Forum Is Nice, But Still Has Some "bugs"

DaveC

Internal Development
This forum seems for the most part to be nice and working good.

It seems that the forum will not remember your username and log in anymore though. You have to sign in every time even though the "remember me" box is checked.

Also you are limited to only one private message a day. That is kind of lame, what if you need to contact more than one person a day? That seems kind of strict.

Also the "badges" such as Guru, Mod, etc don't show.

Are some of these things going to be changed eventually?

DaveC posted on May 21 2009 at 05:39 AM said:
It seems that the forum will not remember your username and log in anymore though. You have to sign in every time even though the "remember me" box is checked.
I don't have this problem? I select the site from a bookmark and I'm automatically logged in. Maybe something corrupt on your browser? Try clearing your cookies perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check problem with badges. It was reported to me by another person a few days ago hoever everything looks fine to me so maybe clearing your browser cache will help.

Regarding 1 pm per day. I didnt' set it up so probably another post upgrade bug. Will check it asap.

Ok, i've checked settings and everything looks fine. There is no limit to PM sending. Only limit is set on emails you can email up to 20 emails in 24h with 5 minutes break beetwen sending another. There are no other limits. Check if your inbox is empty because when writing new email you check "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" and when there is no space in your inbox message can't be send.

DaveC posted on May 21 2009 at 06:39 AM said:
Hmm. that's also no problem for me, it logs on from various systems automatically.
Maybe clear your cache, maybe your browser remembers the old IP and doesn't want to work with the new IP because of that.

EDIT:
Can confirm the PM bug.

CODE
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:

You cannot send another PM until May 21 2009, 02:46 PM

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it's possible to check out a person's entire posting history? This was possible with the old forum (and was a really useful feature), but it doesn't seem possible here anymore.

For example, if I click on craigix's profile and click on "posts", I can only see the last 5 posts.

Never mind, I figured it out - I was looking in the wrong place.

I had the problem with signing in for a few days before, but now the forum seems to recognize me...

Esn posted on May 22 2009 at 10:02 PM said:
Never mind.
Ok, nevermind but i'll post it anyway for info:

QUOTE (gp2.eXe was going to post:)
Umm... you can actually. Either click on the profile's name (when viewing threads) and from the drop down select Find Member's Posts, or on the profile page click Options (at the left side) and select view Member's Posts. ;)

(Did it really take me that long to write that?)

hando posted on May 21 2009 at 08:19 AM said:
I'll check problem with badges. It was reported to me by another person a few days ago hoever everything looks fine to me so maybe clearing your browser cache will help.

Regarding 1 pm per day. I didnt' set it up so probably another post upgrade bug. Will check it asap.
I cleared the cache. Still forum doesn't remember me (yes cookies are enabled) and badges show a red "X" with the text "Group icon" (Avatars are fine though).

DaveC posted on May 21 2009 at 12:39 AM said:
Used to have this problem on one computer and not another, couldn't figure it out. But then I found out that it works if you go to http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php? but not if you go to http://gp32x.de/board/. See if this works for you.

I can't see badges either, I just assumed they hadn't been implemented yet. I'm using Firefox. Just tried in IE, it shows the image placeholders as Dave is describing. Pasting the image URL into the address bar gives me "object not found".

Otherwise, I'm loving everything about the new board.

Badges don't appear for me either, and I have just cleared my cache which didn't solve the problem. Instead of the badges I get the text "Group Icon". When I look at the direct path to the icon I get THIS URL. And if I browse to that directly I get a 404 error :(

I can't see badges either (IE) and there seems to be a problem with the menus at the top right of the screen.

problem.PNG

I'm running at 1280x960, so the screen shouldn't be too small. When you hover over the menus "Blog" and "Calendar" are highlighted in grey, but the other menus aren't.

I'm also experiencing the bug where GP32x won't remember me.

I'm not getting email notifications for replies, either to subscribed topics or when I check off the "enable email notification of replies" checkbox when entering a reply.

My email address is correct, and the notifications are not ending up in my spam folder.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ermm... I guess the notification problem HAS to do something with the browser - or hando is changing some things.
It was remembering me until yesterday. Now it doesn't anymore.
Same browser (Opera), same computer, same IP as ever... weird.

I am not changing anything but since upgrade and email system get fixed I started to receive many mail delivery failure notifications. And actually in 100% of them the problem lies on the other side (user server mail system). This is one I just got a minute ago:

The following message to <{removed}@dsl.pipex.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'Mailbox is inactive'
Reporting-MTA: dns; mk-filter-8.mail.uk.tiscali.com

here is another:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at {removed}.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[removed]@yahoo.com>:
66.196.97.250 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to {removed}@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#103]. - mta245.mail.re3.yahoo.com

So please check if you have working email set in your profile options. This should fix your problem.

EvilDragon posted on May 27 2009 at 04:52 AM) Ermm... I guess the notification problem HAS to do something with the browser - or hando is changing some things. It was remembering me until yesterday. Now it doesn't anymore. Same browser (Opera said:
, same computer, same IP as ever... weird.
I'm getting notifications to subscribed topics today.

Me too! To be honest the forum upgrade (and move to new server) has cured email problems for me, prior to the move I never got any emails from the boards, which made it a bit difficult to effectively moderate the place as I never got notifications of Spam attacks etc. Now this isn't a problem :)

I'm getting a lot of cases where a thread is unread even after I read it, and the forum is unread even after I mark it read.
Maybe it's just Konqueror sucking, though.

Yeah, I think Konqueror's cache settings are screwed up. It looks like it's caching the forum when I click on the bookmark. Whenever I explicitly refresh, it corrects the read / unread. Facebook isn't working at all, though...

Back