GBA emu

are all you hard assed "elite" gp32 regulars so surprised that people bring up the GBA emulator.... on the site of a handheld that has everybody flag waving as a multi emulator? Then when you buy it and ask a few questions in the forums the flame vampires jump out to sap you of all your lofty asprirations and hopes....

If you're so sick of the same questions then why the hell keep replying to the dumb posts?

If people flock out to but the GP32 just to emulate GBA games, they deserve to be flamed. They should do more research about their purchase before handing over their hard earned cash.

We reply to the posts because the idiots dont stop asking the fucking questions. If they shut the hell up and actually looked ELSEWHERE for the goddamn information, it would save us all a lot of time.

After being a Something Awful forums goon, where you have to pay cash for entry to the forums, it makes me cringe whenever I visit free forums. There is so much bullshit its unbeleivable.

Rigor Mortis posted on Aug 5 2003 said:
You, sir, with all due respect, are an IDIOT.

It's beem discussed before - GBA emulation is not possible on the GP32. Even if an emu that is fast enough could be written, the GP32 does not have enough RAM to run anything except the very smallest GBA games.

No matter what we say, huh? :lol:
With all due respect, all most everything you've just said is wrong, although he is an idiot :). The GP has plenty of RAM, as GBA games are rated in Mb not MB. About 70% of GBA games are are 4MB or below. The rest are generally 8MB, with a few above that. The GP would (with effort, and ASM) be capable of emulating the GBA, even better, you could try running the CPU code direct, and just emulating the other hardware.

And NSS one 'we don't talk about GBA emu's round here' -you mean YOU don't talk about it, don't include the rest of us. I own a GBA, and close to 40 games, and iv'e developed for it, if a GBA emu turns up, not only will it be a work of skill to be applauded, but i'll use it. I'm legaly allowed to use my roms on whatever machine I like so long as only one copy is use at a time. So I want to play it on a bigger screen? with stereo? and not lug two machines around? then I will. The more I can fit in my little box of tricks the more I like it :) Although maybe i'm rare, but I don't think so, I collect differant systems and games, not digital copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very simple actually, the difference is that a GBA cannot be fully emulated currently, and doing so is unlikely. Because there is MUCH more appeal for a handheld that can emulate the GBA compared to one that can emulate the NES or so, this will get a LOT of people over here asking about it, spamming the boards and then, finally, complaining that emulation is nowhere near good enough.

I don't care about the legality of it, I never did for the other consoles I emulate. I DO care about the -extra- bullshit that is going to flood this board if that kind of hype becomes public. I appreciate a GBA emulator from a technical standpoint but unlike the NES or the now defunct Neo Geo Pocket Color, the GBA is both widely-available and portable. There isn't really an excuse for not owning one so you can play games on the road.

Craig's review of the GP32, which many people based their purchasing decisions off of, still has a screen shot of a GP32 emulating Contra (GBA). The GBA emulator is described as "a little slow" and "still private" in the review. If people are buying GP32's based off of that review, no wonder they show up here inquiring about it. The statement "it can actually emulate the GBA" is also near the beginning of the review. So no wonder new owners get confused.

khephren posted on Aug 5 2003 said:
Rigor Mortis posted on Aug 5 2003 said:
You, sir, with all due respect, are an IDIOT.

It's beem discussed before - GBA emulation is not possible on the GP32. Even if an emu that is fast enough could be written, the GP32 does not have enough RAM to run anything except the very smallest GBA games.

No matter what we say, huh?  :lol:
With all due respect, all most everything you've just said is wrong, although he is an idiot :). The GP has plenty of RAM, as GBA games are rated in Mb not MB. About 70% of GBA games are are 4MB or below. The rest are generally 8MB, with a few above that. The GP would (with effort, and ASM) be capable of emulating the GBA, even better, you could try running the CPU code direct, and just emulating the other hardware.

And NSS one 'we don't talk about GBA emu's round here' -you mean YOU don't talk about it, don't include the rest of us. I own a GBA, and close to 40 games, and iv'e developed for it, if a GBA emu turns up, not only will it be a work of skill to be applauded, but i'll use it. I'm legaly allowed to use my roms on whatever machine I like so long as only one copy is use at a time. So I want to play it on a bigger screen? with stereo? and not lug two machines around? then I will. The more I can fit in my little box of tricks the more I like it :) Although maybe i'm rare, but I don't think so, I collect differant systems and games, not digital copies.
I own dozens of GBA ROMS, only one of them is 4 MB, the average for the rest is ~12 MB.

Even so, my post was entirely based on another GBA emu thread, in which the technical details and hurdles were discussed, and the final consensus was exactly what i said in my post. Whatever the case, I think someone should ask Craig to add a disclaimer to his review.

....never mind the fact that if I said 2 things (speed and RAM), it's mathematically impossible for "almost" everything to be wrong....

