GP2X Help With A Port Of Midishare?

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
As we all may well be aware, the GP2X would make an excellent MIDI machine - by MIDI, i don't just mean "play back MIDI files to an internal MIDI synth", i mean "talk the full MIDI protocol to external MIDI devices" ..

One of the nicest API's for MIDI in the world is MidiShare .. and i'm almost finished with the port of this system to the GP2X .. but i need some help.

Anyone got the interest to work on this with me?

FWIW, MidiShare offers a -lot- to the MIDI hacker on the GP2X .. have a look at the API and see what you think. It consists of a kernel module (for timing/resources) and a lib, as well as extensive user-mode drivers to do MIDI over serial, raw MIDI, MIDI with a USB-device, and even MIDI over the 'net ..

As of tonight I've got the lib and drivers and sample apps built, and the kernel module is very close, which is the final steps in the path to testing it .. but I had to adapt atomic operations for ARM, and I'm having some weird build issues that I could use a bit of a chat about, with someone interested in (and competent enough to engage in) talking about what it takes to get the module compiled ..

So if you're interested, let me know (PM or followup this thread) and we'll work out some way to share my GP2X branch of MidiShare for ARM ..

you might try going into the GP2X dev IRC chan. I don't remember where it is, but you can find the Server and port somewhere in this forum.

you might try going into the GP2X dev IRC chan. I don't remember where it is, but you can find the Server and port somewhere in this forum.

yeah, i lurk in there all the time (EFNet/#gp2xdev) .. 'torpor' .. i've already discussed a bit about this with the dev'ers i've met in there, but not everyone is in IRC at the same times, so i figured i'd use the board too ..

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you connect the 2X to other midi devices? Through serial?

yes, through serial .. i've already hacked up a MIDI/Serial expansion board for the gp2x, its fairly easy to make, and the thing about MidiShare is that it comes with a serial->MIDI driver ready to roll ..

How would you connect the 2X to other midi devices? Through serial?

yes, through serial .. i've already hacked up a MIDI/Serial expansion board for the gp2x, its fairly easy to make, and the thing about MidiShare is that it comes with a serial->MIDI driver ready to roll ..

I'd like to help but I'm very unsimilar of gp2x yet... :(
(just started learning the ARM assembler and coded some small programs in Python)

But idea is fantastic one!!

I'd like have a midi seqencer for gp2x... it'd be great to control my rack synths using this handheld. It could make a perfect workstation with portable midi keyboard and possible much more powerfull seqencer than in the Triton or Motif.

Probably some kind of sound generation wouldn't be too much for gp2x too! Especially using both cores and we could have over 400mips here. There is enough memory for a nice pcm waveset also...

Back