Gba! (it's Here! Yay!)

So apparently, Notaz ported gpSP for the wiz. A HUGE thanks go to Notaz (for porting) and Exophase (for coding it in the first place). Thanks a million guys!

The Wiz just got 10 times better.

I wanted to know two quick things though. First off, I heard Exophase has no interest in continuing support for gpSP on the wiz, at least not as of now. So I wanted to know:

1. Does anyone else intend to continue in his stead?

The other thing I was wondering, is more of a suggestion to Notaz/Exophase/whoever-else-is-interest-in-a-GBA-emulator-for-wiz:

2. Is it possible to implement a faster scrolling option in the emulator, such as a page-up/page-down, when scrolling the roms (this may already be in it, but I couldn't figure it out). And also, is it possible to implement support for gameboy & gameboy color roms as well? (I don't know how difficult that would be, so pardon me if I'm asking a lot)

P.S. I am aware of goomba, where one can convert a batch load of gb&gbc games into a gba game file, but I'm not really interested in that because of the issues with savestates. (Plus, if I recall correctly, gbc games were taken out of the latest builds of goomba, due to some issues).

Thanks for any information guys. And once again, thank you thank you thank you to Notaz and Exophase.

Cheers,

Jason

Not tried gpSP myself, But i know picodrive (one of notaz`s other babies) employs a left or right movement of the joystick/pad while in the file/rom list to scroll half a page at a time. Not sure if gpSP employs the same technique.

Trooper

The Readme in the gba package says the GB/gbc issue its hardware and it cant be added ull have to wait for seprate emulator

employs a left or right movement of the joystick/pad while in the file/rom list to scroll half a page at a time. Not sure if gpSP employs the same technique.

Trooper
Yeah, thanks trooper. I tried that also. It's a no-go.

The Readme in the gba package says the GB/gbc issue its hardware and it cant be added ull have to wait for seprate emulator
Ah, I didn't see that. Thanks for that mate. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the L/R triggers work for scrolling the menu? They do in the PSP version, I don't remember if that's the case for the GP2X version.

Do the L/R triggers work for scrolling the menu? They do in the PSP version, I don't remember if that's the case for the GP2X version.
No, I tried those as well. It appears they don't in this version unfortunately. If you ever decide to update this, I would be eternally grateful if you included an L/R scroll feature. As of right now it's a real pain scrolling down to play Zone of the Enders, lol.

Again though, thanks for all the great work on the emulator Exophase. It's damn impressive. :)

No, I tried those as well. It appears they don't in this version unfortunately. If you ever decide to update this, I would be eternally grateful if you included an L/R scroll feature. As of right now it's a real pain scrolling down to play Zone of the Enders, lol.
Again though, thanks for all the great work on the emulator Exophase. It's damn impressive. :)

Making the list wrap would help too, just press UP on the first file and it will go to the last Z and continue up.

Again though, thanks for all the great work on the emulator Exophase. It's damn impressive. :-"]

Making the list wrap would help too, just press UP on the first file and it will go to the last Z and continue up.[/quote]This would work as well, but then we would have to suffer through long scrolling when navigating to the "M"s. In that case, any game beginning with "M" or "N" would take a while.

And since exophase has implemented L/R scrolling in the PSP version of gpSP (and also in the wiz version of Temper), it shouldn't be too difficult to implement it in this version. (At least I don't think so, though I could be WAY off, as I have very little understanding of how to code).

Also, Exophase: In case you're interested/curious about bugs or problems with the emulator, it appears to fail when attempting to load any rom that is over 16 MB. Riviera, Yggdra Union, and Kingdom Hearts all fail to load. Though interestingly enough, Gleam (the homebrew version of Lumines) appears to run fine, despite the fact that it is about 29 MB.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Also, Exophase: In case you're interested/curious about bugs or problems with the emulator, it appears to fail when attempting to load any rom that is over 16 MB. Riviera, Yggdra Union, and Kingdom Hearts all fail to load. Though interestingly enough, Gleam (the homebrew version of Lumines"] appears to run fine, despite the fact that it is about 29 MB.
Are the 32MB ROMs zipped? Those won't work. Otherwise, do they fail outright? Something could be broken with the way large ROMs are handled, since they're not loaded into memory entirely at once.[/quote]I can't verify for all three of those, except for Kingdom Hearts. For KH I attempted to load it both unzipped & zipped. Neither worked, it went to a black screen (as all games do when they are about to load) and then it appears to simply freeze. Pressing the menu button does nothing and the only option at that point is to turn the Wiz off.

As for both Riviera and Yggdra Union, I only attempted to load each of those once. Both of those roms were zipped and both behaved the same was as Kingdom Hearts.

To clarify, none of the games appeared to successfully load, as I never was able to view any intro screens.

Hope that helps.

Edit:

I have since checked both Riviera and Yggdra Union (as unzipped roms) and neither loads either.

I've decided doing portrait modes (tearing fix), so I can do ROM scrolling too. I'll check what's happening with those large ROMs (sounds like emu is crashing).

It's worked brilliantly with all of the ROMs I've tried so far. It struggles with the same game that the GBA struggles with too - notably first person shooters like Serious Sam or Duke Nukem, but as these are all largely made on the same engine that's no surprise. Anything that was easy for the GBA runs nearly flawlessly on this emulator. Good job!

Yeah, thanks again Notaz. This emulator is near perfect. If those things can be fixed/added, i'll be stoked. Thanks so much for your work!

Off topic: Does anyone know if there are plans from someone to create a gameboy/gameboy color emulator? I froth at the mouth at the idea of adding all my gbc favs to the Wiz. :D

does the gba emulator on the wiz employ any filtering techniques to get around the rather ugly blockiness you get when playing the gba emu on the dingoo?

Here is example of the scaler's output:
gba_scaled.png

Back