Front End for emulators?

Phawx

Professional Derailer
The emulators that will be available for Pandora, would we be able to send arguments to them instead of having to Load the emulator and than have to browse through a separate file menu?

What I am getting at, is that a .NES extension should execute a NES emulator but we can just look for .NES files through Pandora's File Manager. Or even if we have to do a different extension like .pNES...heh. :wink:

This is just a mockup if we were just browsing a list of roms with different extensions, obviously we would all organize the data differently but this is what I am getting at. Yes we would have to be able to embed artwork within say a simple zip and just rename the extension correctly.

Something like a mame front end would be a great addition to the pandora. Would make it easier to load games. Just imagine using the touch screen to scroll through nes cartridge pictures and clicking one to boot the game sort of like the ipod touch. Something like this also.
http://www.gameex.net/

:eek:

Thank you for showing my HyperSpin. Obviously that interface would be beautiful on the pandora.

But I am going to be building a MAME cabinet soon and it looks like I will have to do a little research in this.

Thanks

I have used Wah!Cade before in a MAME machine i put together, and it works fantastically.

It is not limited to purely MAME, but can be used for any emulator, and even as a launcher for proper games!

Phawx said:
:eek:

Thank you for showing my HyperSpin. Obviously that interface would be beautiful on the pandora.

But I am going to be building a MAME cabinet soon and it looks like I will have to do a little research in this.

Thanks

Dude - that's awesome and you need to port it NOW (Please....) you can build a mame cabinet anytime - this would be so freakin' awesome for the Pandora Imagine if the Pandora if it shipped with this...

Phawx said:
What I am getting at, is that a .NES extension should execute a NES emulator but we can just look for .NES files through Pandora's File Manager.
i agree it would be very convenient if we could launch individual rom files directly rather than first having to start the emu and then load the rom that you want to use.

I really like that Hyperspin. Never knew about it until now, thank for sharing. I currently use Maximus Arcade in my Mame Machine. I would love to see this ported over to the Pandora one day.

D)

Gmenu2X (Pandora's default GUI) has the ability to do this job, as long as the emulator can except command line arguments.
With emulators like SquidgeSnes that can save independent config files for each game, it will work pretty much spot on :)

Most emulators do support command line execution, for a variety of reasons.

Sorry, forgot to mention..
One of the bigger frontends would still be great for people who want to keep a mass repository of roms for all different systems on one SD card.
Gmenu2X would probably need each one created individually, which would be very time consuming for something like that :)

Eisner said:
I really like that Hyperspin. Never knew about it until now, thank for sharing. I currently use Maximus Arcade in my Mame Machine. I would love to see this ported over to the Pandora. Also a great frontend is Maximus Arcade. I use this one in my Mame machine.

D)
maximus arcade is a real nice one, too.
anyway frontends won't be problems, as the devs in the scene are very competent and so I'm sure will be able to have arguments passed to them

Back