Update Gemrb 0.8.5

canseco

Very Active Member
Gemrb 0.8.5

GemRB is created by the GemRB team, see www.gemrb.org. GemRB (Game engine made with pre-Rendered Background) is a portable open-source implementation of Bioware's Infinity Engine. It was written to support pseudo-3D role playing games based on the Dungeons/Dragons ruleset (Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series, Planescape: Torment).

preview.png

Changelog

- Latest stable release.
- Fixed cursor desynchronized on touchscreen, after using nubs.
- Latest stable release.
- Updated libs and sources.
- Latest stable release. See GemRB 084 Info on Documentation menu.
- Fixed PXML and updated sources.
- Latest stable release.
- New depedency: Install WXPython PND on menu or app folder.
- Fixed start.sh init script. My mistake...

Homepage:
http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start
Repo:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=gemrb-31292

Last edited:
that's pretty nice. I've just a question through, what is this, is it an update to the last git version pushed by ptitSeb? oe is it a different branch?

can I just replace the PND and it will work?

Been playing Planescape Torment (using a widescreen mod for the game screen, doesn't affect menus) on this and it's working well for the most part, but I've noticed a couple of control-related issues:

• Playing the game with the touch screen works well, but if you switch to the analog nubs at any point, the touch screen and cursor become desynchronized. (Not an issue on the other Gemrb on the repo, the "0.8.0-git" one)
  • Usually using the d-pad lets you scroll around the map, which I find pretty useful, but using the keyboard at any point disables the d-pad. ("0.8.0-git" has the same issue)

Couple of other small things which may not be fixable due to the nature of them:

• Holding L and tapping the touch screen usually activates a right-click, but it doesn't here.
  • Sometimes after saving and going back into the game, the bottom status bar area is either corrupted or just outright missing. If it's corrupted it can usually be fixed and called back, but when it vanishes it's just gone. It's not too common though, and more than likely just Planescape's wonky development rather than anything fixable.
Any chance the first two could be easily fixed at least?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful : as far as I know, Planescape Torment is not finishable with the current state of GemRB.

Playing the game with the touch screen works well, but if you switch to the analog nubs at any point, the touch screen and cursor become desynchronized. (Not an issue on the other Gemrb on the repo, the "0.8.0-git" one)
Fixed, will upload ASAP.

Usually using the d-pad lets you scroll around the map, which I find pretty useful, but using the keyboard at any point disables the d-pad. ("0.8.0-git" has the same issue)
Sometimes after saving and going back into the game, the bottom status bar area is either corrupted or just outright missing. If it's corrupted it can usually be fixed and called back, but when it vanishes it's just gone. It's not too common though, and more than likely just Planescape's wonky development rather than anything fixable.
It seems both are related to lack of complete support on GemRB engine, as ElPoco said.

More info here: http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=pst_bugs

Holding L and tapping the touch screen usually activates a right-click, but it doesn't here.
 Need to investigate how to do it on SDL.

Fix release is out:

- Fixed cursor desynchronized on touchscreen, after using nubs.

I've been playing Baldur's Gate 1 for 3 or 4 hours and have encountered several bugs. The worst of them being the one that crashes the game to desktop, and it seems to be persistent in all the versions of gemrb that I've tried (0.6, 0.725, 0726).

It happened twice, the last when finishing the first chapter or tutorial, when the main charecter leaves the castle and the weather changes to rainy. I played that part a second time and didn't happend.

Other bugs are menu related but are not really important.

I discovered Baldur's Gate games 1 or 2 years ago, thanks to Pandora and the GemRB pnd. Since then I've been trying to play them on the Pandora but as much as the people working on this pnd have tried it seems to be difficult to get a proper GemRB ready to play from start to finish without bugs and, the big problem, crashes.

This is a sensible issue and I don't want to be ungrateful or hurt anybody. I appreciate very much the job done by foft and canseco, and anybody working on it.

But would it be possible that other developers/programmers, or whatever the name, help to make Baldur's Gate fully playeble?

It's amaizing that games like Jagged Alliance 2, Diablo or StarCraft run 100% perfect on the Pandora. Who would have imagined this...

I don't have any idea of programming but if games like Diablo or starcraft run so well, is it not possible for Baldur's Gate?

It is only an idea. Some years ago it was possible to more or less play Diablo only trough quemu, with the added dificulty of installing quemu on the Pandora...

Today Diablo runs perfect with only the "copy-paste" of a pnd in the menu folder.

Wouldn't it be possible for Baldur's Gate?

It is only a question, from respect for all.

I got trouble installing PST at first, but it was because the USB key I used to transfer the files from my PC to the Pandora wasn't working well and corrupted the files.

Once I had correct files, it seemed to work fine. 

I haven't played too much because PST support of GemRB is still incomplete, but the BG games should be working fine.

GemRB is still in development and there are many bugs still. Why do you create a new topic for this though ?

Today Diablo runs perfect with only the "copy-paste" of a pnd in the menu folder.
Diablo is not a recreation of the engine, it is a static recompilation of the actual game (without the data files). It does not work at all in the same way.

GemRB is still in development and there are many bugs still. Why do you create a new topic for this though ?

Diablo is not a recreation of the engine, it is a static recompilation of the actual game (without the data files). It does not work at all in the same way.
Maybe I should have posted it in the gmrb topic.

Is it possible to make a static recompilation of Baldur's Gate?

Is it possible to make a static recompilation of Baldur's Gate?
most likely yes, does anyone with enough skills to do so want to that is the question.
It's a bit of work to disassemble the game into assembly, then to convert it into C code that is humanly readable and portable. Notaz said it took him 4-5 months to dynamically recompile Starcraft and I figure Diablo was about the same amount of work for him. This is the type of work that can only be done by a few very skilled individuals and it most likely hard to get them to want to do this for a game that has a fairly decent open-source engine.

Thank you.

I'll wait untill the engine works better (or will play it on pc...)

Changelog

- Last stable release.

Thank you for your work on this, and sorry for being so tiresome :)
Your are welcome, but don't open a new topic everytime you have a problem, try to search first, ;)

Changelog

- Latest stable release. See GemRB 084 Info on Documentation menu.
- Fixed PXML and updated sources.

It seems PST can be finished, let me know if it works for you, ;)

Last edited:
Back