GBA emu straight and for all

It's only the beginning, the entire VisualBoy Advance code source is being converted to compile for GP32 like any other platform (PPC, Linux, Win32..) ...stay tuned.

Sonic-NKT - 30% w/o sound is a little optimistic for a straight port. Perhaps 5 fps ?

Sonic-NKT - 30% w/o sound is a little optimistic for a straight port. Perhaps 5 fps ?

:ph34r: if thats a straight port thats not bad but with some work couldnt we get maybe 70% speed or above? i dont really care about soubnd it can kiss my behind. but saves yes. It seems possible to me to get 70% with work on a straight port. plus theres frameskip! :ph34r:

In defense of the topic creator, he does have a GBA, so he isn't trying to be cheap.

Him and I were just having a little argument over this.

Looks like I win with no.

i was right too it is possible with no sound tho because of tthe sound chip the gba carries but thats ok. as long as theres atleast 80% speed with save which IS possible with work on virtual boy.

I thought we said a full GBA emu? That means 100%, sound, save, the whole thing.
Where the hell did you get this info from? As far as I can see, the GBA emu existence isn't open to argument; it simply doesn't exist, check any gp32 site. Not to say that a 1 fps canned beta isn't hanging around, or a 5fps partial VBA port. But both of those are private.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was talking about the discussion between me and DC, saying it wasn't possible for a 'full' GBA emulator like that to exist, I wasn't talking about there being one around.

What's the point of having an argument?

The only way you'll know which one of you is right is whether one appears or not.

For all you know, some crazy progammer dude might show up tommorow and code an entire working GBA emu from scratch. ;)
It would require a lot of effort... but before the SNES emus came out, people were saying the same thing about them.

Though in any case, from what I heard it will only work with 4mb games.
(Does anybody know why that is? Don't other systems such as SNES/Genesis have larger games?)

It's limited to 4MB because GP32 only has 8MB RAM and you need room for the emu and other overhead. Usually GBA games are either 4MB (32mbit) or the next step above is 8MB (64mbit) so mostly you'd be limited to loading 4MB games. There aren't any 6MB GBA games, altho some 8MB ones can maybe trimmed down to fit. But all this is a huge assumption because the emu has to be written first and so far all we have is a rumor posted on a news site. Seriously, the Jittle John emu can't do NES full speed and suddenly everyone is believing it'll do GBA full speed... We'll see.

And I think just about every single SNES and Genesis game would fit in GP32 RAM with room left for the emu and overhead, so there's no problem there.

Ah Jeez, I had to bring this up.. Sorry for the OLD topic. But of course its possible!

ASM core, start from scratch, etc. I know NOTHING about programming, but Ive played "bleem!" on DC, and Ive seen N64 on xbox. Cmon guys, this can happen with tallent and patience.

Ah Jeez, I had to bring this up.. Sorry for the OLD topic. But of course its possible!

ASM core, start from scratch, etc. I know NOTHING about programming, but Ive played "bleem!" on DC, and Ive seen N64 on xbox. Cmon guys, this can happen with tallent and patience.
ASM everything more like...

I'll decide whether or not I personally think its possible once I've seen what sort of speed increase the ASM core gives to OpenSnes9x. If it knocks down the required speed to 66MHz with sound and transparencies (which is very very very unlikely, but since I'm fairly sure no other emu actually has an ASM core in it, there's nothing to judge the possibility against) then I think I'll believe GBA emulation is possible - at least, without sound. If SMRPG runs playably, even without sound, I'll believe its possible full stop (since the thing has a chip in it that jacks up the overall CPU speed to ~20MHz - more than a GBA!) but again, that's unlikely.

If I really get a craving for GBA games, I'll probably just buy a GBA though...

You would not need an ASM emulator of the GBA ARM core, we HAVE an ARM core, just run the CPU code direct. Running code meant for a 16MHZ arm 7 on a 133+ arm9 should leave you plenty of cycles for emulating the custom chips. But it would need a whole new emu, not a port. And who has the time for that?

Huh? :blink:

Seems to me that if we can't emulate the SNES with sound, we can't emulate a GBA with sound. By "Us" and "We" of course, I mean "Them" and "They", as in... the few dedicated, experienced coders coders. :)
I can Play SNES With Sound Fine...... well for the games I want to play for now its fast :D

You would not need an ASM emulator of the GBA ARM core, we HAVE an ARM core, just run the CPU code direct. Running code meant for a 16MHZ arm 7 on a 133+ arm9 should leave you plenty of cycles for emulating the custom chips. But it would need a whole new emu, not a port. And who has the time for that?
It doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. This would be more likesomming like virtual pc software on the PC, and you need a processor with a fancy MMU and a protected mode and stuff.

You have to interpret all the ARM insructions to find out if they are doing something which requires software emulation, basically. And lots of other stuff.

Why would you need software emulation for a chip with the same instruction set?
All the MAC emu's on the Amiga run the same speed as a mac with the same chip-because they run the data direct, a 16mhz Amiga= 16mhz MAC. The only slow down you get, is when you have to emulate custom chips as well. It's a proven technique. You don't need to emulate an ARM chip on an ARM. Running a 16mhz GBA code on a 133+ GP32 will leave plenty of cycles for custom chip emulation.

The problem is that the GBA has a different (newer) ARM processor with more processor command - you can't use the processor 1:1

The problem is that the GBA has a different (newer) ARM processor with more processor command - you can't use the processor 1:1
Can I say lol?
ARM 7 (GBA)< ARM920T (GP32)
16MHz < 133MHz maybe 166MHz or more

but the GBA omes with a sound chip a GFX chip.....
The GP32 only have a big CPU

see you ;)

Back