Netplay A Possibility?

NoidZ

Mind the world, need for panic
Website
Visit site
Yes this is my 3rd topic in this forum in 2 days, but I just want to know about all the possibilities :)

Can it be done that you can play let's say Metal Slug (if it works full speed and sound) to play with 2 Players via the NetPlay servers (used by nebula for example) with the usb cable? (or by anything else)

If it can be done. It would be one of my biggest wishes for the GP2X

...offcourse, all the emulators should support this :D

NoidZ posted on Apr 5 2006 at 08:08 AM said:
Yes this is my 3rd topic in this forum in 2 days, but I just want to know about all the possibilities :)

Can it be done that you can play let's say Metal Slug (if it works full speed and sound) to play with 2 Players via the NetPlay servers (used by nebula for example) with the usb cable? (or by anything else)

If it can be done. It would be one of my biggest wishes for the GP2X

...offcourse, all the emulators should support this :D

I suppose that in theory it is possible. The GP2x does have usb port, and you can get USB dongles for network connectivity and/or Bluetooth.

You'd need the sourcecode for the driver for the USB networking device so you could compile it for the GP2x, and write some scripts to load said device.

Then you'd need to convince the developers of various emus that there was enough interest in it, or write the relevant code yourself.

I wish you the best of luck with this, because I think it would be cool too. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Networking is a bit of a problem. The standard kernel doesn't have any networking capability. It is possible (look at the Wiki).

It's a pity because there are many games/applications that use networking (even for single players) that would be easier to port if networking was available.

<RANT>GPH - We want networking NOW!</RANT>
(Well, I do anyway :) )

I wonder if, with some very complicated coding, say for Mega Drive emulator, it would be possible to "link-up" with another player over the internet on youre 2X, and play 2 player games? obviously, the games would have to be natrually 2 player, such as alien storm, golden axe, etc.

Uh...did you see that article on hackaday, they already did attach a mouse, keyboard, and a usb adapter to the gp2x. Link here.

Anyways, in order for that to work, wouldn't you need to a.) have the usb adapter drivers all set up to send packets between router (and then the serv) back and forth, b.) someway for the emulator to receive the packet, and then utilize it in some sort of way, aka injecting data into w/e section of the game usually reserved for player 2. Note: Qtopia is actually a port or something of the PDA version for...PDAs.

I really don't know if there are any servers that do that, but as you mentioned, that NetPlay server might work. But...yea, theoretically that might just work, as in my head, it seems to check out...

Player 2 data input--->Player 2 handling by game

Web server--->Your USB adapter--->*injected* Player 2 data input--->Player 2 handling by game...

Or I'm a moron...which is very VERY likely.

the guy making the snes emulator on PSP has slated netplay for his next release, and even released a video demonstrating it in action. we could ask him for code at some point, even if the kernel still needs some work.

Did you know that the commercial GP32 game Bloody Cross actually had a usb-over-internet-multiplayer possibility? even the free demo had it and i actually played with someone who has a gp32 too, even though it was a bit laggy, but hey it worked! and i only had ISDN..

so im pretty sure something like this can work on the gp2x aswell! = )

Back