Get Those Space Boots On And Help Me!

Repo Man from 198x. the one with Harry Dean Stanton
Tetsuo I, the b&w version. I never got around to seeing the second one, despite the fact I really really enjoy the first one. Maybe I'm afraid its a letdown.

klikklak said:
Tetsuo I, the b&w version. I never got around to seeing the second one, despite the fact I really really enjoy the first one. Maybe I'm afraid its a letdown.
It's a little bit of a let down, but if you try and watch it as something completely separate from the first one, it feels like a good film. Seems to be how I get through any sequels ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might like Cloverfield.
gp32rich said:
Æon Flux - animated series better than film, ... but for Charlize Theron :wub:
:lol: Haha, I actually enjoyed the film, thought it was pretty cool dystopian sci-fi.

Oh yeah, and I think you'll enjoy the original 9. Not quite in outer space, but might as well be. Pretty cool short film.
Also, have you people forgotten Silent Running? Lot's of advertising for American Airlines, but a very interesting movie nonetheless.

Updated first post!!!

I watched Æon Flux last year but thought it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked (even after including the perving :p). It was the first time I've ever been tempted to just stop watching a movie halfway through. I had watched it straight after watching Gattaca, which is an awesome film, which probably didn't help.

SomeGuy99 said:
Javacat said:
- Farscape

This.

Also, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In my opinion, the best science fiction ever made.

DS9 is the best Star Trek by far, but it's not the best science fiction. Not even close.

The best sci-fi tends to come in book form, and I know you were looking for movies, but if you want good space opera to kill some time with, the Revelation Space series from Alastair Reynolds is awesome.

Also, most people here have posted some serious sci-fi, but if you just want to have a few laughs, the Ice Pirates is pretty great/stupid. I'll try and think of more later.

Ravnos said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Javacat said:
- Farscape

This.

Also, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In my opinion, the best science fiction ever made.

DS9 is the best Star Trek by far, but it's not the best science fiction. Not even close.

Okay then, best sci-fi TV series, closely followed by Farscape.

Fishbong said:
I also like DS9 better than any other Star Trek show, however it can't beat Firefly.

Joss Whedon? Really?

Is it anything like the film? I thought that was terrible.

At the end of the day, with DS9 you get a sophisticated sci-fi themed soap-opera/drama series. Not only does it draw from the rich and well developed Star Trek universe, but effectively encompasses the story of entire societies.

From the beginning, the show is catapulted far above any other Star Trek because the various races and characters are in a constant balance of conflict and cooperation.

DS9 depicts an entire war, with all the politics and unpredictable turns you would expect. This includes the prelude and triggering conditions, and the compromises, ethical challenges, and difficult decisions faced on both sides.

The only mistake they made was occasionally falling back on self contained episodes, but this was a move on the part of the studio to keep bringing in new viewers. I remember the opposite happened with Farscape, where episodes became hard to penetrate if you hadn't been following it.

The only sci-fi show I know of with the same breadth and sophistication as DS9 is Babylon 5, but I never got into that. The story goes that Paramount ripped off B5 in creating DS9, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. As much as I've tried, I just couldn't get into B5 at all... I might try again.

Guys.. I'm sorry to dig this back up after a couple posts, but I saw Silent Running... It was absolutely incredible! It was sci-fi as Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov would have loved; it was sci-fi that looked at the implications of things, what could happen, and so much more. I really recommend it.

+1 for Red Dwarf!

And for some bizarre reason the only Trek series I've seen beginning to end (ok, last few episodes are still unseen) was Enterprise. I did enjoy that, but I have a soft spot for time travel stories. DS9 always seemed boring when I saw a few episodes back when it was on TV and I was a bit too young for TNG or something when it was on. I'll try both, hell, TOS too, when I get the time to watch boring tv series with flux capacitator problems. Firefly was great however.

I didn't see "Screamers" on the list. I remember liking it when I was younger. Recently, my brother and I decided to dig through the old tapes to see if it held up now that we were older. But the tape's audio was shot, so we didn't get to watch it. Anyway, the coolest part about the movie was those buzzsaw things. They were like those flying saws in Half-Life 2, except they were hidden in the sand. And they evolved or something like that.

klikklak said:
DS9 always seemed boring when I saw a few episodes back when it was on TV and I was a bit too young for TNG or something when it was on.

That's the thing you see. I appreciate DS9 so much more now that I'm grown up.

When Virgin 1 reran the whole thing, I was completely hooked. So much so, I wouldn't even talk to my girlfriend at the time should she ring me up. And her being her... she would purposefully do so, exactly when it was on.

DS9 was a lot better than that relationship basically.

Updated list!

I don't think you can go wrong with any series of Star Trek :p I was originally all over TNG and TOS. Then watched Enterprise when it was out and was all :wub: and have started getting into DS9 and Voyager. All of them are awesome and pwn in different ways. Just hope they come out with something new soon and not just another film based prequal to the original series :/

I'm gonna have to pick up a copy of Silent Running as well. A few people have mentioned it now. I'd looked at it in the past, but the reviews weren't brilliant. I think I'll just ignore the general reviews now though and put them down to the age of the film and non scifi fans :p

Javacat said:
I don't think you can go wrong with any series of Star Trek :p I was originally all over TNG and TOS. Then watched Enterprise when it was out and was all :wub: and have started getting into DS9 and Voyager. All of them are awesome and pwn in different ways. Just hope they come out with something new soon and not just another film based prequal to the original series :/
Not to mention the two best things to come out of Star Trek..... Seven of Nine(Voyager) and Tepal(Enterprise)!!!

I still think Robocop is the best scifi film of all time. It's perfect and it does not need to be remade, it works fine even now.

craigix said:
I still think Robocop is the best scifi film of all time. It's perfect and it does not need to be remade, it works fine even now.

I totally agree. I loved Robocop from the first moment I saw it previewed by Barry Norman on Film '87. I saw it on the opening day at the cinema (I was under-age (16) I might add!) and was the first to rent it in my town on VHS the day it was released (I was waiting for the video-shop to open). I bought an ex-rental copy of the video two weeks later. And I've watched it many, many times over the years. The same can't be said of the sequels (which got worse as the number increased) however or the dreadful tv series - the animated or live action ones. :(

BTW I did a remake of the Robocop arcade game many years ago - only finished one full level though. Loved that game.

craigix said:
The Bad news is: they really plan to do a remake. :ph34r:

Interesting Robocop Fact: Part One, german FSK 16 Version 10 Minutes cut compared to the R-Rated Version. XD
Robocop 2: over 29 (!!!) minutes cut on the FSK 16 Version compared to the german SPIO/JK Version...ouch
http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=4756751

I also like Part 2 but I've never seen it uncut. Damn.

Back