Frotzed My Ability To Use Battery Power.

Megaboz

Still Fresh
So last night I picked up an AC adaptor for my GP2X (the Radio Shack Digital Camera plug) and happily used it to play a few hours of Sam and Max Hit the Road. Unfortunately, like the moron I am, I had not realised that you are not supposed to plug in an AC adaptor when you've got batteries in your handheld. I tried to use battery power only to discover that my GP2X would glow the little power light on the bottom left, but not actually turn on, when using only batteries.

I searched the forums for a bit to see if anyone else had encountered this problem and discovered one post, which talked about how you could disassemble your handheld and lift a metal plate in a 'little black box' to make the GP2X work with batteries again. There was a diagram attached at one point, but said diagram has long since gone the way of all flesh. When I opened up my handheld, I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do to make it work with batteries again.

Does anyone have any idea where I could find the picture that would show me how to make the required fix? I need to be able to use my GP2X where there isn't AC power available. :-/

In case it matters, my unit is a MK II.

Thanks in advance!

--
Chris

Thanks for the fast response!

That's the thread I was using earlier. Unfortunately, while the instructions do make sense, I can't seem to figure out how to do the fix without the picture that's missing from the thread. :-/ I've opened up the GP2X and looked inside, but can't seem to find the little metal plate that needs lifting.

--
Chris

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.

Thank you both for such fast responses. This is a fantastic community.

--
Chris

I was the original poster on the quoted thread. I opened the case, popped up the plate which was stuck, closed the case and magically batteries worked again. I was thrilled! Then I tried the adaptor, and it worked too! Then I tried batteries again, and they didn't work. The plate gets stuck in the off position (down) every time I use the plug. I found, however, that with a paper clip, I can actually pop the plate back up without removing the cover, because there's a hole in the side, right next to the dc jack. If I get time I'll post a pic, in case you run into the same problem.

Good luck!
-Mike

hey Chris,

You are fine to plug in an adapter with batteries in your GP2X. The small switch inside the power jack disconnects the batteries when the unit is powered with an adapter.

You only need to install that little strip of metal/ small wire across the contacts of the power jack (little black box) if with no adapter pluged in and batteries installed, your GP2X will not power on. The only way you cannot use an adapter with batteries if you put this wire across the contacts of the plug, shorting the switch, because you will be giving you batteries WAY too much juice, and they could explode in your hand (a bad thing).

I'm not convinced that this is your problem, you can try it though it you want. I see that someone else posted the picture already, sorry I could not post sooner, but I was out of town this weekend.

Good luck

Tony

Back