General Gp2x Question...

Ripster

Website
Visit site
Ok... I have looked but could not find anything on the subject.

By the way... I am still waiting... on my GP2x... the new eta date is June 4.

Anyway my question... I was surfing trying to learn as much as possible about this new device I have ordered... and noticed that the predecessor the GP32 had a glass screen that was available for it. Since I have obviously never had the chance to disassemble a GP2x is this something that might become available? I would much rather have a glass screen than use a screen protector.

And since I am asking questions... here is another. I have notice that several roms have set numbers... does this mean I need all the sets to make them work...??? It all seems a little confusing since a lot of the sets are rather small and why wouldn't they just incorporate them into one package if you needed all of them?

Again thanks for any responses.

1. The GP2X has a thick plastic protector already mounted over the screen, so the idea of a supplementary screen protector isn't very practical.

2. I assume you mean NeoGeo or CPS2 roms. Well, for the larger games you must use a program provided with each emulator to extract certain data (usually graphics) from the roms, because they are so large. After yo have extracted that data from the large roms, you can use the smaller ones to save space on the SD.

Alex. said:
1. The GP2X has a thick plastic protector already mounted over the screen, so the idea of a supplementary screen protector isn't very practical.

2. I assume you mean NeoGeo or CPS2 roms. Well, for the larger games you must use a program provided with each emulator to extract certain data (usually graphics) from the roms, because they are so large. After yo have extracted that data from the large roms, you can use the smaller ones to save space on the SD.
1. also you can replace(CLICK) it without much difficulty if it gets really scratched up..

2 my dumpgfx guide (again with the clickables!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for responding... but actually I was speaking about MAME roms... that are very small. I will see them as something set 1 etc...sometimes less than 50kb. I was not sure if these are different versions... or not, it just seemed strange not to batch them all as one zip file.

As for the plastic screen... like I said I saw that there is one available for the GP32 and was wondering if the same would be available for the GP2x. Having a glass screen would allow it to take a lot more abuse (not that I abuse my stuff). But I will take the answer to be a "NO". Like I mentioned... I am still waiting on mine, (rather impatiently).

Ripster said:
Thanks for responding... but actually I was speaking about MAME roms... that are very small. I will see them as something set 1 etc...sometimes less than 50kb. I was not sure if these are different versions... or not, it just seemed strange not to batch them all as one zip file.

As for the plastic screen... like I said I saw that there is one available for the GP32 and was wondering if the same would be available for the GP2x. Having a glass screen would allow it to take a lot more abuse (not that I abuse my stuff). But I will take the answer to be a "NO". Like I mentioned... I am still waiting on mine, (rather impatiently).
Well I have one MAME romset and I don't need to have all of them... I can just pick some and the ones that are in there will show up in the MAME emu.

Ripster said:
but actually I was speaking about MAME roms... that are very small. I will see them as something set 1 etc...sometimes less than 50kb. I was not sure if these are different versions... or not, it just seemed strange not to batch them all as one zip file.
There were often many versions of an arcade game released and that's why there are different 'set' numbers or variations of the same name, e.g. Euro version of game, Japanese version, bug fix versions, hacked versions.

Why are some very small? They get the majority of their data from one of the other files (the parent rom set).

Why are all sets not combined in the same zip file?
1. It is easier to see which versions of a game you have in your rom collection.
2. If a new version of a game is released, there is no need to distribute a zip containing all the parent and clone files. The file is much smaller.
3. If a new version of a game is released, it is easier to update your rom set.

Back