Getting Video Ready For The Gp2x

starbase1

Still Fresh
Hi All,
I got my hands on my shiny new GP2X a couple of days ago, and so far I am VERY impressed, physically it's a lot better build quality than I was expecting. It will take me a bit of time to get to grips with it, but I'm really looking forward to it, particularly getting the hang of the emulators and playing some of the old games I remember from many years ago.

The other thing I like a lot is the idea of having a portable video platform, I like making 3d graphics and have also done some music videos, so being able to show them off is cool.

But I am getting confused about what I should do to convert videos to a format that will work reliably on my GP2X. My most common input format is ready for PAL DVD, though I have huge amount of stuff cluttering my hard drives in a vast number of formats...

Can anyone recommend a good video converter, and the required settings for good playback on the GP2x?

Thanks,
Nick

I agree with pocketdivxencoder as a choice.

Very user friendly with fantastic default encode settings for portable devices.

I noticed that if you have higher bitrates, the SD card specific reading speed can also be a bottleneck.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!

I had used Super to get stuff on my phone before, but the pocket encoder looks a lot easier to use, I've started it running now.

Nick

Go to Doom9 and read up on video encoding, then you can get the best quality for filesize. If you are not so fussy then there are a lot of automatic encoders which will give you ok quality.

Back