Flickering Screen

The best explanation I've heard so far is that the problem could be caused by cold soldering on the battery connector joints. This would cause high resistance and additional voltage drop on the batteries, making it look like the batteries are being drained prematurely.

Photo batteries could possibly help fight this somewhat but the affected units would still have rather bad battery life compared with problem free units. Cold soldering joints is a common problem in the manufacturing process of electronics.

Read more about soldering defects in the soldering wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering#Soldering_defects

In response to using alcohol, probably not... You can pick up a small bottle of nail polish remover (acetone) for less than a dollar here. Use a cotton swap. But again, if it sits on it, it will melt plastic! Be carefull not to drip it everywhere.

ARg. Didn't think it was a British-only thing.

Nobody in America says "soft ear swab", they say "Q-tip".

Similarly, the term "biro" is used to mean "ball-point" even though it's a brand name.

This does not mean that you can write with ear swabs or should shove pens in your ears, but it does mean that language makes no sense. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

ARg. Didn't think it was a British-only thing.

Nobody in America says "soft ear swab", they say "Q-tip".

Similarly, the term "biro" is used to mean "ball-point" even though it's a brand name.

This does not mean that you can write with ear swabs or should shove pens in your ears, but it does mean that language makes no sense. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Correct, Just like people say Band-aid instead of adhesive bandage. Just like many years ago instead of photocopy it was make a xerox of it. And, the correct term is not "soft ear swab", its "Cotton Swab". (I even looked at the package to make sure) :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q?

What about rubbing alcohol?

I usually use that, will it take off the coating?

Q-tip is a brand of American Earswab... They're called that because I guess Q-tip (like Xerox) were the first to invent them or something... Basically, any cotton earswab...

The Q? was short for the word Question. I didn't mean to start all this funny stuff.

What about watching an unhealthy amount of the Black Adder?
Yo ho with shiny brass nobs on!
A small turnip of my very own. :)
Oh, that's different, I'd get a big turnip in the country. :D

Edit: I plan to use some 1800 grit wet sanding paper to clean them.

And if they are soldered cold, why I'll just fix that too. :D

The Q? was short for the word Question. I didn't mean to start all this funny stuff.

What about watching an unhealthy amount of the Black Adder?
Yo ho with shiny brass nobs on!
A small turnip of my very own. :)
Oh, that's different, I'd get a big turnip in the country. :D

Edit: I plan to use some 1800 grit wet sanding paper to clean them.

And if they are soldered cold, why I'll just fix that too. :D
I like your cunning plan, make sure you take plenty of photos if you use a soldering iron on your GP2X if I don't tackle it before you. It would be a good idea to document any hacks inside the GP2X for future refence.

Hell! we could even release a Haynes manual for it :D

Q-Tip.jpg

There B) Q-tips (or whatever u call it :lol:)

I had a flickery screen with the batteries which came in the box (Bexel something
or other - lasted an hour!) and with a few others I found about the place. Things
have much improved now that I have slapped some rechargables in (Energizer
Advanced 2500mAh) :)

does it work with the rechargables only if they are freshly charged or even after 50% and below?

does it work with the rechargables only if they are freshly charged or even after 50% and below?

Even below 50%, though from what I have read on these forums and elsewhere
the quality of your power supply, batteries or otherwise, is very important. I
used this little chart to decide on which ones to get for my digital cameras (and
the GP2X) http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM as both
are quite heavy drain [the GP2X exceptionally so for the moment ;) ]

i'm using the sanyo 2500 atm and they seem ok to me.
but evil dragon said, he tested a lot of gp2x's and some have this flickering and some doesn't under the same circumstances.

so, is it bad to have a flickering one? will better battieries solve every single gp2x's flickering? or are there units wich have heavier flickering which can't be solved by better batteries?

Back