Frodo Beta8 Compatibility List

Flack

Until I get this organized and posted on a website, I thought I would post the info here. I was a big, big fan and follower of the Commodore 64. If Frodo was the only program the GP32 ran, I probably still would have bought one. That being said, here are some of the C64 games I've tried so far with beta8.

Rating System

1 - Loaded, didn't run or locked up.
2 - Loaded, ran, unplayable.
3 - Loaded, ran, playable but with issues.
4 - Loaded, ran, playable, minor glitches.
5 - Loaded, ran, 100% sound/graphics.

Note 1: Many C64 games flashed and flickered on the original C64 as well (Paperboy and 720, for example). No points were deducted for that obviously.

Note 2: Some of the cracking screens didn't work 100% correctly (color rasters or other scrolly-things didn't work right). No points deducted for them either.

720 5
Bazooka Bill 5
Buggy Boy 5
Championship Sprint 4
Commando/Commando2 5
Ghostbusters 4.5
Grab-A-Crab 1 (Sticks at title screen)
Howard the Duck 5
Impossible Mission 5 (FrodoPC)
Little Computer People 2 (Runs fine, can't type a ":" which is needed)
Paperboy 4.5 (Music slightly drags)
Paradroid 4 (Music issues, game plays fine)
Pitstop 2 5
Skramble 2
Soldier of Fortune 2 (Game starts & locks up)
Space Invaders 5
Super Mario World 5 (Gianna Sisters)
Super Sprint 4.5
Turmoil 5
Yie Ar Kung-Fu 5
Zevious 4

I plan on spending the majority of the weekend updating my unofficial Frodo FAQ, testing more roms, and maybe even doing some screenshots.

Flack

Few additions:

Breakthru (5)
Cauldron II (5)
Donkey Kong (4.5 - Sound Glitches)
Friday the 13th (3 - Loaded and ran, but can't pick up weapons)
Grog's Revenge (5)
Jumpman (4.5 - Sound drags a bit)
Rambo - First Blood Part II (5)
Shamus (3 - sprite collision problems)
Spy vs. Spy (5)
Wizball (5)
Wonderboy (5)

Cauldron II works now? Cool. When I tried it the collision detection didn't work properly at all.

Inpossible Mission gets a (5) when you play it on the FrodoPC.fxe instead of the normal one.

Flack posted on Apr 12 2003 said:
Skramble 4.5
I would like to know how you got Skramble to run! :unsure:

Everytime I try and play it using any release of Frodo past beta 5, the collision detection appears to be up the creek as my ship will destruct itself at any given time! Also if I fire at an incoming rocket, my missile just passes straight through! :blink:

I am referring to the Rabbit release of Skramble by the way. It runs fine using xfrodo, so I am still a hapy bunny. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My unofficial Frodo FAQ will be going on GP32Emu in the next few days.

I will go back today and check Cauldron II and Skramble. Neither one are games that I played much back in the day, so I just kind of loaded them, ran around in the game for a minute or two, and called it good.

The only major problem with the emu right now seems to be with sprite collisions. In Friday the 13th, I couldn't pick up the weapons, and I found myself getting stuck behind them. Also, like on the weapons, the part of the sprite around the weapon was clear so I could see the background (normal), but when my character walked behind the weapon I disappeared (not normal). Shamus had similar problems, my bullets passed through things when I shot them, I died when I got close to the creatures (but didn't touch them), and often I just "blew up" while walking for no reason -- either there are sprites that aren't showing up, or something is terribly wrong.

As far as sound goes, it varied from "perfect" to "close, but slower than original." On Jumpman and Friday the 13th, for example, the music played but it was slightly slower than it used to be. Other games, like Wonderboy and Yie Ar Kung-Fu, sound exactly like they did on a C64. I don't know if sound optimization is something that is planned in the future or not. Even if it's not, it's perfect on 25% of the games I tested, and pretty close on another 50%. Then there were those last 25% .....

I thought Frodo.fxe was for the GP32, and FrodoPC.fxe was for when using GeePee. Did I misinterpret that? I'll try Impossible Mission with FrodoPC.fxe later.

Flack

I got Impossible Mission to run...
But it only runs under FrodoPC not Frodo.
(both are for the GP32 obviously!) :D

There's a few others i managed to get working but only under FrodoPC, check the compatibility list that comes in the Frodo zip file...

Ok, I updated Impossible Mission and downgraded Skramble ... You were right DD, mine had the same problems, I just thought I was dying continuously because I sucked.

So, I checked the readme and the website and came up with nothing. What's the difference between Frodo and FrodoPC?

Flack

FrodoPC is slower but more compatible while Frodo has some speed patches which make it less compatible.

You recognize that 'cause games run on FrodoPC stutter a bit in the sound.

Cool, thx for the info.

BTW, my Unofficial Frodo FAQ has been posted over at GP32Emu. Here is the URL.

http://faq.gp32emu.com/

The more stuff we get written down like this, the fewer questions we have to answer over and over.

Flack

Back