Flying Shark Compatibility

nick123

Still Fresh
hi all
im new to this forum so i hope this is in the right section.

im thinking of buying a gp2x but just wanted to know if Flying Shark the mame version works on the gp2x.
if so does it play at the right speed? is there a list of the compatible games any where on the net?

also whats the biggest SD card you can put in the gp2x does the 8gig SD cards work?

cheers
nick

the gp2x suppports 4gb sd cards right now. it might add support for bigger cards in the future (as far as I understand) with another firmware release but this is not certain.

I am not sure if flying shark works, mame on the gp2x supports most games of the .34 and .35 romset. might be supported but it's not in the wiki.

for further information also have a look into the wiki yourself. lots of questions have been answered there already.

gp2x wiki

also shinneri has got an AWESOME newbie guide to the gp2x and related consoles. have a look here aswell:

GPnewbie

nick123 posted on Mar 7 2007 at 03:51 PM said:
...if Flying Shark the mame version works on the gp2x. if so does it play at the right speed? is there a list of the compatible games any where on the net?

It's not listed in the gamelist.txt that comes with the MAME GP2X emulator. However, there are several other airplane shooters that are similar (1943, etc.) working at 100% speed.

And like xnopasaranx wrote, check out the GP2X wiki, very useful. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I added Twin Cobra support to MAME a while ago. At the same time I tried adding Flying Shark however I found that it broke Twin Cobra support. So in the end, Flying Shark didn't make it.

I think Twin Cobra is better anyway :)

cheers for the replies

xnopasaranx, i will get a 4gig sd card then to be on the safe side, i will also bookmark those links you gave me many thanks.

saehn, the reason i asked about flying shark is this is the only game ive beat in a arcade on 10p / 20p (one go) and really like the game this game on its own warrants me buying a gp2x ive already got it on my pc and xbox but i do commute to work and this game i would play on the train.
but as you say there are a lot vertical scrolling shootemups available to the gp2x and this has near enough won me over to buying one.
only thing im thinking now do i buy new or from ebay.

slaanesh posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:58 PM said:
I added Twin Cobra support to MAME a while ago. At the same time I tried adding Flying Shark however I found that it broke Twin Cobra support. So in the end, Flying Shark didn't make it.

I think Twin Cobra is better anyway :)

you are probably right as i think twin cobra came out after flying shark but was made by the same people.
was there ever a version of mame released on the gp2x that supported flying shark? if so can i still download it?

nick123 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:16 AM said:
xnopasaranx, i will get a 4gig sd card then to be on the safe side, i will also bookmark those links you gave me many thanks.

Just check that you DON'T get a SDHC card, but a normal SD card, since SDHC (new standard for larger cards) is not supported (yet).

nick123 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 11:16 AM said:
you are probably right as i think twin cobra came out after flying shark but was made by the same people.
was there ever a version of mame released on the gp2x that supported flying shark? if so can i still download it?
Unfortunately there isn't.

Back