Flv Player

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
we all know why it would be cool... easy vids off you-tube-ish sites. sorry if this has been mentioned before but besides the mention in the flash player post from yesterday(?).. didnt see this up here. know there needs to be some work done... but this is the wishes forum... :ph34r:

Difficult. It's much less effort just to convert them using a program such as Super© (which is free).

dude, your point is appreciated and i did search it... only found 3 hits for flv player. but it is a wishes forum. sucks that the media player cant be expanded-- but i was thinking more along the lines of an independent piece of software-- im not a coder, so i may be talkin out of my a**, but since the forum is entitled wishes... i dont feel out of line stating my wish...

as to nickspoon... yeah, thanks for the hookup on the super c... i am using it, and its great, but, wouldnt it be cool to just take one down, and pop it in? I know, i know... im lazy, but it would still be cool... of course, it would be cool if my microwave woke me up and fed the baby too...

later
d B)

Doesn't flash require a fair bit of CPU power anyway? Would the GP2X be able to play FLVs at full speed?

Get the VideoDownloader plugin for MozillaFirefox. Then use Super to convert it to .avi or whatever.

Or give stupid FLV file playing sites the finger and use a PROPER video site that allows you do download .AVI files, such as Google Video. Most popular non-vlog videos are mirrored on Google Video too, so that should not be a problem. Use http://keepvid.com/ to download the videos without needing to login or open up the Google Video client.

Note: downloaded files from GVideo won't play in Windows Media Player, because WMP = the suck. They will work fine on the GP2x or proper players (such as the excellent VLC Media Player) though! :)

Or give stupid FLV file playing sites the finger and use a PROPER video site that allows you do download .AVI files, such as Google Video. Most popular non-vlog videos are mirrored on Google Video too, so that should not be a problem. Use http://keepvid.com/ to download the videos without needing to login or open up the Google Video client.

Note: downloaded files from GVideo won't play in Windows Media Player, because WMP = the suck. They will work fine on the GP2x or proper players (such as the excellent VLC Media Player) though! :)

The amount of misinformation/lack of knowledge in this post is astounding...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is?
Well, point me to the misinformation then, if you're so smart!

The only things I could have slipped up were the "flv playing" part (which actually is what happens. You load a player through flash which opens http://video.youtube.com/USERID/MEDIAID.flv or something along those lines) and the mirroring part, since a video on Google video isn't technically a mirror (since the files are different)...

Or give stupid FLV file playing sites the finger and use a PROPER video site that allows you do download .AVI files, such as Google Video.

It's just converted to .avi because that's one of the things it does along with converting to .flv and .mp4. Youshit only converts to .flv because not everyone has the server power like Google (which has millions of acres of serverland). It is fixed resolution unless it is smaller.

Use http://keepvid.com/ to download the videos without needing to login or open up the Google Video client.

The extension VideoDownloader works too for Firefox. Even then, it's usually just a link conversion for sites and you change a part of the link to save it.

I use a WMP compatible software called Media Player Classic (which looks like an old version of WMP but under the hood is very different and is open source). You just don't know about adding codec support for base players in Windows that use Directshow, and with Directshow I can convert any format that is playable in WMP/Media Player Classic to most of the common formats, including playing FLV files and changing it to DivX/XviD for the GP2X, but I rarely do things like this because I mostly play games on my GP2X.

VLC is a nice player, but it does not support a lot of the things I want. I'd basically call it a player that has the basic things needed built and good enough for people that don't know what's going on with video/audio/subtitle decoding (like a Mac vs Linux thing) and is a player that requires no dependencies and plays a lot of formats.

It's just converted to .avi because that's one of the things it does along with converting to .flv and .mp4. Youshit only converts to .flv because not everyone has the server power like Google (which has millions of acres of serverland). It is fixed resolution unless it is smaller.
Allright, you got a point there. Still, they could just drop flv in favor of a different kind of streaming format (but not WMV or Real Media please.)

The extension VideoDownloader works too for Firefox. Even then, it's usually just a link conversion for sites and you change a part of the link to save it.
VideoDownloader is basically the same thing: it opens a page on Keepvid (or actually the sister page of Keepvid which is on another server hosted by the guy that made Keepvid and the extension). Very useful for when you need to grab one of those files.

I use a WMP compatible software called Media Player Classic (which looks like an old version of WMP but under the hood is very different and is open source). You just don't know about adding codec support for base players in Windows that use Directshow, and with Directshow I can convert any format that is playable in WMP/Media Player Classic to most of the common formats, including playing FLV files and changing it to DivX/XviD for the GP2X, but I rarely do things like this because I mostly play games on my GP2X.
Classic I've only ever found useful to replace RealMedia Player and Quicktime Players, for the rest, I found it to be pretty buggy with some videos (codecs crashing, etc) and I never really found the colors it displayed to be true to what they should be. It handles subtitles nicely though. Never knew it converted things to DivX/XviD.

