Football 2x

Mookmac

Still Fresh
Website
www.mookie.the-buccaneer.co.uk
Hey everyone, its come to my attention that there might be some issues with my recently released game, Football 2X.

I forgot to include the art assets in the first release (v.1.0) which should have resulted in a blank screen for everyone. I thought I'd fixed this with v.1.1 but I've just tried it on my F100 and its still got a blank screen. As I don't have a F200 I can't actually tap through and see if any of the game is working at all. If someone could please try this game on an F200 and see if it works that'd be great. Unfortunately I don't access to the computer with the source code until Monday so if it doesn't work then a fix will not be available till then.

Thanks

the most common problem for black / blank screens on the gp2x is due to filename cases. what i mean is, if you programmed your game on windows which is case insensitive. and you do for example SDL_LoadBMP("./somefile.bmp"); while the realname of the asset is Somefile.BMP or something similar it will fail on the gp2x with a black screen because linux is case sensitive !!!

Also normally if you used a start up script the menu should automaticly be restarted even if the game fails or segfaults or whatever (one of the reasons why i use a start up script).

I haven't checked it out yet with your game but i'll do it later. cheers

okay i looked at your game.

from what i can see (by looking at the binary with an hexeditor).
influence2.bmp , smalfont.bmp, is missing in the file in the archive

joyrider said:
the most common problem for black / blank screens on the gp2x is due to filename cases. what i mean is, if you programmed your game on windows which is case insensitive. and you do for example SDL_LoadBMP("./somefile.bmp"); while the realname of the asset is Somefile.BMP or something similar it will fail on the gp2x with a black screen because linux is case sensitive !!!
Linux may be case-sensitive but the FAT32 filesystem isn't necessarily. Most people use SD with FAT32. This causes a bit of a headache when you try to get some things to work. I just spent about two hours renaming lots of lower-case game directories to mixed-case, so that they look pretty and sort properly in the menu. That was great fun because FAT32 won't let you rename gamefolder to GameFolder because it sees them as the same file (the workaround is to move it to, e.g. gamefoldertemp and then to move gamefoldertemp to GameFolder).

From a programming perspective, it *is* good practice to check that the case is exactly the same in your final archive and the program. This can mean avoiding all uppercase filenames because sometimes FAT32 will "prettify" them for you, so GAME becomes Game on the disk. Personally, I've found that using lower-case filename EVERYWHERE is the best option. Nobody looks at them anyway once they are on the GP2X. Thus, it's better to have "game.gpe" loading "game.ini" and saving to "game.sav" than to try and mix cases all the time. I even usually stick in a bit of code to make sure that all filenames end up in lowercase if I'm generating them programmatically (e.g. from an internal game name).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back