Garden Of Coloured Lights: Portable?

Should be possible.

Builds and runs under Linux

It's 640x480, hard coded - would need resizing or reduced view port.

The worst bit is it uses a custom allegro font in an allegro data - I still have nightmares about the Gravity Force data files :( (but it's not as bad as that).

Parkydr said:
Should be possible.

Builds and runs under Linux

It's 640x480, hard coded - would need resizing or reduced view port.

The worst bit is it uses a custom allegro font in an allegro data - I still have nightmares about the Gravity Force data files :( (but it's not as bad as that).
Sounds to me like you fancy the challenge! ;) ;) ... and we know what a good job you'll do of it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Parkydr... go for it! You are one of my favourite gp2x coders!

I was going to say it looks like rRootage but...

Author's Description: This is my entry to the www.shmup-dev.com Options competition. It's a musical shoot-em-up influenced by rRootage, Radiant Silvergun and Rez.

oooooh rRootage + Rez... that sounds really awesome!

Hey Parkydr, want to be my favorite GP2X Coder too? =)

Parkydr said:
Go on then, I'll get it a go.
Thanks a lot, it seems it'd be an incredible game to play on the GP2X !

Magic Sam

Looks really pretty :)

3541_large.png

Gruntfuggly said:
<pester mode>
Any news? had a chance to try anything yet Parkydr?
</pester mode>
Progress:
  • Splash screen resized
  • Font mainly resized - as this invovles resizing characters individually, I've done A-Z and 0-9 - I'll do others as required
  • Main menu resized
  • Main menu added joystick control - although the main game uses the joystick, the menus don't
  • Resized select ship menu - ship bitmaps are garbled - need to resize the small ship bitmaps.
  • Added joystick control to select ship menu
I'm now in the process of resizing the small ship bit maps.

You can start a game, but only the top left corner of the screen is visible until I resize it.

The ships are held in single bmp files like this:

smallkz0.png

Resizing the ships involves resizing the bitmap to half its width and height (I use the GIMP) - in this case 1800 x 93 -> 900 x 46.

That's the easy bit - I then have to change the code to select the right area of the bitmap to get the particular image, which is time consuming.

One problem is that scaling looses detail, if you want to do something to help, you could resize the bitmaps and tidy them to look more like the original.

The bitmaps are available in the gfx directory in the game download.

In code terms, resizing involves finding all the places using graphics commands and halving the x and y positions and widths and heights.

Parkydr said:
That's the easy bit - I then have to change the code to select the right area of the bitmap to get the particular image, which is time consuming.
Shame the offsets aren't calculated!

One problem is that scaling looses detail, if you want to do something to help, you could resize the bitmaps and tidy them to look more like the original.

The bitmaps are available in the gfx directory in the game download.

I'll download it tonight, and see if I can edit some of them. Hoping to get a new computer in the next few days - then I won't have to keep fighting the missus for out laptop...

Back