Gemrb Vs. N64

What would you like to see on which project Adventus work?

• GemRB

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • N64

Votes: 53 37.6%
  • Whatever he wants

Votes: 72 51.1%

• Total voters

I dont have the full games, so the next best thing was the demo, which starts but doesnt get past the character creation. I said it probably works fine with the full version as that is what gemrb is designed for.

Pickle said:
I dont have the full games, so the next best thing was the demo, which starts but doesnt get past the character creation. I said it probably works fine with the full version as that is what gemrb is designed for.
Do you want a full copy? I bought BG2 years back, then a couple of years ago I got the box set, leaving me with 2 copies of BG2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching videos of BG2 on youtube gets me excited. It was the best non-Japanese style RPG I ever played. It seemed like it was a lot longer than any other RPG I ever played also. I wish they'd make a new one, maybe Gemrb can be used to make a new game? I would wish that Blackisle would release the source but Gemrb is so far along it's kinda pointless at this point.

Another related game I wish that we had the source for or a game interpreter is Neverwinter Nights. Not 1/10 as fun but was pretty fun, I think the main thing keeping it back was the bugs though. I don't think it was popular enough for anyone to make a game interpreter for it though, too bad.

Anyway, yeah, N64 I think is top priority but I'll be excited when Gemrb runs on the Pandora.

Neverwinter Nights was popular but it didn't have the cult following that BG did. Talking to fans of D&D RPGs everyone judged NN against BG so if you played the BG games NN was a far second, or third if you played both BG and BG2. When you find someone that likes NN you tell them to play BG even if the graphics are really dated and they come back saying that they also thought BG was a much better game.

I didn't like NN as much because of the bugs and the characters were really static. I think too much time was spent on making it look cool rather than the story line.

Gemrb isn't perfect but it does a good job of getting you a BG fix in Linux.

second exodous said:
Neverwinter Nights was popular but it didn't have the cult following that BG did. Talking to fans of D&D RPGs everyone judged NN against BG so if you played the BG games NN was a far second, or third if you played both BG and BG2. When you find someone that likes NN you tell them to play BG even if the graphics are really dated and they come back saying that they also thought BG was a much better game.

I didn't like NN as much because of the bugs and the characters were really static. I think too much time was spent on making it look cool rather than the story line.

Then you didn't play NWN recently. Seriously - there are still lots of us who play it actively. Online as a slightly less than massive MORPG.

The original NWN story line was - well, pretty flat by comparison to BG or BGII on it's own. The addition of SOU, HOTU AND CEP and PRC and the ability for people to make and host their own worlds - THAT is what makes NWN far far superior to BG or BGII. Infinite content. Live multiplayer. Persistent worlds.

If only there WERE an engine to run it, the Pandora would be -perfect- for it.

Grench said:
second exodous said:

Then you didn't play NWN recently. Seriously - there are still lots of us who play it actively. Online as a slightly less than massive MORPG.

The original NWN story line was - well, pretty flat by comparison to BG or BGII on it's own. The addition of SOU, HOTU AND CEP and PRC and the ability for people to make and host their own worlds - THAT is what makes NWN far far superior to BG or BGII. Infinite content. Live multiplayer. Persistent worlds.

I got the Diamond set recently and started to play the first and it almost killed me. I think I should skip it and go to Shadows of Undertide, is that one better? Way back when Hordes of the Underdark was new I tried playing that and I just felt like I was dropped in the middle of no where and told to play. They needed a better intro to that one, like maybe a few small quests building up to the main story. All 4 come in the Diamond set though.

I would play it more if it was on a handheld, thats a no brainer. I can't sit in front of a computer screen like I used to anymore. It's my ADD I tell you, I have to get up and walk around between posts and websites.

I find it stupid that engines like the NWN engine doesn't go open source. Is it ever going to be used again? I don't think so. id still sells copies of Quake 1&2 even though they are open source because you need the art to play the original game, NWN could be the same, release the source but not the art.

second exodous said:
Grench said:
second exodous said:

I got the Diamond set recently and started to play the first and it almost killed me. I think I should skip it and go to Shadows of Undertide, is that one better? Way back when Hordes of the Underdark was new I tried playing that and I just felt like I was dropped in the middle of no where and told to play. They needed a better intro to that one, like maybe a few small quests building up to the main story. All 4 come in the Diamond set though.

I would play it more if it was on a handheld, thats a no brainer. I can't sit in front of a computer screen like I used to anymore. It's my ADD I tell you, I have to get up and walk around between posts and websites.

I find it stupid that engines like the NWN engine doesn't go open source. Is it ever going to be used again? I don't think so. id still sells copies of Quake 1&2 even though they are open source because you need the art to play the original game, NWN could be the same, release the source but not the art.

Actually, I'd suggest skipping the included games entirely. Go to multiplayer and find a server to play on. I still play on Aventia mostly - one server vault, 4 servers. Unfortunately it doesn't get the crowds it used to. There are several other places where you can go though that have 40+ people per server * 4+ servers. The NWN community is very much an open source community with post-Bioware expansions and modifications still being made.

I -wish- they would Open Source the engine - but so far that isn't in the cards. There is a Linux binary though - so I play it under Ubuntu as a native Linux game. Setting this up takes some tenacity - there are some pretty good set up guides on the Bioware NWN community forums.

The single player mode is fine for a once through, but can really be skipped if you want to see what the real fun is about.

I agree. The main appeal of NWN is its brilliant DMing tools. It was way ahead of its time in terms of customizability.

Thanks puppydee for the PSX BG1 version info by the way!

I think it would be simply amazing to play these games on a handheld. As an above poster said, I cant stare at a computer llike I used to either,,,buta hand held? awsome!

zazen666 said:
As an above poster said, I cant stare at a computer llike I used to either,,,buta hand held? awsome!
Thats how I feel, I can move around with a handheld. I have my DS and I can go to the couch, then to my bed, then to the chair. Even with a notebook it's a hassle to move around.

Hi all,

Reading this post is the first time i've heard of Gemrb. And first off, I agree. We are lucky to have a developer talented enough to work on these two projects, so far be it from me to tell this person what do it..

BUT.. my .02

A full speed port of BG,BG2,and icewinddale games would cement Pandora as the premier handheld emulator.

For those who don't know. BG and BG2 are the gold standard for pc rpg's and devs today still try and attain what those games did (dragon age anyone?)

I reiterate, what a huge notch in pandora's belt to get these games running on it.
Forget n64, everyone and their mother's got that.. But to get the infinity engine games on pandora.. OMG... OMG...OMG...die

-Mike

Back