Freaking Dreamcast

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
This is copy/pasted from my thread over at dc forums.uk or whatever. I'll ask here as well, perhaps get some different responses:

I've had a DC since I read in a gaming magazine that Sega was to stop production on them. I figured that it had such great games that I ought to buy one before it's too late.

So I played ready to rumble boxing, and other games of the like. This was maybe 4 years ago (When it was first announced, i dont remember the exact year).

Im now older, and so a year ago I went ebay surfing and picked up some gems such as shenmue and the really good sport games. I hadn't played my Dreamcast in a while since i had pretty much crappy games laugh.gif

So I break out my DC after a long period of not playing it, pop in shenmue, and start playing. After the long opening sequence, I play for maybe 5 minutes, and BAM, it resets. It wouldnt detect the disc until it cooled down either.

This was completely new to me, and so I ignored it and tryed again and again; but I kept getting the reset issue.

I stopped playing it once again, and stored all my games. I was disappointed to say the very least. I never bothered finding what the problem was though, until yesterday, when some googling brought me to the infamous pin solution. So I followed through with it, and tryed leaving my DC on. 10 minutes later, some weird disc noises, and back to the menu once again sad.gif. So again I hit google, and find that it may be a heat problem.

I isolate my DC, allowing plenty of air (it was in a media cabinet, so it was somehwhat cramped), and power on NBA 2K1. An hour and a half later, still going strong! So I come to the conclusion that it is indeed a heating issue. So I power down, and try to switch discs. I wanted to see if the new game would be detected, because previously it wouldnt (due to the unit being hot, as I stated above). My new game was NOT detected, as I thought.

So now, I have decided that it is probably a heat problem, and while allowing room for my DC to breathe allows me to run a game for a long period of time, I still cannot swap discs while it's warm.

Is there any solution?? I read about the add on fan, but lik sang's sold out ("out of business" anyway), and the only other place to get it is from a UK site where I get raped on cost of shipping alone.

Can anyone help me? There must be something I can do unsure.gif

I can always send it into old school gamer, but I want that to be my last resort.

What do you all think? I've heard this is fairly common. wtf should I do????

If you think it's a heat problem but you've got it in a spot where there's a lot of air, it might be that there's a ton of dust and crap inside. You could open the case and spray canned air to clean it out, might help. That's an odd problem, though.

nope, I opened it. Clean as a whistle :)

Im going to try to play shenmue once again. Hopefully I wont have a problem.

Im still going to try to get that plug-in fan for the back. It can only be beneficial, I suppose.

Some games sometimes comes defective. Have THPS2, had to boot up DC 20-30 times (use to be 5-10 but problem seems to worsened) to be able to play each time :(. Everything else work fine.

I had that issue too the only way i fixed it was...i bought a new 1 <_< but we had a temporary fix that if u played music cd's for a while (low on power) the unit got used to it.

oh btw with that issue shenmue worst game to play :angry:

a new DC with shipping will be around the same price as fixing this one. I also get a 90 day warrenty, a mod chip with installation, and a LED upgrade to neon blue.

All for 100 USD. Or, i could buy a new one and get it after paying maybe 35 or 40, and take the chance that it will be shitty as well. I think with a LED upgrade, warrenty, and a modchip installed, 100 is a great price.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 31 2006 at 04:40 PM said:
a new DC with shipping will be around the same price as fixing this one. I also get a 90 day warrenty, a mod chip with installation, and a LED upgrade to neon blue.

All for 100 USD. Or, i could buy a new one and get it after paying maybe 35 or 40, and take the chance that it will be shitty as well. I think with a LED upgrade, warrenty, and a modchip installed, 100 is a great price.
Whats a modchip for in a DC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity posted on Oct 31 2006 at 11:47 AM said:

play pal games? Shenmue II, record of lodess war, etc

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
Goity posted on Oct 31 2006 at 11:47 AM said:

play pal games? Shenmue II, record of lodess war, etc
Why not just burn DChakker to a disc?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
because Im retarded and will somehow screw that up
It's pretty easy, you just put it to a disc using DJ or something. Also, most games from the internets have been made region free, if not all.

Goity posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:55 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
because Im retarded and will somehow screw that up
It's pretty easy, you just put it to a disc using DJ or something. Also, most games from the internets have been made region free, if not all.
ok so maybe ill forget the chip. But I do want that neon blue led :D

Having the blue neon light is cool. I got my friend to do it to my dreamcast. I also had the same problem with shenmue on my PAL dreamcast. Got rid of shenmue because of it. At some point, i'll get it again but hopefully i'll be able to actually get it to work. From what i've heard, it seems to be a common problem that is arising. Maybe the game data on the discs is being rubbed off since it has been like 5 years or more since it was released.

Back