Gamepark Named Newgp32 Xgp ?

Magus 86 posted on Jul 12 2005 at 09:22 PM said:
Hopefully perfect handheld SNES emulation will be around the corner.

Are you joking? i'd expect perfect N64 emulation at least.. if not, then.. the system sucks imo.. end of story <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
agree. If the next generation didn't offer SIGNIFICANTLY more power then its not worth making the jump. However, don't expect a perfect n64 emulator overnight as even the xbox doesn't have a particularly good one yet.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Jul 12 2005 at 11:33 PM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 12 2005 at 09:22 PM said:
Hopefully perfect handheld SNES emulation will be around the corner.

Are you joking? i'd expect perfect N64 emulation at least.. if not, then.. the system sucks imo.. end of story <_<
Emulation of N64 on PC is still sub-par for a great many games.

Thats not true, i can play any N64 game emulated full speed on my pc.. Hell, i can even emulate the dreamcast near fullspeed playing SA2 on chankast.. the lowest ive seen the FPS counter drop to is 30-35.. and even that is as smooth as butter

There's still many games though that don't emulate perfectly on even the best N64 emulators out there and still very buggy and have graphic issues.

N64 seems to be very unrealiable. Most of the emulators have poor compatability and graphical bugs, missing textures etc on many games.

The only emulator with decent compatability (PJ64) requires an 800Mhz processor.

They all seem to have been all but abandoned too.

Dreamcast is irrelevant. I'd wager you are running on a 2.5Ghz+ processor and modern video card with massive amounts of RAM.

LHC posted on Jul 12 2005 at 11:21 PM said:
N64 seems to be very unrealiable. Most of the emulators have poor compatability and graphical bugs, missing textures etc on many games.

The only emulator with decent compatability (PJ64) requires an 800Mhz processor.

They all seem to have been all but abandoned too.

Dreamcast is irrelevant. I'd wager you are running on a 2.5Ghz+ processor and modern video card with massive amounts of RAM.

Yes, project 64 was the best and still is, i have no graphical bugs at all on every game i try. The only roms i have had problems with are Lylat wars and perhaps banjo kazooie, sound problems in lylat wars, banjo kazooie runs fine but there seems to be slight jerkiness in the frame rate. Mario 64, mario party, perfect dark, goldeneye 007 and MK64 all run fine when i last tried them.

Well my system is fairly new.. its an A64 3500 overclocked from 2.2 to 2.8ghz and 1GB of ram, Geforce 6800GT vid card.

as you can tell, i like to keep fairly up to date on hardware.. But i wait a generation or so before upgrading my video card and stuff, since there will be a bigger increase in speed and will save cash. For instance, people with a 6800 GT/ultra that upgrade to a 7800GTX (i think thats it) will only see 10-25% increase in speed.. not worth it imo, so it says in reviews.

N64 is very compatible, actually. Few little glitches here and there, and I only know of a few that don't work at all. 1964 is best, in my opinion (though I think it's best to have 1964 and PJ64.. then you're pretty much set). I don't expect N64, really (though crazier things have happened).. But Sega CD/32x, Saturn, PSX, and everything in between will all be in reach, I think.

And that right there is fine with me. :D

Well that would be pretty expensive for alot of people but if you could afford those and want a more portable device for emulation I guess you could consider buying a handtop, though the keys may be a little too small to use for gaming perposes.

shinneri posted on Jul 12 2005 at 07:43 PM said:
.. But Sega CD/32x, Saturn, PSX, and everything in between will all be in reach, I think.

I don't think Saturn will ever come to fruition. One of my favorite quotes is that the "saturn could barely play itself;" it's just so damn complex. Besides, I feel that speculation on a system we know NOTHING about is a bit fruitless.

Here's hoping, though. If this is anything like the gp32_console , we are all in for a treat

*drops 2 cents*

triksR4rabits posted on Jul 13 2005 at 12:14 AM said:
..  But Sega CD/32x, Saturn, PSX, and everything in between will all be in reach, I think.

I don't think Saturn will ever come to fruition. One of my favorite quotes is that the "saturn could barely play itself;" it's just so damn complex. Besides, I feel that speculation on a system we know NOTHING about is a bit fruitless.

