Gba Emulator

Jackreyes

Still Fresh
Hi,
I've seen Exophase's gpSP but is it definitely going to be ported?
If not, are there any other projects, because when I get my Pandora, I'll definitely want to play some GBA games.

Thanks
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Visual Boy Advance (VBA) is another open source GBA emulator that could be ported. I am unsure if the Pandora would have enough horsepower to run it well though.

'pder' said:
Visual Boy Advance (VBA) is another open source GBA emulator that could be ported. I am unsure if the Pandora would have enough horsepower to run it well though.

Not a chance.

Seeing what Exophase accomplished on my PSP...I can't wait to see what he does on Pandora...I feel extremely lucky he is even interested in the Pandora...his work is greatly appreciated. I will wait for his release on respect alone. Exophase and ZX-81 gave so much to my PSP experience I am truly grateful.

VBA is really slow, I tried that on my Aspire One (1.6GHz atom) and it is unusable.

Mednafen is a bit better, still a little slow at times, but at least it is playable. It does GBA at 10-20 fps on the atom, so I'm guessing it would probably run about 5-10 fps on the pandora.

'Squidge' said:
'pder' said:

Not a chance.
Yea, I remember the port to GP2X, it was incredibly slow. What is it that makes the code so slow? Inefficient algorithms? Extra features? Accuracy? Inaccuracy?

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
'Squidge' said:
'pder' said:

Not a chance.
Yea, I remember the port to GP2X, it was incredibly slow. What is it that makes the code so slow? Inefficient algorithms? Extra features? Accuracy? Inaccuracy?

-God Ginrai

Lack of awesomeness :B

'Squidge' said:
'pder' said:

Not a chance.
You would certainly know better than I, but the reason I thought it might be feasible is from seeing an optimized port of VBA running nearly fullspeed on a GameCube.

'Squidge' said:
'pder' said:

Not a chance.
By "Not a chance" are you referring to the Pandoras capability or the lack of an OS emulator?

I have a SmartQ T5II that runs most GBA games fine, the Pandora should be way more powerful.

'Nation.A.List' said:
'Squidge' said:
'pder' said:

Not a chance.
By "Not a chance" are you referring to the Pandoras capability or the lack of an OS emulator?

I have a SmartQ T5II that runs most GBA games fine, the Pandora should be way more powerful.

But you know nothing about the emulator being used. Squidge is referring to using VBA in particular.

I think VBA would probably run alright-ish, but would demand frameskip a lot of the time (if not all of the time).

'Username' said:
Why is VBA so inefficient? That's the one I have always used.
It takes a lot of work to write a highly optimized emulator. VBA usually runs fine on PC hardware so the developers probably preferred to focus on writing a solid, highly compatible emulator without concern of high performance demands bogging them down. Or they didn't think of some of the techniques to make it faster.

'Username' said:
Why is VBA so inefficient? That's the one I have always used.
According to the Wikipedia, their latest release was nearly 5 years ago.
Good news, though, there was a beta 4 years ago.

It's probably just a regular interpreter emulator. It's effective, and most computer have the strength to do it without much trouble, but it's hardly efficient.

Maybe one with a dynamic recompiler will work better, as these are supposed to be several times faster.

Back