Gamepark Reveals Its Xgp Running 3d Movie Clips

I also think the XGP has little hope in terms of gaming. However, due to its larger amount of RAM than the PSP, XGP web browsing could surpass it if it is loaded with features and such. In terms of emulators, a very well-written DOS emulator would fit into the screen very nicely since many older DOS games like Rogue depend on a longer screen.

awakenjsy posted on May 26 2006 at 12:11 AM said:
As a person who is dying to get XGP when it comes out and have seen what XGP is capable of in person, I hate to say that I agree with what DaveC has commented on XGP and PSP.
I did play few games with PSP and I loved it. I PERSONALLY think that PSP tops all the handheld game consoles out there. However, I just cannot agree with what DaveC has commented on Gp2X. To me GP2X is an unstable PMP with weak gaming support which has no decent games what-so-ever except for emul games. It’s a GP32 wannabe with Linux. But that’s only my opinion.

I can say the same about the XGP.

To me XGP is a PMP with weak gaming support which has no decent games what-so-ever except for ? games. It’s a PSP wannabe with Linux. But that’s only my opinion.

JaqMs posted on May 26 2006 at 02:22 AM said:
I also think the XGP has little hope in terms of gaming. However, due to its larger amount of RAM than the PSP, XGP web browsing could surpass it if it is loaded with features and such. In terms of emulators, a very well-written DOS emulator would fit into the screen very nicely since many older DOS games like Rogue depend on a longer screen.

There are no DOS games that use a 480 x 272 resolution ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they don't, no emulated games are supposed to run at 320x240 either. With the wide screen, it is easier to emulate/port text ASCII games, such as Rogue, Nethack, ZZT, etc, without having to use a scrolling viewport.

edit: oh by the way awakenjsy, have been able to confirm the approximate worldwide release date? Is it still 2007?

JaqMs posted on May 25 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
Of course they don't, no emulated games are supposed to run at 320x240 either. With the wide screen, it is easier to emulate/port text ASCII games, such as Rogue, Nethack, ZZT, etc, without having to use a scrolling viewport.

edit: oh by the way awakenjsy, have been able to confirm the approximate worldwide release date? Is it still 2007?

But there are many emulated games that fit very nicely within 320x240 with no need for scaling/stretching.

JaqMs posted on May 26 2006 at 12:58 PM said:

Let’s say, if there isn’t any DOS games that will run properly on 320X240 resolutions or 480X272 like you, DaveC and other people have said, people like us, professional and amateur developers and game loving people, can make the DOS games run properly on 320X240. Isn’t this what emul-possible handheld game device with open SDK makes great? Isn’t this what this forum exists for; sharing information so we can make more things out of what we have?

About launching date of XGP, I can not say for sure when XGP will be released worldwide. As you might know, XGP and XGP mini enables users to access network and interactive game playing by using Wi-Pi technology. GAMEPARK must find ISPs which are willing to open their services for XGP users before GAMEPARK launches the products. After finding the right ISPs for XGP and mini, GAMEPARK will be able to say exact launching date (I think). But I am sure that they will do everything they can in order to release the products in 2006.

The video of Quake 3 is laughable. The game is zoomed in by at least 75%, so all you see is a closeup of the wall- that's nowhere near the number of polys in an actual scene of the game! Note how you cannot see the weapon the player is carrying, the HUD, or anything like that. Just a zoom-in of the scenery STRAIGHT ahead. Texture quality is horrifyingly low, approaching solid colors on some textures with no detail. Geometry quality is also astoundingly low. The image somehow seems blurry itself, too. The skybox and animated skies seem to be turned off. All shaders are turned off. Lighting is very low quality, looks like fullbright (no lighting). Framerate is acceptable, but any measurement is useless when you can only see <10% of the scene.

Epicenter posted on May 27 2006 at 01:54 AM said:
The video of Quake 3 is laughable. The game is zoomed in by at least 75%, so all you see is a closeup of the wall- that's nowhere near the number of polys in an actual scene of the game! Note how you cannot see the weapon the player is carrying, the HUD, or anything like that. Just a zoom-in of the scenery STRAIGHT ahead. Texture quality is horrifyingly low, approaching solid colors on some textures with no detail. Geometry quality is also astoundingly low. The image somehow seems blurry itself, too. The skybox and animated skies seem to be turned off. All shaders are turned off. Lighting is very low quality, looks like fullbright (no lighting). Framerate is acceptable, but any measurement is useless when you can only see <10% of the scene.

Or it could be the camera ;)

So while some here are in a dither over a new device and want it for the basic reason that it is new, shiny, and has plastic molded into a shape that their brain is not bored of yet, I don't get the rabid interest.
*laughs* Man, Dave, you should have done some writing for GamersGoneBad.com back in the day.

The GP2X survives (and thrives) by doing something other handhelds can't: emulation and open architexture. Secondly, programming 3d games is HARD, so a system that's better at that than 2d puts more onus on the community that wants to make games for it. To top it off, the whole reason the engineers split of from GamePark was over philosophical issues of the units.

So if all of this doesn't tickle your Wii, then by all means - enjoy something else.

But I think direct comparisons of the XGP over the GP2X are kind of silly. Neither is good at doing what the other does - however, the same can't necesarilly be said for the XGP and the PSP, since supposedly the XGP is meant to compete with the PSP.

That battle will be quick and bloody.

JaqMs posted on May 27 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
Epicenter posted on May 27 2006 at 01:54 AM said:

Or it could be the camera ;)

No, look at the screen. It has been set to a lower FOV setting, like FOV 30. Should be 90.

DaveC posted on May 26 2006 at 05:53 AM said:
awakenjsy posted on May 26 2006 at 12:11 AM said:
As a person who is dying to get XGP when it comes out and have seen what XGP is capable of in person, I hate to say that I agree with what DaveC has commented on XGP and PSP.
I did play few games with PSP and I loved it. I PERSONALLY think that PSP tops all the handheld game consoles out there. However, I just cannot agree with what DaveC has commented on Gp2X. To me GP2X is an unstable PMP with weak gaming support which has no decent games what-so-ever except for emul games. It’s a GP32 wannabe with Linux. But that’s only my opinion.

I can say the same about the XGP.

To me XGP is a PMP with weak gaming support which has no decent games what-so-ever except for ? games. It’s a PSP wannabe with Linux. But that’s only my opinion.

It's nothing wrong with being a PSP "wannabe" but if so then hardware shouldn't be weaker than PSP. The VRender3D specs might be looking impressive but notice that there are no claims about its perfomance.

Of course even the PSP isn't that powerfull how the SONY would like you to believe. But given memory bandwith constrain I doubt the XGP will be able to push more than 40-50Mpix/s and it's not including a hit of vertex processing.

DaveC posted on May 26 2006 at 05:53 AM said:
JaqMs posted on May 26 2006 at 02:22 AM said:

There are no DOS games that use a 480 x 272 resolution ;)

Actually some DOS games can use VGA x-modes like the 400x300 or 384x256. Descent and Duke3D for an example.

I like the XGP-Mini but under the circumstances I think it makes little since to put down the money for it when my GP2X does everything it will. Granted I see the size as an advantage because I am the type to want it as an mp3 player and I would love to replace my GBA micro with it if it is able to emulate the GBA and Snes with little to no slowdown that is. But until then I will stick with what I have. Nano, Micro, PSP and DS. Of course hail to the GP2X. –Cole

Back