Oh, and I was ofcourse talking about the official, new Windows Media Player. It doesn't support Google Video downloaded AVIs because they use the "goog" FourCC, which Windows Media Player doesn't like at all.

VLC is a nice player, but it does not support a lot of the things I want. I'd basically call it a player that has the basic things needed built and good enough for people that don't know what's going on with video/audio/subtitle decoding (like a Mac vs Linux thing) and is a player that requires no dependencies and plays a lot of formats.
I actually find VLC to do exactly the things I want it to. Preview movies that haven't been downloaded completely without it crashing or doing something weird (MPC often crashed on me when I wanted to do the same) and open up all the files I throw at it. Iso files? No problem. Rar files? Easy. Rar files with ISOs in them? It does those too. Makes me not need to have Alcohol or DAEMON Tools opened up. True, it could really benefit with some extra info about the file you're trying to play. For the rest, I feel it supports most features I use regularly. I don't need a playlist or anything like that, since I'd rather use a player such as XMplay to play my music files. Because of that, VLC is fast. Insanely fast. Which is good. :)

Ontopic: since FLVs are often small files without many frames, you can convert one easilly with FFMpeg using:
ffmpeg -i INFILE.flv -vcodec xvid -acodec mp3 OUTFILE.avi
Shouldn't give you much quality loss. Make sure your ffmpeg build has LAME and XVID enabled though, otherwise that commandline won't work and give you an error.

My setup is kind of strange to begin with actually. I don't directly convert it through MPC to convert things to other things, I use an Avisynth script like this:

Code:
DirectShowSource("D:\in.flv")

And then open up said script in Virtualdub. I have Real Alternative, Quicktime, and this setup to convert to and from almost anything. With Avisynth I can even embed the subtitles if I can't convert/access the subtitle file right so that they will be directly encoded on the video.

Round about yes, but hey... it works.

However I do use VLC for the reason you have mentioned: play incomplete files. I haven't found anything else that does it better yet =D

im not a huge fan of the flv format myself... i figure youtube etc use it because lots of browsers support it, but not many people have the codecs for it in the video players... makes it harder for the no-nothing to cheat... but as i myself am evidence of... only a little ingenuity, and the generosity on the net can make it easy to get around that small hurdle...

the main reason i use youtube, and (especially, cuz its not as well known yet) dailymotion is because i like to keep up on my favorite tv shows that i cant watch here in japan... but dont like the slow torrent speeds, especially since im not looking for replacements for owning the dvds, i just wanna watch the shows... the file limit restrictions make it so that the quality is good enough, but not perfect which keeps the file sizes down... and im downloading off a proper server, so with a DL manager... i have a whole new show in about 5,6 minutes as compared to waiting all night for a torrent (not to mention the time it would take to find one with a high ratio of feeders/leechers...) i myself am a leech... so i dont really like slowing up those networks either since i dont want to/cant contribute anyway... it would be much nicer to watch that quickly downloaded vid right on my tv after a quick copy and paste-- no messing around.... but i usually end up watching the episode in the browser while i wait for super c to make it portable...

as to why i dont go to google video, well... i do... and those avi are downloaded no problem, so i dont need to wish for anything in this forum... but the other main reason is that there just happens to be a community that puts up the shows im looking for only 4 hours after the original airtime.... i havent seen anything like that on the google site yet... also, for whatever reason, i never see japanese shows on google... but i have gotten a number of relatively recent japanese dramas that i like to watch mostly for language practice (though a really do like a couple) off youtube... again... its just a function of going where the content is...

sorry this is a non-technical rant... but thats the why i wish for it... of course it would be nice if they just let you download avis... but that wish goes in youtubes inbox...

i know this is not likely to ever happen... and dont figure im entitled to anything... but i just wanted to see if others out there shared my interests... thanks for all the feedback...

d

Just to let you all know (don't think anyones mentioned it?).. Mplayer on the pc supports the playing of FLV files without any messing about. You don't even have to download a codec or anything.
It could probably be easier to see if the codec can work or be changed to work on the GP2X version of Mplayer maybe?

Just to let you all know (don't think anyones mentioned it?).. Mplayer on the pc supports the playing of FLV files without any messing about. You don't even have to download a codec or anything.
It could probably be easier to see if the codec can work or be changed to work on the GP2X version of Mplayer maybe?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry473082

Yeah, I know I've said this thousands of times. It's always the same reason, and it always will be. We cannot add anymore video codecs at all.

Back