Here's hoping, though. If this is anything like the gp32_console , we are all in for a treat

*drops 2 cents*

Hopefully it will be alot like the current one as far as screen format controls etc. It may have been a fluke that it worked out like it did though we will see.

Jarska333 posted on Jul 12 2005 at 07:22 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 12 2005 at 07:45 PM said:
How large will the screen be and will it be 4:3?  If it is like the PSP and is 16:9 emus will all look squashed and distorted because of the stretching.  If it is like the Giz it will be smaller than what we have now.

I've never understood why they need to be stretched? Why not have the extra width used for something, like statistics.

Atleast GB games look nice on GP32.

Statistics? I don't know about that one. If the resolution is too high and you don't stretch it the game screen would be postage stamp sized. If you stretch it then the image is full screen but distorted, then you add filtering and it is fuzzy and you loose the sharpness around the edges. LCDs are fixed pixel so if you stretch by an odd value then like every tenth pixel or so is double wide/high giving an uneven look to the graphics. Look at the GB emu on the GP32 and stretch it to see the effect.

Knowing how people think "more is better" the new GP32 will almost definetly be higher res and maybe even widescreen which will be very bad for emulation. This means alot of stretching, filtering, and distortion. I know this from the PSP which is either very small screen size at 1:1 or stretched and distorted fullscreen. There is no option that looks too nice because of the odd resolution and aspect ratio with respect to emulated systems. All emulated systems were designed to run on 4:3 TVs at a resolution of around 320 x 220 or close to that.

Topics merged.

If we get more information, a forum might be a good idea for this. To contain the massive rumour mongering and pre-release info. At the moment, we don't have much to go on and what we do have might be wrong.

Still, feel free to make your theories :)

DaveC posted on Jul 13 2005 at 02:38 AM said:
Jarska333 posted on Jul 12 2005 at 07:22 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 12 2005 at 07:45 PM said:
How large will the screen be and will it be 4:3? If it is like the PSP and is 16:9 emus will all look squashed and distorted because of the stretching. If it is like the Giz it will be smaller than what we have now.

I've never understood why they need to be stretched? Why not have the extra width used for something, like statistics.

Atleast GB games look nice on GP32.

Statistics? I don't know about that one. If the resolution is too high and you don't stretch it the game screen would be postage stamp sized. If you stretch it then the image is full screen but distorted, then you add filtering and it is fuzzy and you loose the sharpness around the edges. LCDs are fixed pixel so if you stretch by an odd value then like every tenth pixel or so is double wide/high giving an uneven look to the graphics. Look at the GB emu on the GP32 and stretch it to see the effect.

Knowing how people think "more is better" the new GP32 will almost definetly be higher res and maybe even widescreen which will be very bad for emulation. This means alot of stretching, filtering, and distortion. I know this from the PSP which is either very small screen size at 1:1 or stretched and distorted fullscreen. There is no option that looks too nice because of the odd resolution and aspect ratio with respect to emulated systems. All emulated systems were designed to run on 4:3 TVs at a resolution of around 320 x 220 or close to that.
well, when there is dedicated hardware for scaleing it dosnt look that bad, but of course, bative resulution is allways the best

triksR4rabits posted on Jul 12 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
..  But Sega CD/32x, Saturn, PSX, and everything in between will all be in reach, I think.

*drops 2 cents*
Yeah, I've heard saturn's a tough one to get going, but I know that a while back someone was working on a Saturn emu for DC... not sure how far that has gotten, though.

You never know.. we'll just have to wait and see.

Vimacs posted on Jul 13 2005 at 12:54 AM said:
well, when there is dedicated hardware for scaleing it dosnt look that bad, but of course, bative resulution is allways the best

When there is dedicated hardware it looks just as bad as without dedicated hardware, it just does it faster.

OK, some things...

Firstly it does not use SMC :)

Secondly please forget crazy thing likes N64 emulation - the new system is designed to be actually affordable and not a $2000 laptop.

One thing I can say is rather than an atari ST, this time its more like an Amiga...

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Back