8 Gb Sd In Gp2x ?

guilhermegrg

Still Fresh
Hi
I'm considering buying a gp2x, and so i've been reading all the info i can get on it. Thing is i found the gp2x wiki entry on sd card compatibility and so far the biggest ones i see are 4 gb sd cards, even though there are 8 gb sd cards already on sale - at least on ebay.

My question is if the 8 gb sd cards are compatible with the gp2x - has anyone tried sucessfully ? - and if the future 16 gb cards will also be compatible.

Regards
Guilherme Gomes

Hi
I'm considering buying a gp2x, and so i've been reading all the info i can get on it. Thing is i found the gp2x wiki entry on sd card compatibility and so far the biggest ones i see are 4 gb sd cards, even though there are 8 gb sd cards already on sale - at least on ebay.

My question is if the 8 gb sd cards are compatible with the gp2x - has anyone tried sucessfully ? - and if the future 16 gb cards will also be compatible.

Regards
Guilherme Gomes

More often than not, the 8GB SD cards you find on eBay are fakes - so be careful.

Also, craigix reported that they do work - the gp2x can read and write to it, but it can't recognise how big it is. Whatever impact this may have on applications is unknown, so it's best to just wait until GPH gives us official support [AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA]

Last edited by a moderator:
8gb are SDHC which isn't officially (or even unofficially) supported, but if you've got an SDHC card then there's no harm in giving it a try. 4gb cards are either SDHC or a hack to the standard SD spec, and many devices don't like the hack (the gp2x is ok with it though I think).

I believe SDHC uses block accesses, whilst SDLC uses byte accesses, and thus is limited to 4294967295 bytes (just under 4GB when all the reserved stuff is taken away).

I very much doubt if the mmcsd driver in the gph kernel supports both block and byte access, so would be very surprised if it worked at the full 8GB and remained compatible with other SDHC units.

From memory there are some non-HC 8gb ones, but the 2x doesn't recognise where the end is, resulting in very strange effects.

thanks for all the replies.

I guess the bottom line of my question is: does the hardware of the gp2x support bigger than 4 gb sd cards reliably ? Is it just a question of a firmware update or are we stuck at 4 gb ?

The hardware certainly supports it, the physical connections and protocol are exactly the same - it's just the data that is transmitted to the card that is slightly different.

In other words, no need to worry, if GPH don't do anything, a member of the community certainly will (some are already looking into it judging from the developers chat room).

Back