Gbax 2007 Gp2x, Gp32, Ds And Psp Coding Competition

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
Welcome to GBAX2007, the biggest handheld coding competition on earth, joint run by http://www.gp2x.co.uk and http://www.emuholic.com/. This is our 5th year and we hope it will be the biggest ever! During the last 5 years we have given away thousands of dollars in prizes, have had over 200 entries submitted, some of which went on to become commercial games, others to be developed into excellent free software.

Prizes are:
1st place - A next-gen handheld of your choice (GP2X, PSP or DS) + $250 + accessories
2nd place - A next-gen handheld of your choice (GP2X, PSP or DS) + $100 + accessories
3rd place - A next-gen handheld of your choice (GP2X, PSP or DS) + accessories

And of course you all get tens of thousands of people trying your software, including people from the industry, magazines, online websites and more. If you are looking for a job in the games industry this is the place to show your work. Whether you are planning to enter or are just browsing we are sure you will enjoy the competition and testing out the entries in July.

Expect the weird, the original and the best. GBAX2007: May 7th - July 7th.

Full details can be found at http://www.gbax.com/2007/. Please help promote the competition by Digging the news.

Thanks for hosting this guys, there's bound to be a lot of great software coming out of it.

Just one question, is private beta testing of entries allowed?

Mmmh... a contest that involves more than two days of work and an actually good game idea to begin with? Sounds too hard, I surrender!

Guyfawkes said:
Private beta testing is fine.
fuck_yeah_200_225_PR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great... I think I will keep Blocked from release till the compo... tho I have to ask Ruckage & Saehn, cause I got some graphic sets from them... good thing I can submit more than one game :) Still got one or two to finish.

I think it would have been a good idea to let the competition end after the summer vacations so that even busier developers would have had time to code something.

I'm interested in partecipating but I don't know if I can make it for july 7.

Quiest said:
This is great... I think I will keep Blocked from release till the compo... tho I have to ask Ruckage & Saehn, cause I got some graphic sets from them... good thing I can submit more than one game :) Still got one or two to finish.
Oh well, no more releases until July

Parkydr said:
Oh well, no more releases until July
You might be right. My 2 games I announced will be on hold until I have an entry for GBAX complete. Looking forward to this :).

There's no plans to change the end date of competition, someone will always want a different date to what we set it at. i.e. I am away on holiday, can you make it two weeks longer etc. :) gp2x coders may have had an extra few weeks as we announced the compo when asking for the splash screens last month.

Being away on holiday would not be a problem. The problem is some of us are still bogged down with coursework, and will be for another 2 weeks-ish. The entire summer holiday would've have been nice is all I'm saying. Obviously I know the rules are now set and I'm not expecting the competition duration to change, I just hope that the next compo takes consideration of 3rd Yr Games Technology students ;) lol

A 3rd year student bogged down with course work still has loads more spare time than someone with a job and a family. Just be grateful you've got any coding time at all because in a few years you'll have none :(.

cor. I got a baby arriving in a couple of weeks and work right now is approaching 16hrs a day.... my engine is going very well, nearly done,just weaving an intricate story and populating an entire world in 2 months.. mmm...

Fishguts I is coming... probably a long time after the compo ends and the baby is sleeping through the night.. lol... :)

good luck all whom dare to enter the competition! :)

PokeParadox said:
Being away on holiday would not be a problem. The problem is some of us are still bogged down with coursework, and will be for another 2 weeks-ish. The entire summer holiday would've have been nice is all I'm saying. Obviously I know the rules are now set and I'm not expecting the competition duration to change, I just hope that the next compo takes consideration of 3rd Yr Games Technology students ;) lol
Just wait until you leave school/college/uni and end up spending 37 hours a day coding as port of your day job, then you'll only have weekends, and the gf will want you to spend those with her, and general typical gardening shite/maintence/etc :)

woogal said:
A 3rd year student bogged down with course work still has loads more spare time than someone with a job and a family. Just be grateful you've got any coding time at all because in a few years you'll have none :(.
Well said. Once you reach the world of work spare time is certainly a rare commodity. As it is, this way is probably fairer as us workers won't be getting a 6 week summer vacation to work on a game.

ruckage said:
woogal said:
Well said. Once you reach the world of work spare time is certainly a rare commodity. As it is, this way is probably fairer as us workers won't be getting a 6 week summer vacation to work on a game.

I second that.

Time is certainly something that defies the laws of nature and physics... there are 168 hours in the week. Work seems to take up about 60 of that leaving 108. Having a wife take up about 28 of that leaving 80... buying a house take s up another 20... carry the two... having a kid takes up about 320... hmmm.. gone negative but still it all gets done. Honestly... do any of us sleep?

After programming for 60 hrs a week, I find it very hard to do recreational programming on the weekends. I just finished my home theater that I've been spending my weekends on... so if I'm not watching movies maybe I'll have time to code.

Reap

Back