Gba Emu

Status
Not open for further replies.
he said about something next month... this isnt april...
also he seems to know what he is talking about..
and since this is possible and we talked about e method like this on gp32x before... but until now, no one tried it.. he seems to be the first..
and i wish him all the best for this awesome and hard project!

It isn't a joke and its been spoken about for over a year now, its very possible.

Should be plenty of spare Mhz to emulate the GFX hardware, looking forward to seeing how this goes, I hope its open source.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Fair play, if the guy is for real and it works out ok then ultimate respect, kudos and worship. (Does that mean that pinned thread somewhere on GBA emulation can be taken down?)

My only concern is: Sure he might know what he's talking about theoretically but just how good a coder is he? If he jumps in and finds it too difficult will he give up or keep trying and will the programing be well done?

Sponge BoB posted on Feb 26 2004 at 07:27 PM said:
squidge, u still working on a port of BOR, if so any news?

I have this game for the dreamcast, it would be great on the gp
Well, it works very slowly indeed, no sound, no controls, corrupt graphics (you can just about make out most of it), and about 1fps. eeek. Need to spend more time on it, but just don't have it at the moment.

I don't like the way it has been coded personally - lots of nasties in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mosch posted on Feb 26 2004 at 11:44 AM said:
Now the whole GBA emulation thingy: I would really like GBA-emulation. I admit it: I already have a GBA. But having and emulated one will never be like having the real thing, which I can hook up to my Gamecube and use to play with my friends. I really only want emulation so I can fit more games on smaller space ;) I will and would still buy games for my GBA if they are good.... I just have too high a moral *sniff* ;)
That and the GP32 will be like the big-screen TV of the GBAs

next month eh? I guess we'll see then... (It'd be nice to get some teaser videos or such so we get an idea of it...)

I have to say Nintendo was very smart with the GBA, in creating the connectivity it makes emmulation difficult for people to get everything out of a game that was built into it.(unless you buy one of those flash carts but I'm thinking more about people who plan to play them on computer monitors and stuff.) For instance, you can get Metroid zero mission a day after it's domestic release but unless you connect it to the GameCube you wont get certain things (Probably in the GBA game itself since they've said there wont be exactly the same connectivty with Prime 2) Bottom line is that you'd need a GBA even if you used a flash cart.

What about us people who have only a GBA SP but no GCube. It makes me mad to see those things. Bunch of greedy fools make you buy other expensive products just to unlock some stupid secrets.... And Metroid is one of the few games that I actually praise Nintendo for as far as games go. Ever since I got a GB back in the day and got a copy of Metroid II, I've been into the series. I never bought a Nintendo console and hopefully never will. Sigh... Sorry, going into a rant here....

I'm still not big on this emulation thing. Though I like the approach he's taking (from a programmer's POV) toward developing this emu. Seems like everything's getting hypocritical here.

P.S. Squidge: Keep working on that BOR port, it would be nice to see. There's a CastleVania mod coming out that will be great to see on the GP32 as well.

If the GBA is not actually emulated but instead living on the gp32 hardware and thus runs at full speed. We would be able to take advantage of some of the emulators for the GBA as well, such as pocketsnes and the PCE emulator. This is only in theory though, GBA is a _long_ way from being full speed on the GP32.

you want to run an emulator inside an emulator? :lol: Okay granted it's not exactly the same but I some how I doubt there'd be enough room inside the GP32 after getting it to pretend to be GBA hardware to get it to pretend to be a GBA intended Emulator.... but even if there is Opensnes still looks a lot better then pocketsnes in my opinion.

If this is true, and possible (Hopefuly, but doubtful) It'd be hilarious to see GBA fans sobbing over how people can play their games free on a bigger screen. ;)

Alpha2 posted on Feb 27 2004 at 07:26 AM said:
you want to run an emulator inside an emulator? :lol: Okay granted it's not exactly the same but I some how I doubt there'd be enough room inside the GP32 after getting it to pretend to be GBA hardware to get it to pretend to be a GBA intended Emulator.... but even if there is Opensnes still looks a lot better then pocketsnes in my opinion.
I've managed to run a speccy emu on castaway :)

And to be honest, it isn't really an emulator if it works. Also I don't think emu's on the GBA use the hardware graphics features, because the originals didn't (could be wrong though), so they should run ok, but why would you want to? slower, less resolution, taking up less of the GP's big beautiful screen. When the emu's we have are much better.

Twimfy posted on Feb 27 2004 at 12:50 PM said:
Makes you wonder what Nintendo might have to say about this if they catch word.
they sure wont say anthing, nintendo is lazy.
also, the gp32 officially only exists in korea and not many ppl have it.
and they know it never will be playable speed (gba on gp32).

i personally own a flashcart, with many other ppl too, it might be that there are more flashcarts selled all over the world than gp32s.
its great, if u want perfect gba emulation, get one. well, if you have the money :)

Running an emulator within and emulator is known as cross emulation and can be handy if you want to emulate something not yet supported by your platform. Not sure we'd get much use out of it on the GP32 but the option is there. :)
Was there ever a PC emulator for the Arari ST? ;)

If this does work, and is somehow playable...I think GBAX and other sites will be having a nice request for ram additions ;)

BaDToaD posted on Feb 27 2004 at 02:01 PM said:
Running an emulator within and emulator is known as cross emulation and can be handy if you want to emulate something not yet supported by your platform. Not sure we'd get much use out of it on the GP32 but the option is there. :)
Was there ever a PC emulator for the Arari ST? ;)
Yeah, if you go to little green desktop, they list about five.
the best cross emulation iv'e managed (because I was bored you understand, no real purpose) was PC>AMIGA>MAC>ST>spectrum. Which was all fun. I think it only worked so well because the Amiga and speccy were the only emulated machines. The MAC and ST had the same CPU as the miggy (and very little other complicated hardware) so ran without emulated CPU. speccy ran ok in case you were wondering ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back