Fix for loose Pandora hinges

zapman

Hi there,

If you have problems with a loose hinge or just want to keep the Pandora open at a fixed angle, you could try the bracket I made: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19012

Print one or two of them, whether you want to use it held in hands (1 bracket) or flat on a table (2 brackets).

All you need is a 3d printer, check out http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page for example.

Enjoy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hee hee "All you need is a 3d printer"

really wish I had one but guessing you are in the minority! :) think a reprap is close to a grand isn't it

Thats a hell of a fix - thanks for that, I'll shove off to Metalab later this week and make a couple ..

Of course, I could just use a rubber band, or put some sort of bead in place to make it 'snap'. Hmm ..

Cheers! Gonna print one tomorrow (3D printer is busy at the moment).

Hmm this give me an idea. How bout one that plugs into the USB port? Would the mechanical stress be too much for it?

Just a thing that would fit into the USB port and a piece of plastic that angles up, maybe with a little bit of padding to avoid scratching the top paint.

Hmm this give me an idea. How bout one that plugs into the USB port? Would the mechanical stress be too much for it?

Just a thing that would fit into the USB port and a piece of plastic that angles up, maybe with a little bit of padding to avoid scratching the top paint.

With integrated USB hub?

Certainly possible, actually I think if you take the cable part of the hub and use sugru or something to add a "mountain" to the top it may work just as well.

hee hee "All you need is a 3d printer"

really wish I had one but guessing you are in the minority! :) think a reprap is close to a grand isn't it

there are more and more ppl out there with a 3d printer. I'm one of them, for a couple of months now. If you care about the cost, you could cut it as low as 400€ for sure. Maybe even lower if you do the electronics yourself.

Top idea zapman. Surprised your not planning to sell these to the community :)

You are right. But I wouldn't like to sell them, I would give them away for free. If you pick them up, I can make as many as there is need of. If you want me to ship them, I might do that if someone asks nicely and is in actual need of it.

I'd be happy to print a few off at Metalab if someone wants one, also ..

Looks really nice, but alas I'm nowhere near a 3d printer... ^^;

I put a small paperclip in the gap between the unit and the screen to keep it in place. This works really well, but I'm worried that it could actually make it worse in the long run. What you you think?

I think that may be bad indeed, you apply pressure on the hinge where no pressure is supposed to be. If you are careful it might be ok but one flick at the screen and you might snap your lid off.. not sure how much it takes but I wouldn't want to know.. :)

Frankly, what we need is a re-designed hinge with a threaded outer spindle and a knurled nut so that we can adjust/lock the tension/friction on the hinge manually. Until then - ideas like this are very cool.

No access to a 3d printer myself. They're a bit pricey for home use.

Nice solution zapman. Now I think Prometheus will make one out of Sugru :)

Nice solution zapman. Now I think Prometheus will make one out of Sugru :)
Nope - I'm fine with the fully-open angle, actually. ;)

That said, it certainly is an interesting use for the stuff, if you can manage to keep it in such a shape without it sticking to things for the 24 hours that it takes to cure!

And, of course, it goes without saying that zapman's bracket is really cool. The idea of using two of them sort of puts me in mind of those stands that you can get to prop up laptops or mobile telephones, for some reason. :p

Back