GP32 Flickering - Gplynx

tuskenraider2k

Certified Guru
Hej ho',

sorry to ask again about flickering isues...

I'm not very well in Assembler and my project is c and c++.

Has somebody hints how I could track the problem or further ideas?

Doublebuffering isn't the problem. If I deactivate the Screen operations the screen still FLICKERS!

- The only things I can image are the cache problems(?)

I'm cleaning up the code and trying to reduce the code size. Furthermore I am reducing the memory used. Also I try to change the access of the memory.

Ah, perhaps this could improve the caching:
I could put nearly all variables from the classes in a global file, would be ugly :)

Regards,

TuskenRaider

Hi Per,

I have never myself encountered this flickering problem so I can only guess. Could it be the cpu clock settings you are using? Not the parameter that selects the speed of the cpu, but the other two. There are many combinations. It could also be cause by the SDK you are using, I have always been using the original Gamepark SDK.

Isn't it a bandwith issue? From what I have heard it happens when the GP32 is being taxed alot. I don't think it is possible to totally eliminate the flicker if your app is CPU/Bus intensive. You can just reduce it. DrMD and OSnes still has slight flicker too. I am no coder but that is what I remember hearing.

tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 24 2005 at 07:07 AM said:
Hej ho',

sorry to ask again about flickering isues...

I'm not very well in Assembler and my project is c and c++.

Has somebody hints how I could track the problem or further ideas?

Doublebuffering isn't the problem. If I deactivate the Screen operations the screen still FLICKERS!

- The only things I can image are the cache problems(?)

I'm cleaning up the code and trying to reduce the code size. Furthermore I am reducing the memory used. Also I try to change the access of the memory.

Ah, perhaps this could improve the caching:
I could put nearly all variables from the classes in a global file, would be ugly :)

Regards,

TuskenRaider

I ported mame some month ago, and ran into the same problems,
you must compile cpu intensive parts with
-O0 , and not -O2

So try compile different *.o files with -O0, and look if it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, yes. I just compiled the whole project with -O0

And it doesn't flicker then, but runs slower.

Wow! I just tried -O1 then it is not so much slower 9% with Chip's Challenge and it doesn't flicker!!

Nice :)

But I have to go now, I post the fxe in the beta board.

Regards,

TuskenRaider

I hope anticipation is not to early, but it didn't flicker for the moment :))

tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 24 2005 at 05:45 PM said:

Wow! I just tried -O1 then it is not so much slower 9% with Chip's Challenge and it doesn't flicker!!

Regards,

TuskenRaider

Maybe have an option for the two different modes? Or maybe two different versions 9% slower is pretty much, but maybe not I must try it. I wouldn't mind a little flicker if it runs smoother. I will have to test, at work now. I will let you know what I think of the flicker when I try it.

Thanks again for the great emu.

DaveC posted on Oct 24 2005 at 10:56 AM said:
tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 24 2005 at 05:45 PM said:

Regards,

TuskenRaider

Maybe have an option for the two different modes? Or maybe two different versions 9% slower is pretty much, but maybe not I must try it. I wouldn't mind a little flicker if it runs smoother. I will have to test, at work now. I will let you know what I think of the flicker when I try it.

Thanks again for the great emu.

That isn't possible. The change was made to how the program is compiled. So the only possible way to do that would be two FXE's and a frontend, and that isn't worth it, just put both on your SMC.

Back