Doesn't the gameboy have 256kb of RAM? I dont see how the roms can't be read like a GBA reading a game cart. Im just wondering if just porting 1 gba game could be done full speed (most likely can). If that works an emulator could be configured to act just like a GBA, but on a gp32. uhhh i kinda mean why make a emulator program why not make the whole GP32 run the GBA game only
<Kinda like Gpcinema running movies except its Gp32 running GBA games>
if you know what I mean. If not I dont give a shit. I have a GBA and a flash cart and I hate the GBA now. Never played it. When i did use the gba emu on gp32 the colors and graphics were much more vibrant then ever. If someone were to even make an Halfway GBA emu I would pay just like that.

Ok - stop it with the flaming. Yes, I know its a bad idea to buy th GP32 specifically for GBA emulation, but perhaps it'll happen at some stage...

Hando - if you're listening, this might be a way to prevent more of these. Start another forum called "Non-existant questions on GBA emulation".

Whilst no-one searches the forums before posting, a lot may at least look to put the questions in the right place. If they see a forum specifically devoted to GBA emulation, then go in it and see thousands of "Is it possible?" threads, they might think twice before posting any more there...

Rigor Mortis posted on Aug 6 2003 said:
I own dozens of GBA ROMS, only one of them is 4 MB, the average for the rest is ~12 MB.

Even so, my post was entirely based on another GBA emu thread, in which the technical details and hurdles were discussed, and the final consensus was exactly what i said in my post. Whatever the case, I think someone should ask Craig to add a disclaimer to his review.

....never mind the fact that if I said 2 things (speed and RAM), it's mathematically impossible for "almost" everything to be wrong....
Well, I have to disagree- Advancewars, Alienators,Air force delta, Atlantis, Backtrack,bomberman,breath of fire, colin McRae, Eye of the beholder, mario advance,worms, F-zero to name but a few are all 4MB roms. And the fact that a GBA EMU already exists makes your statement 'not possible on the GP32' nonsensical.

It saddens me to see gbax has that kind of info, but Craig needs to sell his GP32s I guess. Regardless, you shouldn't buy £120+ worth of hardware based on one review, and anyone who does barely a few minutes of research will realise GBA emulation is slow and has very low compatibility on the GP.

The review over at GBAX is extremly baised, and much to positive. Sorry Craig, it is and you know it.

A lot of the review is very good, but he'd be best taking the GBA off there, or heavily stressing that it is not freely available (although I know he mentions that further down the page), also the mobile connection/browser is not going to happen- i'm pretty sure he knows this. Best say 'Sega master system' rather than just 'sega' as well. A lot of casual gamers would only want one for GBA/genesis/snes use, only one of those three is available to most of us. I would stress it's fairly technical compared to the GBA as well. You can't blame the guy really, he just loves the system.

gba emulation is closer in sight now that 156mhz has been determined SAFE read craigs overclocking adventure on gp32emu.com

khephren posted on Aug 6 2003 said:
And the fact that a GBA EMU already exists makes your statement 'not possible on the GP32' nonsensical.
The GBA EMU that exists is unplayably slow. Therefore, Emulation is possible, but impractical.

Happy now?

Phil posted on Aug 6 2003 said:
gba emulation is closer in sight now that 156mhz has been determined SAFE read craigs overclocking adventure on gp32emu.com
But the 2fps (I think it is around there) GBA emu runs at 166MhZ (so everyone says)

156mhz might be safe on some GP32's but if you read posts after craigs says the test GP32 is fine there are quite a few people who say that they can't run higher than 133mhz.

Finally, GBA emulation is possible, i want to say, emulation of commercial games, or it's just a dream ?
I've seen in some docs that GP32 is better in all plans that GBA, that's not true ?

I wouldn't say 156MHz is safe. Many GP32s crash instantly at that level, others like kill_me2 have experienced scanlines darkening and other problems. I would be very cautious. OTOH many units run as high as 166MHz with no problems at all.

- Rico

I'm just a n00b and when i was looking over the forum i realized we even don't need a GBA we only need a good snes emulator and a desecent genesis emulator.
Can people with a GBA play chrono triger? Can they play secret of mana What's better the mario kart on the snes or the GBA one? Prefer to play mario on his home (the consule on which mario is born) consule or to play a port? The're plent of games out there for the other systeem that are much beter if the gba's. We don't need advance wars sure it's a good game but we have Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars (for NES and SNES) Super Robot Wars 3 (has an English translation patch), 4, EXand

We got some realy good tennis games and plenty of (text) adventures that are much better if the cracp thats released to day. We've got a superbe scene with more homebrew's than we can play we even have site's that review homebrew games. We've got everything but we still want more more more and more we want the best of the best but soem times you have to argree with what you have and enjoy it instead of posting on forums that you want more and more.

I'happy with the 'old' games and the retro games and i don't need a whole bunch of crapy ports of this 'old' and 'retro' games.

Uh huh, the reason many, if not most of us got out gps is because we are happy with the more retro games. The best gba games seem to be either cut down versions of games that run v. well on the gp, like doom, or just ports of snes games. I still like my gba, its got some excellent games, its just that my gamepark has much more variety and a better selection or try, tested and loved games. </speech>

Back