Pandora hinges: Episode++: 270Deg of rotation

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
p2270hinge.png

1. Chunky hinge provides somewhere to put the speakers
  2. Also increases friction, space for latching mechanism - avoid loose movement
  3. Is a single hinge, so hopefully not a design nightmare
  4. Assuming good lock/latching, provides a more touch-centric configuration (you can rest your hand on a table, helps a lot when drawing etc)
  5. This position also has the speakers facing the user
  6. Would work best if there were rubber edges for it to rest on
  7. Anyone patented this yet?

This would make the case -bigger-. Any bigger than it is right now and it wouldn't fit in my pocket.

I'd rather see the left stem of the hinge get a threaded stub - and a knurled nut so I can adjust the tension on it manually at will.

I'd rather see the left stem of the hinge get a threaded stub - and a knurled nut so I can adjust the tension on it manually at will.

How would you avoid wear to the hinge mechanism? Lots of washers?

Thank you Binky for your concept, really like the rotatin scrreen idea :)

How would you avoid wear to the hinge mechanism? Lots of washers?

I wouldn't. As it gets worn down by a few micromoeters, just turn the knurled tension knob 1/1000th of a rotation (snug it up) and go on.

Looks durable and solid, I like. :)

Nice IDea to put the Speakers in the Hinge, so the space in the Lid is free for a bigger LCD and we don't have to put the speakers into the bottom case. I also think the "fat" hinge area looks nice or at least makes an unique Design. I'm for everything that allows a bigger Screen and a solid hinge, that lasts longer than an average Nintendo DS Hinge.

For anyone who was wondering, the weird step at the back is for sockets etc, as otherwise you couldn't use the device when it was plugged in.

Branding inbetween the speakers would look cool...

Back