FM radio?

As far as I know neither the PLS8 nor PHS8 have FM tuners. It's not in their specsheets and casual google searches don't reveal anyone even remotely suggesting it may be possible, so I think no.

Possibility of separate FM radio? I'm going to guess, not a chance. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong but as I recall in the Droid 1 the FM radio was built into the Bluetooth chip. I feel an FM radio if already an optional feature of something already going to be in the Pyra than it would be nice to have it actually usable but shouldn't be something extra specifically added.

I can recommend some pocket sized AM/FM/Shortwave radio receivers if anyone is interested.

For a moment I thought a few of these posts were a joke.  Not sure if they are or not, but there are many options available if people really want commercial FM radio.

What for? Fm programs are utter crap bundled with ads every 10 mins.
Depends on the time of the day and the program.
Anyway: You can use it without the need of an internet connection, which is nice. There are also ad free culture and news broadcasts in germany.

Depends on the time of the day and the program.

Anyway: You can use it without the need of an internet connection, which is nice. There are also ad free culture and news broadcasts in germany.
We have one here that has no, or very few, ads, just music and occasional short ( 5 seconds max) station identifiers and comments from listeners.  I usually don't listen to FM radio, though.

The college radio station I listen to is pretty good. The only infrequent ads they have are for taxis as a reminder to not drink and drive.

Not the BBC -- no adverts at all, except for announcements of schedule and new programmes (but only between complete programs).

On BBC Radio 3 one can listen to the entire first act of an opera, then there is some chat during the interval and then the second act, with no advertising at all. Admittedly, BBC (radio and television) is one of the better things about living in the UK.

Not that I use radio much. An FM radio would come under 'nice to have, not important'.

here in Seattle are a reasonable number of public/college (read: ad-free) FM stations on the left-hand side of the dial. i would consider an FM receiver USB dongle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never listen to the radio, read the news, or watch tv... what goes on in my own mind is always vaaaaastly more interesting... as some of you no doubt have begun to acertain.

I'm tuned into other dimensions man!

The inconvenient thing about using a USB external FM radio reciever is that it will stick out, making the Pyra completely unpocketable.

On the other hand,  there are a lot of very cheap, very small FM radios that will fit in your pocket. There is no real reason to connect your FM radio to your palmtop computer.

Back