and its great to see someone porting it across.
all i ask for is that you credit us and that its free.
if you need any gfx that you cant rip just let me know and i'll be happy to send it over.
just tried it and its coming on great - love the extra sound fx ;).

edit - we are doing a post portem of the problems we had and how i did the gfx etc , if anyones interested i'll post a link when its done

smila posted on Oct 5 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
hello there ,
if you need any gfx that you cant rip just let me know and i'll be happy to send it over.

edit - we are doing a post portem of the problems we had and how i did the gfx etc , if anyones interested i'll post a link when its done

Would love to take a look Smila when it's ready. ;)

I love both versions (PC & GP2X) the furthest I got was up to good old Marshmello Man but got stomped :lol:

smila posted on Oct 5 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
hello there ,

Hey!! Good to see you on here =D Hope you are considering buying a GP2X ;) I am interested in the post portem! I could write one of my own for this lol. The problem is I went in like a bull in a china shop because I just wanted to see the end product. It's taken me longer because of that.

I have it 95% complete now, but still have streamer and car collisions to do, and the final battle, which I have never seen and cannot make head nor tail of the MMF code. Could you explain or provide some simple screen shots showing what moves where and how fast?

We had a nasty bug when mallowman appears for the 3rd time , the bloody ghosts wouldnt form up and the game just froze . took ages to fix that one.

Ive got an account code you can put in which give you the flying delorian (back to the future) loads o money and the ability to add money and pk when ya want so getting to the end bit can be done in seconds.
As long as you promise not to pass it on to anyone else , we are waiting a while till we release it.

The orig version didnt have a final battle so we decided to add one.

smila posted on Oct 5 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
We had a nasty bug when mallowman appears for the 3rd time , the bloody ghosts wouldnt form up and the game just froze . took ages to fix that one.
I kinda hit the opposite problem with my dodgy coding, the ghosts wouldn't go anywhere after the mallowman disappeared. =D

Ive got an account code you can put in which give you the flying delorian (back to the future) loads o money and the ability to add money and pk when ya want so getting to the end bit can be done in seconds.
As long as you promise not to pass it on to anyone else , we are waiting a while till we release it.

Sure, if you could PM me that would be great. I need to add the delorian in yet =/

The orig version didnt have a final battle so we decided to add one.
I know, I love the way you extended it into what it should have been. The original 80s version finale was too short and didn't involve much. I vaguely remember seeing an 'extra screen' on the C64 version though... I think the speccy version ended straight after the mallowman, but the C64 had the top of the building with the 'cross the streams' bit. Maybe I am wrong?? I have the C64 ROM but haven't got around to playing it yet.

Hi,

This is just a quick update to let you know I haven't forgotten about it ;) I have been mad busy with work and other commitments for the last 2 weeks (infact, the last few months...)

It's almost ready. I need to finish the final battle, difficulty adjustments, and the streamer collision. Pretty much everything else is done.

Back