Gamers Galaxy Reviews The Gp2x

Gamers Galaxy

Still Fresh
Website
www.gamersgalaxy.net
We recieved our unit and decided to give it a whirl. This comprehensive review should help you decided whether you want to get one or not. Watch out for the special PSP readable E-Magazine version of the review coming very soon.

Enjoy and regards. Review

Gamers Galaxy

Definitely one of the more fair and well written reviews i've seen! :)

I'm also thinking Play Asia might be the way to go. Lik-Sang, while they've had good customer support in the past, kind of left a bad taste in my mouth with the whole "second edition" thing.

Video Codec support: MPEG 1, 2, 3, 4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and higher, XviD, WMV (7, 8, 9 possible future support)
Just a little correction, there is no such thing as MPEG 3. Mp3 stands for MPEG 1/2/2.5 audio layer 3.

donny662 posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
Video Codec support: MPEG 1, 2, 3, 4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and higher, XviD, WMV (7, 8, 9 possible future support)
Just a little correction, there is no such thing as MPEG 3. Mp3 stands for MPEG 1/2/2.5 audio layer 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG3

lol, you fool. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHA well the PSP E-mag is for all the homebrew loving PSP fanatics. It will give the GP2X some exposure to them I hope ;) Our last mag got around 2000 downloads so we'll see what happens.

The review was pretty fair. Them talking about the wonders of custom Li-ion batteries was totally wrong though. Do you want a custom built-in battery that you can ONLY get from GPH or do you want standard ones that can be bought anywhere? I think the latter as if the unit is ever discontinued you can still use it. Because GPH isn't a large worldwide corporation like Sony or Nintendo a custom battery would be much harder to get, no thanks. They are using 1700 MAh NiMH batteries in the review, then harped on bad battery life. Not too fair when 2600 MAh batteries are available at less cost and last the same length on a charge as a replacement battery for the PSP.

The stick thing was fair but too bad they didn't mention my caps, which are now available ata few places that sell the GP2X like EvilDragons store and GP32Z ;)

the review is full off little errors, do your research before writeing a review.

Also the liion vs nimh's have been covered thousends of times, conclusion is that aa's are way better in next to evry aspect.

Good 2500mah batterys last 5h+ (can the mighty li-ion in the psp pull that off?) and there are allready 2700mah ones.

There is no mpeg container support in the official player, just avi and ogm renamed to avi with xvid or divx as video codec and ogg or mp3 for audio.
More codecs are supported with FFplay, but that one is way slower than the official player as it dosnt use the hardware accerlation yet.

boot time is not 20seconds but more towards 30, this can be helped with theottbots cramfs firmware wich reduces the time to about 12 seconds.

Unlike current generation handhelds such as the DS or PSP, the GP2X does not have wireless built in. There currently isn’t a way to play multiplayer or browse the Internet if that is something you are interested in doing with the GP2X. Due to the nature of the handheld focusing on the homebrew community, this is unlikely to change.
Now what kind of unlogic conclusion is that? The homebrew focus is exactly the reason why it WILL change, you can allready connect a usb wifi stick to the gp2x, a port of links/lynx should be straight forward, hell we had that at gp32..

Vimacs posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:43 AM said:
the review is full off little errors at do your research before writeing a review.
Thats rather harsh for what is pretty much an unbiased and informed review.

Also the liion vs nimh's have been covered thousends of times, conclusion is that aa's are way better in next to evry aspect.
I'm not complaining, but I think the trade-offs are pretty even from the discussions i've seen. Moreover, GPH's implementation of nihm's leaves a bit to be desired. My nihm batteries in my bluetooth mouse get charged while plugged into the USB, why can't my GP2X charge its batteries when the AC adapter is plugged in? That's kinda rhetorical, i'm sure there is a logical design decision, but it might be a big deal for some consumers.
Good 2500mah batterys last 5h+ (can the mighty li-ion in the psp pull that off?) and there are allready 2700mah ones.
My 2500s have never gone more than 4 hrs (which is what he states in the review). I haven't heard of the person yet who consistanly gets 5+ hours of pure gaming time on the system, and with Video it just drags down even further. Sure, I bet there are better batteries and chargers out there that can get me to 5 hours, but they don't come standard with the system, and I think if anything he is being generous with the 4+ figure.

boot time is not 20seconds but more towards 30, this can be helped with theottbots cramfs firmware wich reduces the time to about 12 seconds.
for you and me maybe, but it seems like there is a fair bit of variance in the userbase (look at TelcoLou's poll).
Unlike current generation handhelds such as the DS or PSP, the GP2X does not have wireless built in. There currently isn’t a way to play multiplayer or browse the Internet if that is something you are interested in doing with the GP2X. Due to the nature of the handheld focusing on the homebrew community, this is unlikely to change.
Now what kind of unlogic conclusion is that? The homebrew focus is exactly the reason why it WILL change, you can allready connect a usb wifi stick to the gp2x, a port of links/lynx should be straight forward, hell we had that at gp32..
I think he probably meant that the focus right now is on oldschool gaming. Most devs are focused on the games, and only a handful are really trying to push the wireless thing right now. I'm sure once a means to go wireless is there, the focus will change.
Since the GP2X is a niche product, no one is paying big liscensing bucks to get SDIO wireless, and the hardware work being done to get wireless through the EXT is great, but it will be hard to mass produce cheaply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back