Flash Support

fettouhi said:
Doesn't HTML5 youtube work in Chromium?
Yes, it does. And if we also have a Chromium option on the Pandora, the better. I haven't been following everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the current versions of chromium and firefox 4 it doesn't! Not on Pandora!

mcobit said:
With the current versions of chromium and firefox 4 it doesn't! Not on Pandora!
What's the version of Chromium on Pandora? The version I have on the desktop is this one (from 'about:')

Chromium 6.0.472.63 (Developer Build 59945) Built on Debian unstable, running on Debian 5.0
WebKit 534.3
V8 2.2.24
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.63 Safari/534.3
Command Line /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser http://www.youtube.com/html5

I can get FF4 beta7 to do HTML5 youtube on Pandora and it was way smoother than minitube on my naff wifi/mifi connection. I then tried with the latest Chromium PND that Im aware of (4.0.267.0) and despite opting into the trial, you get a message that the 'browser does not support any of the file formats offered'. So chromium does not seem to work.

The best route is likely an app specifically for youtube.

On the Nokia N900 (virtually same hardware as Pandora), viewing flash within the browser itself is slow, even while overclocked to ~1ghz using the actual youtube site isn't very enjoyable, since doing some simple things like making the video full screen make the videos drop frames for some videos. Likewise dual-booting Android 2.2 on my N900, flash performance is better but still quite poor.

There's an application on the N900 called Cutetube that recently came out and has been getting constant updates, this program actually uses Maemo's built in mplayer to play back flash files and it does so FAR better than flash within the browser. Better quality and far better performance with no dropped frames. The reasoning behind this I believe is that the Maemo media player has hardware decoding for the h264 flash video files, while the flash player in the browser doesn't.

cutetube1.png

cutetube2.png

cutetube3.png

cutetube4.png

Elanzer said:
The best route is likely an app specifically for youtube.
We have Minitube. It works pretty well if you have a stable connection. There seems to be a buffering problem if you're one of the people that starts at 300KB/s and falls to 50KB/s, but if your connection is stable (whether it starts and stays at 300KB/s or 50KB/s, as long as it's constant) then it has no problems.

Minitube doesn't work for me.
Lets me search and shows results, but after that it just keeps saying "could not open media source".

Minitube needs the codec pack installed and you should get the 1.2 Version from the appstore. The first version was lacking some libs.

Chaser said:
I can get FF4 beta7 to do HTML5 youtube on Pandora and it was way smoother than minitube on my naff wifi/mifi connection. I then tried with the latest Chromium PND that Im aware of (4.0.267.0) and despite opting into the trial, you get a message that the 'browser does not support any of the file formats offered'. So chromium does not seem to work.

HTML5 video worked for me on FF4 too. FF4 itself is slow compared to Chromium but doesn't seem to lose connection (or just die) the way Chromium does for me.

It runs the little JavaScript game I wrote really slowly though.

Off to try some more youtube vids :)

Lobo said:
Minitube doesn't work for me.
Lets me search and shows results, but after that it just keeps saying "could not open media source".

I think youtube has changed something, minitube has stopped working on my workstations and give the exact same error message.

I just tried it as well and yeah, same error. That sucks. It was working, something must have changed at youtube's end. :(

You also have to realize you tube isnt the ONLY video site. maybe the best, but you cant find absolutely everything on that one site.

Back